Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Thanks!! I might still have enough in the freezer to make a batch. Is it as good as it sounds?

Oh yeah, to keep on topic......I don't hate anyone, either.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Especially with enough homemade blackberry BBQ sauce.
That BBQ sauce sounds mighty tasty bro...

Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
I didn't read all the posts so if this was mentioned, please forgive me.

There is a story that when the early settlers were on The Oregon Trail there was a rickety sun-baked wooden sign in a fork in the road. The words California and Oregon with arrows were scrawled on the sign. Old-timers say those that could read went to Oregon. The sign itself, you can see remnants of it, was long ago taken, but the sight remains to this very day.
Yep, I remember that split in the trail when Jedediah Smith & I went past thar......

Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Thanks!! I might still have enough in the freezer to make a batch. Is it as good as it sounds?

Oh yeah, to keep on topic......I don't hate anyone, either.
Yeah, but use Pork or Chicken with it. It's also a good dip for fries.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
true? yes it is
that part I understand
what I do not understand is most Oregonians are from California
I don't have statistics, but that's unlikely to be true. 45% of Oregonians are native-born. That leaves 55% that came from somewhere else. It would seem unlikely that there are only 9% who came from the rest of the US and the world, and the majority from California.

But yeah, a lot of them did come from California.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
I'm not sure why Oregonians would hate Californians. We do not hate them. I have many Oregonian friends who love to take their vacations in California. I am surprised by the negative comments I read about Californians.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
It was my observation while living in Portland that while many but certainly not all California transplants raised property prices by offering more than Oregonians could afford to Oregonians who accepted their offers did change Portland in that respect. But I began seeing the biggest changes when Easterners started moving to Portland in large numbers.

It's kind of difficult to describe but it seemed there came with them different needs and demands and they brought with them a sort of Eastern way of thinking and wants that they transplanted to Portland.

I am not saying that's a good or bad thing; just different. Cities change as their inhabitants change. They are defined by who lives there. So what might be considered as a "Portland thing" today might be different according to different people depending upon who is defining it and what their background might be.

I think the show "Portlandia" is a good example of that. One half of the team that writes it is a New Yorker. He sees Portland in a different light than many Portlanders but the same as others. I know people who insist "That's not us" but others who insist "That's soPortland."

Having lived in Chicago for the first half of my life, I saw all kinds of lifestyles and changes. Chicago was and is a true melting pot of many cultures and ideas. So the changes I saw in Portland for me had more of a western vibe at first with the Californians which wasn't so different from what was there already but the biggest changes seemed to come from back East.

Just my take on it. And it's why I don't "blame' Californian's for completely changing Portland. It's been a mix of transplants. Changes happen over time when people are involved, period. But then originally being from Chicago, what do I know?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 PM

69 posts, read 74,656 times
What we need is more Californians and their influence! I love Californians and I hope a decent number of you migrate just one state over to Oregon! You are COMPLETELY WELCOME HERE, FRIENDS!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 PM

320 posts, read 417,398 times
As a Southern Californian, who will be finally moving to Portland next year, here is my take. I have been reading these forums for the past 5 years while doing research on the Portland area. I have read many comments and discussions about "California Hate", and honestly it's just silly. I don't think the Majority of Oregonians have a problem with Californians. They just have a problem with people moving to Oregon with lack of information or false ideas, and then complaining when it's "not like back home" or "rains too much". And I can understand how frustrating it would be to get priced out of an area you have lived most of your life, or to lose a job to a transplant. But this is not unique to Portland. This is just what comes along with living in the country we live in! If you don't like a state, you have the freedom to move to another state! It's great! What do you think it's like living in Southern California? I wish I could afford to buy a house in the town I grew up in! Do you think all the jobs here go only to people that were born and raised here? Most people I meet on an everyday basis are from other states. I can not tell you how many Oregon plates I see driving around everyday now! My own husband was born in Romania and moved to California when he was 8 after living in Rome and New York. My closest friends here are from New York and Michigan. Who cares where a person is from?

The stereotypes are just ignorant. Of course there are some people who fit these stereotypes, but you will have some of those types of people moving from every state, not just California! I know most of you don't feel this way and are welcoming and very kind. But for those of you who don't get, here's a reminder......Not all Californians are rich. Most are not. I WISH I could afford to pay cash for some wonderful house somewhere near NW 23rd! Nope, we will sell our house for a fair price and pay the normal 20% down on a house there. It will probably be somewhere in Beaverton or Tigard, as we can not afford to live near downtown Portland. We will still be working hard, needing two incomes to survive. My husband's job will transfer, and I will be working from home, bringing my own job with me. Southern California does not equal Beverly Hills. We do not all have a "better than you" attitude. Most of the people I meet that act like that are not originally from here, or were raised rich spoiled brats. But that is the exception and not the norm. Actually, because it is so diverse here, I'd say most people are pretty open minded and friendly for the most part. But my family doesn't want to live here anymore. We are moving to Portland because after many trips there, and years of researching, we feel it's a great fit for our family. We are tired of the insanely high cost of living here is So Cal. We are tired of the extreme heat and horrible smog. The Traffic is the worst in the country (yes I know about Portland's traffic). The list of reasons we want to move to Portland goes on and on, including the extreme beauty that is Oregon!! Just know that these Californians look forward to what makes Oregon different! Bring on the grey sky's, rain and cooler weather! What I love about Portland, is what makes it different from California! I'm looking forward to adapting to the changes. And yes, we will have to get used to the slower drivers of Oregon. It will be an adjustment. We are just used to driving faster. But for the record, I HATE tailgaters or "Bully drivers"! Driving slower will probably be a good thing! I personally can't wait to get there! And I truly hope that people take the time to get to know us rather than making ignorant assumptions just because we are from California!

Sorry, Rant over

Old 09-12-2015, 03:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
As a Southern Californian, who will be finally moving to Portland next year, here is my take. I have been reading these forums for the past 5 years while doing research on the Portland area. I have read many comments and discussions about "California Hate", and honestly it's just silly. I don't think the Majority of Oregonians have a problem with Californians. They just have a problem with people moving to Oregon with lack of information or false ideas, and then complaining when it's "not like back home" or "rains too much". And I can understand how frustrating it would be to get priced out of an area you have lived most of your life, or to lose a job to a transplant. But this is not unique to Portland. This is just what comes along with living in the country we live in! If you don't like a state, you have the freedom to move to another state! It's great! What do you think it's like living in Southern California? I wish I could afford to buy a house in the town I grew up in! Do you think all the jobs here go only to people that were born and raised here? Most people I meet on an everyday basis are from other states. I can not tell you how many Oregon plates I see driving around everyday now! My own husband was born in Romania and moved to California when he was 8 after living in Rome and New York. My closest friends here are from New York and Michigan. Who cares where a person is from?

The stereotypes are just ignorant. Of course there are some people who fit these stereotypes, but you will have some of those types of people moving from every state, not just California! I know most of you don't feel this way and are welcoming and very kind. But for those of you who don't get, here's a reminder......Not all Californians are rich. Most are not. I WISH I could afford to pay cash for some wonderful house somewhere near NW 23rd! Nope, we will sell our house for a fair price and pay the normal 20% down on a house there. It will probably be somewhere in Beaverton or Tigard, as we can not afford to live near downtown Portland. We will still be working hard, needing two incomes to survive. My husband's job will transfer, and I will be working from home, bringing my own job with me. Southern California does not equal Beverly Hills. We do not all have a "better than you" attitude. Most of the people I meet that act like that are not originally from here, or were raised rich spoiled brats. But that is the exception and not the norm. Actually, because it is so diverse here, I'd say most people are pretty open minded and friendly for the most part. But my family doesn't want to live here anymore. We are moving to Portland because after many trips there, and years of researching, we feel it's a great fit for our family. We are tired of the insanely high cost of living here is So Cal. We are tired of the extreme heat and horrible smog. The Traffic is the worst in the country (yes I know about Portland's traffic). The list of reasons we want to move to Portland goes on and on, including the extreme beauty that is Oregon!! Just know that these Californians look forward to what makes Oregon different! Bring on the grey sky's, rain and cooler weather! What I love about Portland, is what makes it different from California! I'm looking forward to adapting to the changes. And yes, we will have to get used to the slower drivers of Oregon. It will be an adjustment. We are just used to driving faster. But for the record, I HATE tailgaters or "Bully drivers"! Driving slower will probably be a good thing! I personally can't wait to get there! And I truly hope that people take the time to get to know us rather than making ignorant assumptions just because we are from California!

Sorry, Rant over
Beaverton has so many CA transplants and my old neighborhood in Portland was filled with people who came from The Golden State. Hate is hate. If you meet someone that doesn't like you based on your home state, which you will, of course, then move on. Oregon is a place like any where else. There are small minded people all over the world and you aren't going to change them. You will find your group of friends once you are settled here. Just don't talk endlessly about In And Out Burgers! Please! I am from SF and only have had one in my whole life. It's a burger, for goodness sakes! We have those in the PNW, too! Ok, I am done.. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland