Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times

Advertisements

Well, we moved here after securing a job, but I wouldn't personally move anywhere without a job first. I think its a wise move personally and actually in addition to securing a job I would have enough savings to last for a while if it doesn't last.

While the previous posters are right that there is not a large African America population in the PDX area, I think as long as that doesn't bother you, you and your kids will be fine. There is a nice international flavor to a lot of Portland. Having moved here from the Southeast I think you'll find yourself more at home in many ways that say, Atlanta, where while there is a very highly educated and wealthy upper class of African Americans, but there is still also a very large racial divide socially. Portland is different in that it isn't dominated by two large racial groups and no one else, while it is predominantly white, there are many races here and there isn't the gaping divide.

If you can afford it I would look at the Portland International School for your children when you have them. If we could afford it my kids would be there in an instant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,060 times
One thing you mentioned is that you are in online marketing. I'd recommend you concentrate on building that business so that when you do move here (or anywhere), the job issue won't be as important. Yes, I know it takes time, but I know several people who are working in that direction.

It seems that as time goes on, loyalty from an employer to an employee is fading. One thing Portland has are many, many small businesses. I believe over 90% of all businesses here are in that category.. so if you and your husband are creative and want to go that direction, perhaps a brick and morter biz with online capabilities to increase your market share?? Just sayin'

I have several articulate, well educated black friends. They seem very confident and happy here - There are also quite a few who seem to have moved here after Katrina and other circumstances and I notice that some of those have not settled in as well...

Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM

286 posts, read 521,179 times
Hello all,

The parent corporation of the company that I’ve worked at for over 20 years decided to close our plant and will be putting 650 of us onto unemployment over the next few months. I’m one of the lucky few who're being offered a transfer from here in the bay area to Portland and for the foreseeable future, will be commuting on most weekends.

I’m white, my wife is black, we’re in our mid-fifties and I wanted to let Leisesturm know that IMHO, northern California has a richer history of progressive activism than the LA area and generally speaking, knows what to make of an articulate black woman.

I also wanted to give MeloMelo66 my initial impression after two recent trips to Portland. I’ll be renting for the first couple of years and as I’ve always wanted to try, ‘living the urban life’, we’ve limited our search to downtown.

I can’t speak to the rest of Portland, but we were both surprised at the lack of diversity downtown, compared to any other major west coast city. Of all the (far too many) apartment buildings we’ve toured, we only came across two African Americans and they were both employees, not tenants. At least in the downtown area, you just don’t see ethnic neighborhoods that have business signs printed in their native languages like you see in the bay area.

On the positive side, other than one instance, everyone we’ve met has been very friendly, outgoing and between the river and hills you couldn’t ask for prettier downtown views. Plus it’s one of the cleanest downtowns I’ve seen, someone claimed they actually steam clean the sidewalks every week!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
gypsydoc - many black people don't appreciate being called "articulate," I know you didn't mean it to be offensive but just so you know, as I recall Joe Biden got into some hot water for using that term.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times
Hi MeloMelo66. I think the others have given some sound advice and a good overview of the racial makeup of Portland. I just wanted to add that I am not currently living in Portland, but I'm a native Oregonian and lived in and around Portland for many many years and am actually planning on moving back soon. I am white, but I personally have more friends of different races than I do white friends. Did I plan it that way? Nope. Those are just the people who I ended up being friends with. Do I think about it very often (the fact that most of my friends are either black, Asian, or Latino)? Nope. Not usually. Until I read a post like this! And for all I know, I could be the oddball out. It's true that the black folks in Portland tend to live in a segregated area of the city. And it's true that the other ethnic groups are intermixed. But it's also true that most Oregonians tend to welcome anyone who comes their way, based on the person and not the race. There is always going to be the giant a-hole who thinks and acts otherwise. And that guy/gal lives all over this country, unfortunately. But I think in general the Portland attitude is one of acceptance in the long run (but don't be surprised by a period of standoffishness at first - not because of your race but simply because you aren't from there and you will be meeting people for the first time). I hope this helps - just some perspective from a "native".

Old 10-30-2009, 08:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
gypsydoc - many black people don't appreciate being called "articulate," I know you didn't mean it to be offensive but just so you know, as I recall Joe Biden got into some hot water for using that term.
I am not familiar with the incident but I will hazard a guess that Biden was perceived as being patronizing when he used the word 'articulate' with respect to a (presumed) subset of African Americans. The context is always important IMO. People don't get their heads taken off for using 'words' it is what they were saying while using the words that gets them in trouble.

H

Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 AM

234 posts, read 718,487 times
If you will be working in Portland, don't move to Portland, for the sake of your kids I would consider living in a suburb of Portland. Lake Oswego, Tualatin, West Linn, Tigard, Beaverton, they are an easy commute into Portland. The public schools in Portland are horrible, don't put your kids through such hell. Schools in Lake Oswego are excellent and only 10 miles away. People are very nice in Oregon, just pretty quiet and keep to themselves unless you need help. Just avoid Gresham and SE Portland, Ewww!!!

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
If you will be working in Portland, don't move to Portland, for the sake of your kids I would consider living in a suburb of Portland. Lake Oswego, Tualatin, West Linn, Tigard, Beaverton, they are an easy commute into Portland. The public schools in Portland are horrible, don't put your kids through such hell. Schools in Lake Oswego are excellent and only 10 miles away. People are very nice in Oregon, just pretty quiet and keep to themselves unless you need help. Just avoid Gresham and SE Portland, Ewww!!!

Good luck!
Now I don't know that much about Gresham, but "SE Portland" covers a LARGE area. And there are MANY great neighborhoods in SE Portland. Just Google "Ladd's Addition". That is a gorgeous neighborhood. Google Laurelhurst. Another gorgeous neighborhood. I couldn't afford either one of those neighborhoods personally. And there are also many great little business districts in SE Portland that are full of wonderful independent shops, restaurants, etc. I have lived in a few different SE Portland neighborhoods over the years and I liked it there a lot. I still go to SE Portland to shop, dine, relax when I am in town. I would live in SE Portland in a heartbeat before I'd live in most all of Portland's 'burbs. SE Portland has a lot of culture and character. So, OP, I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Now I don't know that much about Gresham, but "SE Portland" covers a LARGE area. And there are MANY great neighborhoods in SE Portland. Just Google "Ladd's Addition". That is a gorgeous neighborhood. Google Laurelhurst. Another gorgeous neighborhood. I couldn't afford either one of those neighborhoods personally. And there are also many great little business districts in SE Portland that are full of wonderful independent shops, restaurants, etc. I have lived in a few different SE Portland neighborhoods over the years and I liked it there a lot. I still go to SE Portland to shop, dine, relax when I am in town. I would live in SE Portland in a heartbeat before I'd live in most all of Portland's 'burbs. SE Portland has a lot of culture and character. So, OP, I wouldn't totally rule it out.
I second that. I live in SE and I have lived all over Portland. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in this city. Check this out:

In SE Portland

Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 PM

28 posts, read 95,397 times
As a non caucasian dating caucasians men I have only felt out of place in Eastern WA which i think is the most racist of all areas this side of NW. I actually was dating someone in Portland and never felt uncomfortable hanging around there. Nice place and love the people, I thought they were open and just the earth friendly nature of people is so refreshing after the snootiness of some areas of Seattle.

I dont personally think race will be an issue from what I have seen in P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland