Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM

1,026 posts, read 791,762 times

Advertisements

I know people who got tattoos done in people houses so thats why some people tattoos look like a 1st grader done them. I'm not really a fan of tattoos i just don't find any tattoos pretty I'm ok with 1 or 2 small tattoos but if you got more tattoos then a Saturday's news paper then you have problems and its a huge turn off. I Believe just like Drinking And Smoking some people get addicted to getting tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM

47 posts, read 113,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
well can you at least frickin' elaborate what was wrong with my post so I don't make the same mistake again? What part was wrong? Why?
There is no mistake, just saying I was with you (on the highlighted portion)

Quote:
I think the ubiquitous nature of the "tramp stamp" is one of the tell tale signs of how debased our culture has become. fwiw, I'm in my 20's and not a prude about "bodily" things - I just think that 99% of tattoos are tacky beyond belief. It seems dangerous too. What kind of regulation do tattoo parlors go through? Even without that concern, injecting ink into your body sounds dumb. I've even heard that red ink contains mercury! Just the stuff I want inside of me! Not to mention your skin will change as you age, which will mar the "art" aspect of it. Didn't tattoos originate out of a genuine purpose, signaling you as a member of a tribe or something? Now it's just a pathetic fad. Sure, people have the right to do whatever they want to their bodies. And I have a right to tell 'em it looks ridiculously stupid.
but then you said it was dangerous and questioned regulations which from what I see are fine in well known establishments.

mercury isnt used in tattoo ink anymore. not on the market anyway, and wasn't dangerous when in the skin from what I understand. So if the rest of your post stating they are "dumb", toxic, "pathetic fads", no purpose, and "ridiculously stupid" was suppose to have a point then I missed it.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,482,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPLive View Post
mercury isnt used in tattoo ink anymore...if the rest of your post stating they are "dumb", toxic, "pathetic fads", no purpose, and "ridiculously stupid" was suppose to have a point then I missed it.
This is true (about the mercury). Getting a tattoo from a professional is neither toxic nor unclean. My hairdresser has a lot of tattoos and they are quite beautiful. Each one is commemorative of an important date in her life.

There's a tattoo artist in Portland who donates a lot of time helping people who have been catastrophically injured in accidents, fires, or who are disfigured by natural defect. She works with trauma hospitals here in Portland and in other states.

Having spoken with this artist and some of her work, I was extremely impressed with what can be done with tattooing. Tattooing on eyebrows, for instance, can automatically deflect attention from facial scars. It can also even out skin tones and minimize certain scarring. I digress~~

Anyway, good work is never cheap. It doesn't bother me if anyone has a tat; it just isn't for me. Like another poster said, live and let live ~

Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 PM

199 posts, read 801,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPLive View Post
There is no mistake, just saying I was with you (on the highlighted portion)

but then you said it was dangerous and questioned regulations which from what I see are fine in well known establishments.

mercury isnt used in tattoo ink anymore. not on the market anyway, and wasn't dangerous when in the skin from what I understand. So if the rest of your post stating they are "dumb", toxic, "pathetic fads", no purpose, and "ridiculously stupid" was suppose to have a point then I missed it.
I was unaware of the mercury bit; just something I read about a bit back, so I thought I'd mention it. As for it not being dangerous in skin, well they said that about dental amalgams too and I have my doubts there.

As for me having a point, nah, it was just a stream of consciousness anti-tattoo rant. I do remember reading pretty recently of a tattoo parlor in Canada that was recommending all people who'd been there in the past two years get tested for some disease because of an infected needle, but I don't know the details on that story.

I'm sure there are plenty of reputable tattoo places that are perfectly safe, but the idea of injecting one's skin with ink just strikes me as risky on a gut level. Can science really tell us what the long term health effects might be?

One thing I will admit is that some tattoos turn me onto women as sex objects. The tramp stamp in particular - many may well be arrows telling you where to go. Paradoxically, they make me lose respect for her as a person.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 AM

892 posts, read 2,395,009 times
Quote:
One thing I will admit is that some tattoos turn me onto women as sex objects. The tramp stamp in particular - many may well be arrows telling you where to go. Paradoxically, they make me lose respect for her as a person.
The most hilarious stamps I've ever seen include a literal "THIS END UP" shipping stencil (complete with arrow) and a pair of crossed checkered flags (which, for anyone unfamiliar with racing, implies "finish here"). Did they instantly objectify the bearer in my eyes? Sure. Were they both waitresses and did I tip more because I thought they were entertaining? Yup.

I'd agree that the effect, in fact the very purpose, of the stamp is to sexually objectify. However I think it's sort of ridiculously old school and pre-feminist to believe that it's somehow not the woman's own free choice to invite such a gaze. Do I think it's silly? Sure. Do I think all women exist just to please my eyes and measure up to some idea I have about how their lives should go? Um, no.

Ink it up ladies, if you so desire. In the words of Monty Python, "I've already got one you see" so why would I care how all the other ladies out there decorate their bodies? They're not my kid, they're not even my friend, so what business is it of mine?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 AM

199 posts, read 801,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
I'd agree that the effect, in fact the very purpose, of the stamp is to sexually objectify. However I think it's sort of ridiculously old school and pre-feminist to believe that it's somehow not the woman's own free choice to invite such a gaze. Do I think it's silly? Sure. Do I think all women exist just to please my eyes and measure up to some idea I have about how their lives should go? Um, no.
yea, I generally agree with this. Women (and men) should have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. At the same time, I reserve the right to honestly express the way I feel about it. If I think a tattoo makes a woman look like a trashy ****, I'm going to say so. If she finds it offensive, well, that's her problem. At the same time, she's under no obligation to care about what I think. Most women probably don't anyway, which is fine by me.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,207,280 times
I'm 49 y.o., and have never liked them on either sex. Screams low class and trash in most, if not all cases. Just like if I see someone attractive and well dressed, if they then start smoking (or exhibit a tattoo), it's a turnoff.

It's graffiti on the body.

And I generally think bumper stickers on old or new cars look trashy, but I always read them nonetheless.

Tattoos are sort of like a typo on a resume.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,482,399 times
Quote:
I reserve the right to honestly express the way I feel about it. If I think a tattoo makes a woman look like a trashy ****, I'm going to say so. If she finds it offensive, well, that's her problem.
Why would anyone ask what you think of their tattoos? I've seen many people with tattoos, some nice and some very poorly done. But not one person's every asked me, what do you think of my tattoos?

If they don't ask your opinion, what's the point of saying anything? If I met you and your grooming standards were ungodly disgusting to me, I sure as heck wouldn't tell you that. Or if I did, that'd be OK, because if it hurt or bothered you, that'd be your problem.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Why would anyone ask what you think of their tattoos?
Well, in fairness to that poster, this is a thread in which that exact question "What do you think of tattoos on women?" was asked lol.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
Tattoos used to be considered trashy and blue-collar tough and now everything trashy and blue-collar tough is trendy.

I remember when the preppy/yuppie look was the trendy look (I am a child of the 80's), everybody wanted to look all rich and clean. White keds, Izod, polo sweaters, guess jeans... Now everybody wants to look the opposite. I guess each generation wants to do the total opposite of the one which came before it.

I like the look of some tattoos, but I would never do that to myself. I prefer the temporary body art - it's more romantic and also is more "in the moment".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland