Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:33 AM

628 posts, read 818,273 times

Advertisements

It's not just Portland, the whole Nation's cities are in decline. There are a lot of reasons for this, but they will not be fixed anytime soon. And no, Portland will still be a hellhole even after "Build Back Better" gets passed in congress. Hopeful that Greater Idaho Project happens, and then the corruption and nihilist ideals of Portland and Seattle can be isolated from the rest of the beautiful PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 01:10 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Portland Police admit their hands are tied.

Headline: 'Lawless city?' Worry after Portland police don't stop chaos: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...chaos-80613763

A crowd of 100 people wreaked havoc in downtown Portland, Oregon, this week – smashing storefront windows, lighting dumpsters on fire and causing at least $500,000 in damage – but police officers didn't stop them.

Portland Police Bureau officials say that's because of legislation passed by Oregon lawmakers this year, which restricts the tools they can use to confront people vandalizing buildings and causing mayhem. ...

Old 10-17-2021, 11:40 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
You can move to the Portland or Seattle areas without dealing with the city if you don't want to. I live a half a mile south of the Portland city limits and its like a different world. No trash, no graffiti, less wandering drug users, and more cops.
I'd say because:

1. The cancerous thinking of "defund the police" could easily spread.
2. Even if it doesn't do so right away, it's too close for comfort to a place that subscribes to that philosophy. Things can change for the worse quickly.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Maybe get a REAL freaking source Washington Examiner is extremely biased to the right and get the facts mixed.
And the vast majority of news outlets and journalists are extremely biased to the left. If you put a representative sample of journalists in a room, 90% would be Democrats, more liberal than places like Berkeley or San Francisco.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Even if they arrest them, does no good if they're released in 24-48 hours.
I do think you have a point about the courts and the 9th Circuit point of appeals. But the courts on the West Coast are, once again, an example of far left lunacy and/or deliberatly creating/allowing decline. Granted, that aspect needs to get a lot more attention than it does.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:20 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Portland is now considered a lawless city:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...chaos-80613763

I'm planning a trip next summer to the Cascades. I'll be avoiding Portland and Seattle like the plague. I doubt I'm alone with these thoughts.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:18 AM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post

I'm planning a trip next summer to the Cascades. I'll be avoiding Portland and Seattle like the plague. I doubt I'm alone with these thoughts.
Another person addled by anecdotes and consumed with fear.

Yes, there are major problems with Portland right now. Same as most large cities in America. Yes, the city government is failing to address those problems. And absolutely, their approach to addressing destructive protests is a failure.

Yet, 2.5 million people manage to live and work here without too many issues. People are leaving, but more people are still arriving.

You can still visit Portland safely, but you will likely see some things that you will find disturbing if you are unaccustomed to street poverty. The now sporadic protests will have no impact on your visit, even if the cops do nothing to address them.

Not saying people shouldn't complain, they should. We should expect better. But we should also view the issues with the proper perspective and not exaggerate. Portland is having law and order issues, and it has a major homelessness issue, and it is becoming apparent that compassion will not solve either problem. Unfortunately, moderate city leaders are being pushed to the left by national forces and are unwilling or unable to take decisive action to address these burgeoning problems, although one city commissioner has made encouraging statements lately.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:10 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post

Well, look out for Bears, Wolves, snakes, AANNDDD, the truly terrifying thought that a homeless/Antifa/Patriot prayer guy could be lurking nearby. Portland and Seattle are now the exclusive territory for killers, thieves, rapists, street types, and of course the most terrifying of all--A ton of Lawyers and salesmen, incel techies, and Microsoft Mafia members.

I was in Portland in the last week of September, me and my wife, armed to the teeth, were no match for the steroidal monsters emerging from their sidewalk tents, doped eyes bulging, blood dripping from their mouths, dismembered body parts lying everywhere, they had been cannibalizing some tourists, cooking the meat on their new Traeger smokers furnished by those libs in city hall. Yes, stay away from these cities where millions are living and working, thriving, and somewhat amused at the level of fear instilled in the readers of sensational news media.

Seriously though, I hope you can find the backbone to go to both cities and see for yourself what the media has amped up to hysterical heights. We've got some problems, we've got some stupid politicians, we've got some bad apples, BUT, we've also got some cool stuff going on that doesn't involve murder, rape, riots, or anything else that would keep me in the mountains living in fear.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Why do coffee shops seem to enrage demonstrators?

Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Why do coffee shops seem to enrage demonstrators?

They have really big windows. The bigger the window, the more fun it is to break it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland