Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 AM

121 posts, read 375,038 times

Advertisements

I talk to different people every day around town, and to no surprise they're mostly transplants, and for some reason these people have this image of Portland being this wonderful city full of nice friendly people. and the truth is....Portland isn't that much different than any other city except for it's size in comparison to places like NY, LA, Philly, etc. and that new people here now are more concerned with it's "green image" than dealing with the real issues, like schools, or the roads. the way a lot of people here think is the same type of thinking as buying a house that needs a roof and plumbing, and instead, decorating by putting in fancy carpeting and fancy drapes and ignoring the roof and plumbing.

Portland really is a superficial city and I just can't seem to understand what the attraction is. why uproot from someplace where family and friends are to move to someplace like Portland because of some "euphoria" that they have about it. work reasons is one thing, but because "it's so pretty" and "people are nice here" just isn't true, it's not. I know people are going to argue with me on that one but it's the honest truth. people are people, doesn't matter where they live or where they come from, and that's no different here than any other place.

this is no way a slam on transplants, I have some friends that are transplants that came here for different reasons and they are great people, and were great people before moving here, and they come from whole families of great people, and have friends who are wonderful people also, and came from places where supposedly everyone was "rude" and was a terrible place to live. so that one is a mystery for me as well.

just curious on what people's opinions are. I just don't get the attraction.

side note: for a single guy here in Portland, there are a lot of good looking, down to earth, single women here now who moved here for different reasons and any local knows Portland was definitely lacking those type of women. my GF, a transplant, was a MN Viking cheerleader who's now relocated here for her profession. they're out there, in great numbers now...

Last edited by Barleysoda; 07-11-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,557,061 times
First, I don't like big cities. Second, I hate transplants to Oregon as they have entirley ruined a great state. OK, got that off my chest.

I think, for a big city, Portland is quite nice. It's cleaner than east coast cities. One is less than 2 hours away from mountain skiing or the coast (from ski level to sea level). I think people are much more friendly then the east coast. The freeways are fairly easy to drive. Hiking & biking abounds.

If one has to live in a big city, Portland should be close to the top on any list.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 78,801 times
Default Why do you live there?

OP: I'm sorry your glass is 3/4 empty. I'm sure I can name ten things I like and dislike about every city I've lived in. You suggested yourself that most people you talk to like Portland and you don't. What gives you the confidence that you are the enlightened one with the true answers and everyone else is misguided?

I'll be returning to Portland and my home state within the next year or so. I don't seek euphoria. Instead, I seek a place that, on balance, has more things I like than dislike. I currently live in Sacramento. There are lots of things I like about Sacramento; however, my interests and priorities have shifted over the years and I'm looking for a change. I don't have to trash Sacramento to justify the move. I think Sac is fine. I think I'll like Portland better.

IMHO, it sounds like both you and Portland would be a better if you moved. I hope you find a place less superficial.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
There is a mystique about Portland held by people in other cities. I don't know where it came from. Maybe it is because Oregon is a beautiful state but there are lots of beautiful states. I have only lived in two cities so I am no expert but I have traveled a lot and just from chatting with friends who have moved from Portland I can only come to the conclusion that Portland is like any other town. It has its good and bad points as does every place. But it's nothing special.

I don't see what people in other cities see in this town that is so great that they are willing to risk moving here without prospect of a job. What is the attraction other than the scenery?

I think the OP is simply asking what's so great about this place?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 78,801 times
Default Why Portland?

Minervah,

You're right, I apologize if I came on too strong to the OP. Let me share some of my rationale for returning to Oregon. My wife and I have always lived in the suburbs. We've decided we want to try living in a city. Some of our attration to Portland is:

As cities go, Portland is modestly populated and relatively compact
Green (literally, not politically)
Decent public transit
Moderate weather
Walk/Bike friendly
We're "foodies" and want easy access to coffee/dining/beer, etc
Various outdoor activities within reasonable drive time
Decent theatre and cultural access
A "real" downtown as a destination

I don't expect Portland, or anywhere for that matter, to be perfect. I'm very analytical and recognize there are major tradeoffs for any important decision. Given my experience, research, and preferences, Portland appears to be a better than average destination.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,180,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleysoda View Post
Portland really is a superficial city...

side note: for a single guy here in Portland, there are a lot of good looking, down to earth, single women here now who moved here for different reasons and any local knows Portland was definitely lacking those type of women. my GF, a transplant, was a MN Viking cheerleader who's now relocated here for her profession. they're out there, in great numbers now...
I think we have a perfect example here of the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,827,275 times
Portland has a lot of amenities for a city it's size. If you look at some other similar sized cities or even larger ones, they don't offer all the same things. That's a real attraction. Plus it can really raise your quality of life to have a more ______ (in this case "mild") climate and to be doing your day to day monotonous life activities in a place where you are at least surrounded by natural beauty instead of somewhere flat and freezing or brown and hot. I'm not too much of a big city person, but I think I would be miserable living in a flat city where there were no mountains or hiking or proximity to the ocean...

Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 PM

587 posts, read 410,075 times
I think you have your answer. When you say transplants move here and find the people friendly, and the city pretty, that's because they came here from somewhere it was not for them. I'm happy to hear that, it's better than one more person saying "It's always cloudy..." Portland is a beautiful city!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:08 AM

118 posts, read 419,297 times
I agree with the OP. After working in the schools for the last couple years, people really need to refocus on the here and the now.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,711,857 times
Portland has a lot to offer, and has this strange way of drawing people into it (kind of hard to describe). I have always loved Portland, even though I live in Corvallis. I might be moving to California for school but when I am done with school I plan on moving to either Portland or up in Washington in the Puget Sound Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland