Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times

Advertisements

With this morning's Reynolds High School shooting, how many of these incidents has the Portland area had this year and last?

A school district in Washington has authorized and trained all the Principles and other Administrators to carry concealed. They will be the first line of defense for our youth attending school. It is time for Portland to do the same.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM

53 posts, read 67,227 times
How many of these incidents has Portland had this year and last? I don't recall others. This also wasn't a random, lone psycho with a manifesto. Don't get caught up in the hype, how do you think these kids get guns? Your chances of being a victim of violent crime are at their lowest point in history, yet "awareness" is at an all time high. You feel that you need 5 guns, more power to you. But don't kid yourself that anybody is more secure or the learning environment is improved when you bring guns into a school.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
I couldn't tell you when the last school shooting in a Portland metro school was, so I would say they are as safe as they can be.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
I don't remember when the last school shooting was either. The only other major incident in the recent past that comes to mind are the fire at Crestline Elemetary in Vancouver, which was started by a teenager.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
blah, blah, blah, blah.

If only someone would have had a gun to kill the gun man.... just like in Las Vegas..... you know, like all of the victims who had guns.

There have been exactly ones of school shootings this year and last, the one that happened this morning. So I'm not sure what you are angling for.

How about we find what school district allows conceal carry.... here I'll do it for you. It was Toppenish.

If two police officers and an experienced weapons handler bit the dust...what hope in hell does Mrs. Crabtree have. You think she is going to seek out and shoot a 15 year old kid? That's the thing, these shooters are hell bent on completing their objective, they have planned exactly what they are going to do. Do you honestly think that they don't plan for someone having a concealed weapon? Everyone (a certain subset of folks) has this dream that a lone gun man walks into an uncrowded place gives a dialogue pulls out a gun in an open spot and before he can get off a shot a vallient hero draws his gun and puts the shooter out of his misery. But that's never how it happens. The gunmen walk in fast pull out the gun, start shooting immediately and indiscriminately and by the time anyone has clue what is going on, too many people have died already. There is confusion there is chaos.

Look at Gabby Giffords litterally 20+ people were open carrying in the immediate vicinity. Same with the Mesa Mall Shooting(s). They know that someone is going to have a gun. They plan for it. How do you shoot someone in a tight crowd?

I'm not opposed to having highly trained armed individuals with the proper credentials at schools but that's not going to stop these people from doing these things. There is no answer. But this idea in the PPS would go over like a turd in punch bowl, so keep dreaming.

I can only imagine what its like to shoot a child even if he is shooting at you, but my cousin does know what it's like and now he is really ****ed up. I can't think of a more eloquent way to put that.

As a product of Reynolds School District (from 3rd to 7th grade)..... I am sad to say this doesn't surprise me one little bit. Reynolds is awful. Its the most over crowded school district in the metro area. Whoever thought taking 1500 middle class kids from Troutdale and putting them in a school with school with 1500 poor kids from Rockwood was a good idea is a complete idiot. Reynolds has always been terrible and always will be. They need to split that district up, it's just too big and spread out.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
I had a few co-workers whose kids went to Reynolds, but I didn't realize it was that big--2,800 students evacuated in the news reports.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,413 times
Sweetie, it's princiPAL. One shooting and now it's time to arm our administrators? Schools can't even afford educational necessities, who would pay for this training and weaponry to allay statistically insignificant fears about school shootings?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
One trained administrator may not stop it from happening, but they will keep it from continuing. And all this over a teenage love rejection. What kind of animals are parents raising these days?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
One trained administrator may not stop it from happening, but they will keep it from continuing. And all this over a teenage love rejection. What kind of animals are parents raising these days?
You don't have kids do you Steve?

Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
If you want to arm the teachers wouldn't open carry make more sense? Or would it be gauche for Ms. Krabapple to strap on a holster over her oufit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland