Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I will repeat: that would give the country exactly the pictures the protesters want. It would disperse them that one time. The next day they would be back, with more protesters joining them. Eventually they would have to escalate.

Amazing that you are praising autocratic countries like Turkey and China.

We might as well just skip the formalities and have the police or military open live fire on protesters. What's the difference? You don't respect their rights anyway.
I agree here. I don't think we need or want to take fire hoses and start blasting hipsters straight down Broadway. But something has to be done. From the totality of what I'm reading, the idea that it was descalating is patently ridiculous. Rioters were/are doing serious damage and the mayor and Portland PD did not have it under any semblence of managment.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:17 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I agree here. I don't think we need or want to take fire hoses and start blasting hipsters straight down Broadway. But something has to be done. From the totality of what I'm reading, the idea that it was descalating is patently ridiculous. Rioters were/are doing serious damage and the mayor and Portland PD did not have it under any semblence of managment.
The city’s leadership found themselves a victim of their own electorate.
“Ignore it and will go away “ was apparently the strategy. They attempted to take the protestors side but the protestors being not led by any one person or not having a coherent set of goals just meant they sided with a mob. Hence two months later here we are. The feds stepping in was a blessing for them as they needed someone else to blame.
Right now apparently the only way to appease them is to withdraw federal troops and let them burn down a courthouse.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
What are you reading exactly?

You'll get a closer look I guess with feds inbound to Chicago. Maybe you can go visit with them.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The city’s leadership found themselves a victim of their own electorate.
“Ignore it and will go away “ was apparently the strategy. They attempted to take the protestors side but the protestors being not led by any one person or not having a coherent set of goals just meant they sided with a mob. Hence two months later here we are. The feds stepping in was a blessing for them as they needed someone else to blame.
Right now apparently the only way to appease them is to withdraw federal troops and let them burn down a courthouse.
Again you seem to have no idea what's happening here. The PPB were tear gassing and beating up people long before the feds were sent in to antagonize the city. The Mayor's background was covered by someone else here, you should read it and comprehend it. Anyways, some changes were approved by the mayor so saying there are no goals is uneducated. He moved towards some of their goals, so I guess they exist eh?

No courthouse is going to be burned down, and it wasn't going to be burned down prior to the gestapo coming in.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:23 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think their rights went out the window a long time ago. Protest are intended by both sanctioned and peaceful. Besieging government property is a different animal. Wild animals are running the streets and it’s time they get put down.
So you want to commit mass murder. Got it. What a big internet tough guy you are.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:55 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So you want to commit mass murder. Got it. What a big internet tough guy you are.
It's the right wing's "final solution" to the liberal problem. If they can kill off all the liberals, they think maybe they will be able to get a president legitimately elected with more than 49% of the vote.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:09 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
No courthouse is going to be burned down, and it wasn't going to be burned down prior to the gestapo coming in.

Several police precincts have been burned across the country, not to mention statues, police cars, construction sites, and many retail stores. So what makes you think a court house is off limits?

These rioters keep escalating. They are nilhilists, eager to go as far they can. They'd burn down entire cities if they had the chance.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:21 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's the right wing's "final solution" to the liberal problem. If they can kill off all the liberals, they think maybe they will be able to get a president legitimately elected with more than 49% of the vote.

You call these rioters liberal?

In 1977, a small Nazi Party wanted to march through the town of Skokie, Illinois. The city of Skokie tried to ban them. A Jewish attorney from the ACLU defended the Nazis right to march: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...lage_of_Skokie

I was in high school at the time. The case was discussed on all the talk radio stations and TV news shows (e.g., Donahue, Tomorrow). The majority of liberals defended the Nazis' right to march.

I remember when liberal meant "I might not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Can you imagine these modern protestors saying that? They'd not only ban Nazis from marching, they'd murder anyone who votes for Trump.

These protestors are not liberal. They'd murder federal agents and police if they thought they could get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland