Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:30 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...rge-in-murders

Last June, the city of Portland, Oregon, hopped on the “defund the police” bandwagon. Now, it is flooded with gun violence, and the mayor is already backtracking from his support for the cuts.

Mayor Ted Wheeler has requested $2 million in emergency funding for the police department, pointing directly to the surge in gun violence. At this point last year, Portland had seen just one homicide. This year, that number is 20, with 208 shootings in the city so far.

Wheeler backed the Portland City Council’s decision to cut $15 million from the police budget last June, which included disbanding police units that investigate gun violence. ...

A few years ago, I considered moving to Portland or Seattle. Glad I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 11:42 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Emergency funding? What happened to the money in the budget that the city saved by firing police and not having those salaries to pay?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:56 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...rge-in-murders

Last June, the city of Portland, Oregon, hopped on the “defund the police” bandwagon. Now, it is flooded with gun violence, and the mayor is already backtracking from his support for the cuts.

Mayor Ted Wheeler has requested $2 million in emergency funding for the police department, pointing directly to the surge in gun violence. At this point last year, Portland had seen just one homicide. This year, that number is 20, with 208 shootings in the city so far.

Wheeler backed the Portland City Council’s decision to cut $15 million from the police budget last June, which included disbanding police units that investigate gun violence. ...

A few years ago, I considered moving to Portland or Seattle. Glad I didn't.
You can move to the Portland or Seattle areas without dealing with the city if you don't want to. I live a half a mile south of the Portland city limits and its like a different world. No trash, no graffiti, less wandering drug users, and more cops.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
You can move to the Portland or Seattle areas without dealing with the city if you don't want to. I live a half a mile south of the Portland city limits and its like a different world. No trash, no graffiti, less wandering drug users, and more cops.
Yes, and other than some mail theft we have very little crime here in Sammamish, WA 23 miles east of Seattle. The mere talk of police funding cuts brings the worst criminals out of the woodwork. In Seattle they didn't really enforce the laws anyway, the City Council had tied their hands. You reap what you sew, as someone once said.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 PM

129 posts, read 160,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Emergency funding? What happened to the money in the budget that the city saved by firing police and not having those salaries to pay?

I'm curious too - were those funds already spent / allocated for something else?

Did most people living in Portland support defunding the police?

What led the mayor to making that decision before?

Old 03-17-2021, 11:30 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
To be clear, the city didn't fire any police due to budget cuts. Some programs were eliminated, but PPD still has a shortage of officers compared to their authorized force strength, as they did for years before the events of last summer.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:42 AM

133 posts, read 107,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, and other than some mail theft we have very little crime here in Sammamish, WA 23 miles east of Seattle. The mere talk of police funding cuts brings the worst criminals out of the woodwork. In Seattle they didn't really enforce the laws anyway, the City Council had tied their hands. You reap what you sew, as someone once said.
Sammamish is about 5 miles east of Seattle 'as the crow flies', not 23.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:44 AM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I love Sammamish!! I lived in Seattle in the late 80's. Wish I would of stayed but alas everything happens for a reason. Need to head up and visit the early.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:31 PM

157 posts, read 89,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky01 View Post
I'm curious too - were those funds already spent / allocated for something else?

Did most people living in Portland support defunding the police?

What led the mayor to making that decision before?

My day job is in North Portland, just a couple of weeks ago there was a murder in broad daylight across the street from it. Usually the murders and shootings happen at not, but not that time. In that neighborhood there's a bunch of young white people who moved in, so not surprisingly there's BLM signs everywhere on that block. Not once did I see any of them protesting any of those shootings.

Given that the mayor defunded the police and THEN got re-elected with the other person in the runoff wanting to defund it even more, I would have to conclude that most people in the city do want it defunded.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:36 AM

181 posts, read 166,221 times
I beg to differ. Most people did not want the police defunded, so they voted for the lesser of 2 evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland