Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 07:11 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I wish the counter protestors could be convinced to just let 100 Proud Boys speak to themselves at their stupid events and ignore them.

The city can't do much unless it starts violating peoples' constitutional rights, in this case, the Proud Boys right to assembly. (if they were to arrest the antifas that is precisely what the Proud Boys want)
Agree with you on bold line

As to what police can/cannot do. Baloney - What "constitutional rights" were any of these idiots (PB or Antifa) exercising??

Police are there to Protect the CITIZENS (both taxpaying and others - BUT mostly TAX PAYING) rights to a safe peaceable place to pursue life, liberty and happiness. Portland leadership knows NOTHIG of their duties. I don't blame Portland police. They are hamstrung by unbelievably naïve and weak leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 05:59 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Agree with you on bold line

As to what police can/cannot do. Baloney - What "constitutional rights" were any of these idiots (PB or Antifa) exercising??

Police are there to Protect the CITIZENS (both taxpaying and others - BUT mostly TAX PAYING) rights to a safe peaceable place to pursue life, liberty and happiness. Portland leadership knows NOTHIG of their duties. I don't blame Portland police. They are hamstrung by unbelievably naïve and weak leadership.
Their right to assembly? They can't arrest people for assembling and exercising free speech.

It's something I think pretty much any city would struggle with given the context that one action causes a cascade counter-reaction.

Arrest either group before they've done anything and more of their supporters will come out of the woodwork at the next event, making them harder to control. On top of that, the city would be sued and found in the wrong for violating peoples' rights.

More than the executive I blame the judicial system. A lot of the trouble makers ARE arrested. Then they are released not long after, rinse and repeat. I will be voting against every incumbent judge and DA, prosecutor, type race next election.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Their right to assembly? They can't arrest people for assembling and exercising free speech.

It's something I think pretty much any city would struggle with given the context that one action causes a cascade counter-reaction.

Arrest either group before they've done anything and more of their supporters will come out of the woodwork at the next event, making them harder to control. On top of that, the city would be sued and found in the wrong for violating peoples' rights.

More than the executive I blame the judicial system. A lot of the trouble makers ARE arrested. Then they are released not long after, rinse and repeat. I will be voting against every incumbent judge and DA, prosecutor, type race next election.
Your trying hard to keep some semblance of apology for this city's behavior . Who said arrest prior to violence? NO ONE.

But - Once violence starts. Game on for police in a NORMAL place.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:45 PM

435 posts, read 453,598 times
Antifa are the shock troops of the establishment. They do what they do everywhere in the U.S. because they're allowed to. It's really that simple. Really a perfect example of the increasing anarcho-tyranny we'll be experiencing as the country decays.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Your trying hard to keep some semblance of apology for this city's behavior . Who said arrest prior to violence? NO ONE.

But - Once violence starts. Game on for police in a NORMAL place.
Even if they arrest them, does no good if they're released in 24-48 hours.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:52 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:

That just gives them street cred.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I said "Normal" place.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:30 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,225 times
From this past Tuesday night to Wednesday morning:

Portland sees nine shootings in 16-hour span; service dog killed, police say

As of July 31, the city reported 52 murders this year, compared to 26 in the same time frame in 2020, according to police data.

Detail: https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-...ice-dog-killed

Black lives matter, so Portland is shedding its police officers. Result: shootings and murders way up. Leftist logic.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:53 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Portland's leaders know what is really important.

The Portland City Council had only met twice since July – until it was time for an important “emergency resolution."

“Could it be something addressing the gun violence emergency facing the city? Or perhaps, commissioners are fast-tracking plans to open six new outdoor shelters for our growing homeless population? Or maybe they have hit upon a compromise with public employee unions who are resisting the city’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate?"

No, it turned out it was to sanction Texas due to its new abortion law.

Read all about it here: It's not that evil Fox News, it's a critical editorial in Portland's own liberal Oregonian: https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2...-preening.html

Old 09-08-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Portland's leaders know what is really important.

The Portland City Council had only met twice since July – until it was time for an important “emergency resolution."

“Could it be something addressing the gun violence emergency facing the city? Or perhaps, commissioners are fast-tracking plans to open six new outdoor shelters for our growing homeless population? Or maybe they have hit upon a compromise with public employee unions who are resisting the city’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate?"

No, it turned out it was to sanction Texas due to its new abortion law.

Read all about it here: It's not that evil Fox News, it's a critical editorial in Portland's own liberal Oregonian: https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2...-preening.html
The Oregonian editorial page is not very liberal FYI. Recall it was The Oregonian that brought down Governor Kitzhaber over some b.s. Given what I know now about Kate Brown, I'd take Kitzhaber back in a heartbeat. I don't care that his wife was making 15k a year off the state for her environmental activism side gig.

The Oregonian is pro-business and represents the city's business class, about as liberal as any institution that supports large-scale capitalist enterprise is.

However, I think many in the city are frustrated with this kind of time wasting even if they agree with the sentiment. They have not held several meetings because of "no agenda," which is just ridiculous. Especially given that a homeless encampment is where these shootings happened. I talk to the homeless now and then, and one told me there are increasing "turf wars" going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland