Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 13,657 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am seriously thinking of moving to the Oregon Coast from Tucson Az and would like to know how bad or good the winters are? I suffer all summer long in the Tucson heat just to enjoy the mild winter months (originally from Ohio) But I have a lung disease Alpha 1 (genetic emphysema) and the temperatures above 100 degrees really are unbearable, so I stay indoors all summer long ! The climate graph doesn't show very cold temperatures for Seaside, but I've seen photos of snow? I don't mind snow if it only lasts days and not weeks or months , any observations or suggestions ? I'm retired so employment is not an issue, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Ford View Post
Hello, I am seriously thinking of moving to the Oregon Coast from Tucson Az and would like to know how bad or good the winters are? I suffer all summer long in the Tucson heat just to enjoy the mild winter months (originally from Ohio) But I have a lung disease Alpha 1 (genetic emphysema) and the temperatures above 100 degrees really are unbearable, so I stay indoors all summer long ! The climate graph doesn't show very cold temperatures for Seaside, but I've seen photos of snow? I don't mind snow if it only lasts days and not weeks or months , any observations or suggestions ? I'm retired so employment is not an issue, thanks !
It generally snows on the Oregon Coast less than once per year. Though last year I saw it two times. Once was a major snowstorm with over six inches of accumulation. It stayed on the ground and road surfaces for about three or four days. The other time was just light snow I saw while driving. It wasn't accumulating on the road surface. Those are the only two snowfalls I have personally seen on the coast in four years.

I don't think you should worry about snow on the Oregon Coast. But be prepared for it, because it does happen once in awhile.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I had a house in Yachats and weather stays pretty close around 60 degrees all year. There seems to be a dividing line for rain storms where they hit at Newport and above, so I suspect that Seaside would get more rain than Yachats.

Heavy rain is not the norm. Mostly, it is a sort of drippy fog. But I don't know what you get that far north in the state. When there is a big storm, it is a doozy, so make sure you get a house that is securely fastened down. Storm watching is a favorite activity at the coast and people drive over to stay at the coast to enjoy it when the big storms are raging.

There is some really good crabbing just south of there if you are interested in that.

Snow isn't impossible, but it is rare. If you would like to play in the snow, sometimes there is snow at the top of the coast range; drive to it, play, and then go home.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
You need to ask your doctor how high humidity might affect your lung condition.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Ford View Post
Hello, I am seriously thinking of moving to the Oregon Coast from Tucson Az and would like to know how bad or good the winters are?
Pretty good. There are many grey days, and there is light misting rain. But the temps are moderate. And snow is rare -- and getting more rare as the PNW's average temperatures inexorably trend higher. There may be years where you don't see any snow at all. And the Pacific Ocean is a great moderating force which keeps the temps above freezing, and it's not uncommon to have days in the 50s during the winter. You'll see people in shorts and hooded parkas riding bikes and jogging all winter long.

For comparison, an Arizona winter night is much like a PNW winter night: chilly, appropriate clothing required, but usually not freezing (and winter nights in Arizona can get cold). An Arizona winter day will be warmer for sure, but the temps in the PNW are fairly moderate during the winter. Finally, I've seen much bigger rainstorms in Arizona during the winter than I've ever seen here. Last January there was a torrential rainstorm in Scottsdale that was shutting down roads after just a few hours; that kind of intense rain is very rare here.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had a house in Yachats and weather stays pretty close around 60 degrees all year. There seems to be a dividing line for rain storms where they hit at Newport and above, so I suspect that Seaside would get more rain than Yachats.

Heavy rain is not the norm. Mostly, it is a sort of drippy fog. But I don't know what you get that far north in the state. When there is a big storm, it is a doozy, so make sure you get a house that is securely fastened down. Storm watching is a favorite activity at the coast and people drive over to stay at the coast to enjoy it when the big storms are raging.

There is some really good crabbing just south of there if you are interested in that.

Snow isn't impossible, but it is rare. If you would like to play in the snow, sometimes there is snow at the top of the coast range; drive to it, play, and then go home.
I love Yachats. We must have stayed at the Fireside Inn close to a dozen times. If there was one place I would pick to have a vacation home, it would be near there. That beach is almost deserted. I don't know how many times we walk down to the beach only only see a small handful of people.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:04 AM

240 posts, read 253,601 times
Snow near the beach is rare, but can happen during any winter. The coast, though, is normally the least-snowy part of the state, but also the rainiest.

Also, I don't know how much this factors into your search, but bear in mind that Seaside is and always has been a tourist getaway, specifically for people living in and around Portland, so expect large crowds throughout the summer and, especially, on holidays. Winters are much quieter, though some businesses shut down. Except for two roads that cross the hills to the east, US 101 is the only way to enter or leave the town and traffic can grind to a near-halt at times, like yesterday when I was there (spent 45 minutes crawling for seven miles from Cannon Beach to Seaside.) Of course, Seaside's neighborhoods and everything east of the highway are always quiet, but driving anywhere on busier days can be annoying. The entire coast attracts large crowds, of course, but Seaside and Lincoln City tend to be the busiest and most tourist-oriented towns, while other towns are usually less busy.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
If you like 50 degrees and rain, you'll be in heaven.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,657 times
Thanks everyone for the replies .. it was 104 degrees again today in Tucson, can't stick my head out until sundown !

Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you like 50 degrees and rain, you'll be in heaven.
That's about the truth of it.
Winters on the north coast can be pretty miserable.

When you visit this time of year, notice the degraded condition of the older houses, the huge amount of moss on the trees, and how many trees seem to have all the branches on one side.

That should give you a hint that the coast isn't always happy brightness and carefree sunshine.

San Diego it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland