Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 01:32 PM

2,664 posts, read 3,863,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
BUT, we've also got some cool stuff going on that doesn't involve murder, rape, riots, or anything else that would keep me in the mountains living in fear.
Like what? It's been almost two years a since I last spent a dollar in Portland so - seriously, what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 04:27 PM

333 posts, read 329,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Like what? It's been almost two years a since I last spent a dollar in Portland so - seriously, what am I missing?
I guessing that this is intended more as a slam than a genuine request for ideas on things to do in Portland but for anyone that may actually be interested in the Portland that exists beyond the headlines, travelportland actually has a really good website.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:14 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Portland is now considered a lawless city:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...chaos-80613763

I'm planning a trip next summer to the Cascades. I'll be avoiding Portland and Seattle like the plague. I doubt I'm alone with these thoughts.
I don't blame you one bit! as a local area resident i never go downtown or to the East side. haven't been there in several years. Look on http://portlandmaps.com to see some crime maps of the area. Safe vs not safe. It's most of the East side and downtown, some are real hotspots for violent crime.
I personally knew a lovely young lady who was randomly murdered by a stranger on the streets in Portland this past year.

Mayor Wheeler has announced new funding for crime units for the city cops, Good! but it's not quite taking effect yet.

You will not miss much by missing Portland. You'll be east of there and that area has some nice sights but only a very few small towns or pit stops til you hit the suburbs.. That's how wierd this state is- long stretches of nothing and then cities. for no sane reason whatsoever. You're either trapped in a crime infested madhouse city or else you must move 100 miles away to a very small town, IF anything is available and usually isn't ( living on the land is reserved for the lucky few who either have tons of money or have lived here for 50+ years on that land ).

oh btw don't forget the COUGARS.
so far in the past few years, two or three people have been killed and partially eaten by t hem in the general vicinity of the Columbia River gorge Cascade foothills.. Just minding their business with mountain biking or hiking, they became prey and were unprepared.

Also "bear" in mind we have around 35,000+ black bears in Oregon now.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 10-28-2021 at 01:25 AM..

Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post

You will not miss much by missing Portland. You'll be east of there and that area has some nice sights but only a very few small towns or pit stops til you hit the suburbs.. That's how wierd this state is- long stretches of nothing and then cities. for no sane reason whatsoever. .
It was to keep the ag land from being sold to developers for subdivisions. You can read more about it here:

https://www.oregon.gov/oda/programs/...s/LandUse.aspx

Old 10-28-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It was to keep the ag land from being sold to developers for subdivisions. You can read more about it here:

https://www.oregon.gov/oda/programs/...s/LandUse.aspx

Lol i know all about it, my mom was very active in planning from t he very start.

they did it wrong. they didn't stop developers,they stopped ANYONE from using thier own land, i am referring to RESIDENTS.

They DID allow big developers to come in and develop huge areas. while stopping the actual residents from doing ANYTHING , not even building one home for thier own family member.

This was dealt with partially, but this absolute totalitarian zoning has resulted in many of the headaches we have now around housing shortages and homelessness.
Some of this has been altered due to a few people realizing the original outrageous models are just NOT sustainable nor are they serving the Oregon public well.

btw much of the off limits land for residents to build a house on, or an extra one for family, is NOT ag land. Some of it is ag land but you can't build a home until you have made a zillion dollars off the land. ETC.

ok, enough discussion of this. it's not exactly the topic.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Lol i know all about it, my mom was very active in planning from t he very start.

Small world. I'll be she knew HMP.

Not really interested in "debating" this, but must have worked to at least some extent because otherwise the areas between towns would be all built up the way they are in other states. Those long stretches of so-called nothing are some of the best parts of Oregon, in my opinion, but I could see how it could be frustrating for those who wanted to build on their land.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-28-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Small world. I'll be she knew HMP.

Not really interested in "debating" this, but must have worked to at least some extent because otherwise the areas between towns would be all built up the way they are in other states. Those long stretches of so-called nothing are some of the best parts of Oregon, in my opinion, but I could see how it could be frustrating for those who wanted to build on their land.

yes indeed, sometimes t here are miles between one human pit stop or house and the next one. really bad for stranded travelers, etc.

But, there's no reason to not have small amounts of crossroads development int he natural way of developing- one or two homes at a time. and building the community slowly like a normal state does. No body is talking about " blight", just human habitation and small business. then the travelers won't be in so much trouble withe the car breaks down for instance. It wouldn't measurably reduce the amount of ag land either. But they still tyrannically control event he NON ag land.
Oregon is just now beginning to realize to has to loosen up it s draconian land use regulations since this crisis of NO affordable housing has come to roost. But all they did was allow pleses in TOWNS and cities Including Portland. Well it's a start but many people hate it if they fear a 4 plex in thier neighborhood of single family homes. Too bad, it won't hurt a thing. Unless it drives up the value of their home, then their taxes go up.

There is no good excuse for forcing people to live in crowded unaffordable cities like Portland Metro unless they are wealthy enough to buy an acreage. There should be nodes of human dwellings at decent intervals. For all kinds of reasons that people need. Oregon should n't be so extreme in that there are only two choices: big city sardine cans or isolation that is dangerous to the people forced to live that way on t he land and neighbors too far away to hear you scream.
keeping oregon so pretty for tourists that nobody can live in t he country but the wealthy or those who inherited a farm, doesn't in any way equate with the needs of these million people who have moved here since i was a child, or who grew up here and had kids and grandkids like i did.

for instance portland metro has become a monstrosity that can't handle itself in so many ways. And i am looking for a way out but it's taking a long time since i am not one of those wealthy people, and can't afford to live anywhere near where i grew up.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 11-01-2021 at 01:08 AM..

Old 11-01-2021, 01:34 AM

We must live in different Oregons, because I know plenty of people who probably don't qualify as "wealthy" who aren't packed into Portland like proverbial sardines yet aren't forced to live in such isolation that their neighbors wouldn't be able to hear them scream. Oregon has quite a few really nice-ish smaller towns that offer a good quality of life.

Except for certain stretches on the east side, I think there's a reasonable amount of wide spots in the road of the type you describe, with a few houses and maybe a store/gas station. Keeping your vehicle gassed up and in good repair as well as investing in a roadside assistance program helps circumvent the need for human habitats within reasonable walking distance.

Oh, and as soon as the Land Use Act "loosens up," the out-of-state developers will be on that like white on rice, and the result will be far from "affordable housing" for Oregon residents. That particular ship has sailed and sunk for the time being, and you can thank the latest incarnation of the California invasion along with the Airbnb/VRBO/assorted vacation rental craze for that.

Hope you find what you're looking for. There are some Midwest communities that seem pretty inexpensive and nice at the same time.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-01-2021 at 02:02 AM..

Old 11-01-2021, 02:03 AM

Quote:
We must live in different Oregons, because I know plenty of people who probably don't qualify as "wealthy" who aren't packed into Portland like proverbial sardines yet aren't forced to live in such isolation that their neighbors wouldn't be able to hear them scream. Oregon has quite a few really nice-ish smaller towns that offer a good quality of life.

Except for certain stretches on the east side, I think there's a reasonable amount of wide spots in the road of the type you describe, with a few houses and maybe a store/gas station. Keeping your vehicle gassed up and in good repair as well as investing in a roadside assistance program help circumvent the need for human habitats within reasonable walking distance.

Oh, and as soon as the Land Use Act "loosens up," the out-of-state developers will be on that like white on rice, and the result will be far from "affordable housing" for Oregon residents. That particular ship has sailed and sunk for the time being, and you can thank the latest incarnation of the California invasion along with the Airbnb/VRBO/assorted vacation rental craze for that.

Hope you find what you're looking for. There are some Midwest communities that seem pretty inexpensive and nice at the same time. You sound pretty angry about the Land Use Act, so I'll excuse myself from this conversation now.

ok , then i will excuse myself from the conversation also, after i say this: all you have to do is look at google maps to see what i was talking about. or do a lot of driving around. And no, it isn't big developers who want to build a duplex on one city lot. That is chump change to them. it's locals and people who already own the lot and live on part of it, who want to have a rental or be able to own a residence by building a plex and living in one unit. While renters pay most of the mortgage. Its the only way many people can own anything.

I've never lived anywhere else but the PNW. born and raised here , and lived here over 60 years. not too likely i am going to move to t he midwest. I have work to do here for one thing. ok that's the end of it.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:18 AM

Quote:
ok , then i will excuse myself from the conversation also, after i say this: all you have to do is look at google maps to see what i was talking about. or do a lot of driving around. And no, it isn't big developers who want to build a duplex on one city lot. That is chump change to them. it's locals and people who already own the lot and live on part of it, who want to have a rental or be able to own a residence by building a plex and living in one unit. While renters pay most of the mortgage. Its the only way many people can own anything.

I've never lived anywhere else but the PNW. born and raised here , and lived here over 60 years. not too likely i am going to move to t he midwest. I have work to do here for one thing. ok that's the end of it.
Wasn't going to answer, but I have done a lot of driving around in Oregon and don't need Google maps to tell me about what I've seen in person; I was born and raised here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland