Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,842,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Good post. I feel that my heart is there as far as where I feel I totally need to be, but on the other hand, it may take some time to move there since you gotta come to Portland with a lot of money so your held over anyhow. I dunno tho, sometihng tells me that it wouldnt take too long to get a job despite what everyone says. It seems homy enough that I can just fit right in and get lucky. I think if you choose to see a vision where the economy isnt horrible there, then it wont be as bad for you, but of course with a long period of time in thinking that way.
I feel if your heart pulls you somewhere, theres a good chance it will work out or go smoother in general.
Trust me, it would take a long time to get a job. I tried and got a job in Portland (before the economy completely tanked) where I was working about 30 hours per week. That was fine, but they quickly cut me back to 8 to 12 hours per week. I spent months trying to find another part time job or a different full-time job, but to no avail.

It REALLY is a tough place to survive right now if you don't have highly specialized and in highly demand skills.

I probably would have stayed in Portland if I could have afforded to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,717,683 times
Very True, I actually live in Corvallis, OR and would LOVE to move to Portland but with the Job Market now I am better off staying here and saving money until I can find a job in Portland. Besides I have friends up there so I just can take Amtrak to Portland and spend my weekend there. Unless you have a job lined up, it is better to just stay where you are for now.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,755,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think you have the right idea. If economics is not an issue for you, the world is your oyster. Even so, caution is a good idea but there is nothing like first hand experience and you don't know until you are actually living in a place if it is all you would hope it would be.

Since my main reason for wanting to move when I retire is economic, the truth is I don't give a flying fig if people embrace me or not. The important thing for me is to try and be secure enough so I never have to face the prospect of homelessness again as I did living in Portland.

I have made some good friends here after making a huge effort and I treasure them. They have been closer than family and I will miss them. No doubt I will be able to make friends where ever I move. If I could do it here, I could do it anywhere. But as I said before that is not a top priority and I wouldn't discount any place that would offer me a decent living.
I suppose if one has been homeless one would never want to be in that position again and economics would take priority. You are right, you can make friends wherever you move if you put forth the effort, as I certainly intend to - and I already have found several ways in which I can do that in Portland. I wouldn't be able to make this move if I were not retired.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 PM

75 posts, read 242,404 times
Things About Portland That Suck

To appease BarleySoda, a page for others to commiserate with you:

Things About Portland That Suck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland