Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

Hello all. This is my first post, but I've visited anonymously for awhile know since my wife and I are officially moving to Portland the beginning of June.

My wife will be at Providence Portland, and I will be just off of 26/217 in north beaverton.

We have been to Portland twice now, and have been looking for places for quite some time.

The first time we went, we looked everywhere we thought. We even considered Vancouver. We just returned from our second trip, and we are still homeless/townhouseless.

We are now considering moving up to St. Johns area, but have heard about the lack of things to do up there, and the increased crime rate. But I hear it's not as bad as SE portland.

The major problem is that we are looking for a newer place to rent. Since we need to live in the portland area, it seems it's harder to find nicer/newer townhouses/houses for rent that are AVAILABLE! We abuse Craigslist multiple times / day as well. Always checking for updates.

So, for those who are in the area, what areas do you know of, people we should contact, etc ? We are desperate because we are moving shortly, and we CANNOT make it back out there before we move.

Also, is there agencies, companies, etc that help you find places to live?

If it helps at all, our bugdet is 1300-1400 / month. We want a newer place to live. ~ 1200-1400 sq/ft. Safe area. And hopefully between Providence Portland and near 26/217 north beaverton area.

We thank you all in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
I assume you have looked around Prov Portland, on the north side of the freeway? Where you are limiting yourself is wanting a newer place to rent.

St. Johns is a community that is getting stronger and there are a number of new townhouses that the builders hoped to sell as condos. To get to where you will be working means driving over the St. John's bridge, turning right for a couple blocks, then turning left to go over the hill. Not really what I would want to do daily (but I must admit I have taken that road numerous times).

Have you looked in Forrest Heights??? That 'splits the difference' better for your commutes.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,450 times
Thanks for your reply.

We would actually be living closer to I-5, so my wife and I would both take that.

Forest Heights looks interesting, but the only problem is that I'm LIMITED to what I find online at this point. Plus, I think my wife would like to be a little closer to her job. She is commuting 45 min each way right now for her current job, and I'm trying to take the longer commute.

Thanks again. More suggestions/comments welcome.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
Why is SE Portland "bad"?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM

I don't think SE Portland is bad by any measure, but he said he wants to rent a new/newer town house. I know that a number have been built in St. Johns but am unaware of any in SE, at least close in SE that might work for his Beaverton direction commute.

Frankly, were I he, I would not limit myself to new townhouses. There are many wonderful older homes in SE.

Coach, have you and your wife asked your new employers HR Reps if you can post a housing wanted notice on their in-house BB? Networking this way can be very productive.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM

252 posts, read 953,675 times
She will be working at the main Providence Hospital in Portland?

St. Johns is not particularly an easy commute nor is it any safer or nicer than SE Portland. SE is huge by the way and while there is one area (Rockwood) that is terrible it is ridiculous to say that no one should look in SE for safe neighborhoods.

The daily commute on Hwy 26 and then 217 to and from Beaverton to Downtown Portland is the worst in the area. Going from Portland to Beaverton should be easier but still could be a drag.

If you want things to do both the Pearl District downtown or the Hawthorne district in SE are between both jobs and loaded with things to do. The Pearl likely has more rentals certainly of condos or townhomes.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM

The OP said SE was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I don't think SE Portland is bad by any measure, but he said he wants to rent a new/newer town house. I know that a number have been built in St. Johns but am unaware of any in SE, at least close in SE that might work for his Beaverton direction commute.

Frankly, were I he, I would not limit myself to new townhouses. There are many wonderful older homes in SE.

Coach, have you and your wife asked your new employers HR Reps if you can post a housing wanted notice on their in-house BB? Networking this way can be very productive.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Check out Multnomah Village. There is a lot of new condo/housing there and you wouldn't have to cross the river.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM

920 posts, read 2,814,540 times
You might try the Museum Place apartments in downtown Portland. They're only a few years old, and it's a nice building.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 PM

I am concerned about their housing budget and the implicit need to park two cars if they rent down town. Frankly, if they rent near the MAX she should be able to commute to ProvPortland easily, just use the pedestrian bridge at the MAX stop. His information about his place of work is too vague for us to be very helpful.

There are some newer infill town houses out there but most are owner occupied. The real jewels are found by networking at your place of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland