Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM

43 posts, read 206,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
What is "progressive" about a chick getting some illegible design on the side of her neck, or up and down her arms?

That's not progressive. That's straight out of the trailer park.
I think being progressive is letting someone do their own thing even if you may not agree or understand. Its not your body it's theirs, They did, you didn't. Thats' why there's chocolate and vanilla. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:59 AM

47 posts, read 113,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
And to assume that I am uneducated or stupid or anything else....well, by assuming that you are already more ignorant than I am.
Reading this thread I try to imagine what life some people go through in order to be so judgemental at the drop of a hat. like a one answer fits all.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiobill View Post
I think being progressive is letting someone do their own thing even if you may not agree or understand. Its not your body it's theirs, They did, you didn't. Thats' why there's chocolate and vanilla. To each his own.
That's called libertarian(ism).

Progresivism is not necessarily about "to each his own" per se (although in ways on certain social issues, it can be), but it is instead more about social progression towards whatever the ultimate goals for said society are determined to be (in our case, usually goals associated with American Liberalism such as universal health care, equal rights across the board, heightened environmental standards, more emphasis on public transportation, etc). Progressivism is not really about feeling "to each his own". That is more liberatarian philosophy, which should not be confused with today's American Conservative/Republican that thinks he or she is a Libertarian.

With all that said, it still doesn't really make much sense to apply any political term to the action of "accepting other's tattoos" lol ... although I would argue that most people with tattoos are probably either liberal, progressive, or libertarian (or I should say at least the tattood people that might actually care about politics). Could be wrong on that though.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 PM

449 posts, read 877,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Man, I wish I was born in the 80s instead of the 90s. That's how I dress and people think I'm overdressed lol

But to answer the topic, all I can say is Megan Fox. Here is an example of a girl that's absolutely gorgeous without tattoos. After inking herself to death, she now looks and acts like complete trailer trash, which really takes her down a couple of notches in my book. So yeah, I'm not a fan of tats on girls either. As you can see from the way I like to dress, I'm a fan of the clean cut look with classic clothes, so tattoos, or dressing like a jock (i.e. those college guys that think they are well-dressed with their air jordans, nike shorts/jeans, baseball cap, white-tee/nike shirt/jersey) looks immature in my opinion. Tattoos to me just scream I have a chip on my shoulder/am rebellious and that is a huge turnoff. Even if it has meaning, I feel like there are better ways of expressing your triumph or whatever than baring it on your skin permanently for the whole world to see it
We think alike! And wait...........that is not all, imagine when they get real old, and those tattoos begin hanging................

Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
We think alike! And wait...........that is not all, imagine when they get real old, and those tattoos begin hanging................
Or this :
The Argyle Sweater Comic Strip, December 24, 2009 — UCLICK GoComics.com

Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I really don't like tattoos and it seems that most are cheaply done with little artistic merit. It is also tempting to view them as a lowly attempt to conform with the hipster, biker, or other social groups. On the other hand I also wear a coat and tie to work. I do it because I want to be employed, but it just seems to be on an absolute low level when it comes to mindless conformity. I can blame the work requirements, but very few are in a similar situation. It seems that there is a huge proportion of the population supporting this or even more formal attire for weddings, funerals, Sunday church services, graduations, etc, etc. Sorry, it is really stupid to wear a wool jacket even in hot summer weather. We no longer live in dank, cold European castles. I don't even want to know the history and customs of wearing a tie. So IMO the vast majority of the population behaves at least as mindlessly and conforming as those who have tattoos. I plan on retiring in less than a year. I will toss out the collection of ties and jackets and keep only the minimum I might need for funerals or other similar events.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
No, sure there be a law against tatooes and body piercing? No. Are people with tattoes "demon possessed" or pagans or cannibalistic freaks? No. However, many people will disagree with me, but tattoes and extensive body piercing and "punk rock", "goth", hipster, and emo look like crap and are very tacky. I think they suck, but each to his and her own. It ain't like the Pacific Northwest has a patent on tattoes and piercing and ultra-bad fashion, but it seems to be far more blatant there than most other areas of the country, or world even, except maybe parts of Europe, etc. I know you can't always go by appearance, but I would much rather look at someone (and be waited on by someone) that at least looks human instead of multiple tramp stamps, piercings in every area of body, including tongue, and looks like a circus freak. In the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida, there was a picture of a man that worked for Barnum and Bailey circus that was tattoed all over his body, he made a living showing them off (this was maybe close to a century ago). Boy, he would starve to death in this day and age! No one in Portland or Seattle would even pay attention.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 AM

47 posts, read 113,708 times
Quote:
In the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida, there was a picture of a man that worked for Barnum and Bailey circus that was tattoed all over his body, he made a living showing them off (this was maybe close to a century ago). Boy, he would starve to death in this day and age! No one in Portland or Seattle would even pay attention.
ahahahhahahhahhahhahhhahhahhhahahahahah ha ah ah ah hhaha ha ha

o man thats power

What I find more offending in appearance than that of tattoo's and piercings are fat/overweight and obese people walking around. not to mention that these fat people are about %100 more at risk of death and disease than a fit person with tattoos and piercings. and have health issues gallore. ick!

Last edited by BPLive; 12-26-2009 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:53 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
I will tell you "tramp stamps" that look absurd - those that look like bat wings or mustaches above the crack of their hineys. (By the way, what do they mean by "tribal tattoes"?)

Old 12-26-2009, 06:26 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPLive View Post
ahahahhahahhahhahhahhhahhahhhahahahahah ha ah ah ah hhaha ha ha

o man thats power

What I find more offending in appearance than that of tattoo's and piercings are fat/overweight and obese people walking around. not to mention that these fat people are about %100 more at risk of death and disease than a fit person with tattoos and piercings. and have health issues gallore. ick!
When you combine fat and inked its 2x worse.

I agree I would rather see a fit person with tattoos and piercings, but often... you see the most ink on people who have WAY too much skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland