Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,503,277 times

Advertisements

People delivery babies that size all the time, although that is a big baby. I think it is good that he will at least give you a trial of labor. They will monitor you and if the baby shows signs of distress that doesn't go away, they will do a c-section. None of my sons were that big but I had to have an emergency c-sec. with my oldest son because of fetal distress. I was still able to later deliver 2 sons vaginally with no drugs at all. Lots of people think "once a c-section, always a c-section". Unfortunately there are still some doctors that believe that way too. My natural birth deliveries were so much better than my c-section, and a very quick recovery time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,751,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husbands wife (MIL) delivered both her babies 9 1/2 and 10 lbs at age 18 and then 19 vaginally, no medication. The first of which she had at 43 weeks , which they don't allow anymore. It can be done and is done every day. Doctors want to rush you with your labor, its a natural thing and it can be a long drawn out event. Do not let them rush you or your baby into anything. If you are both healthy and safe and everyone seems to be doing fine IMO progress as you naturally would and insist they follow your instructions. Write down your birth plan and tell them they are to follow it unless an emergency situation arises. Just because he wants that baby out so he can get home for dinner doesn't mean that's whats right for you or baby
Yeah they do.

I realize this is an old thread but still, it can be informative for any mom to be who has the same fears.

Anyway my son (15 years old now) went to 43 weeks. I hate the term "allow". No one allowed or didn't allow me to do anything. My doctor and I worked together to make the right decision, and since my baby was still doing fine, he went to 43 weeks. I was actually scheduled for a non-stress test the following day after I went into labor.

I agree on other counts about not letting anyone rush you, use sound judgement of course but don't let anyone tell you that this or that "must" happen just based on arbitrary rules and "how it's done".

So I had him at 43 weeks, vaginally, and it was a VBAC (1st was emergency c-section), no induction, no drugs, nada. My doc was there for most of the 32 hours I was in labor, just patiently waiting and making sure all was well but very hands-off, low/no intervention kind of experience. They didn't call him the "male midwife" for nothing. I had some trouble with nurses wanting me on th emonitor all the time. The doc showed up and shooed them away. Every time they wanted me to lie down with the monitor on, the contractions would slow and they'd get all worried about that. When they left me the hell alone (I kept going into the shower and letting hot water run all over my back while I sat on the birthing ball), my contractions would pick right back up. I was reacting like a wild animal, not to be melodramatic, but yes, the presence of too many strangers was heightening my anxiety and interfering with labor. I was much better off "off by myself' somewhat and it was obvious that I was not laboring nearly as well with people bugging me. There was no medical reason for the monitoring to that extent, just more "procedure". Plus they were overly concerned with me having a hospital gown on where I wanted to be naked. I had a private room for crying out loud! You would've thought they'd never seen a naked pregnant lady before. Being nurses and all.

He was 10 pounds, 13 ounces. He was pretty huge, looked like a four month old on the day he was born and remained pretty chunky until age four or so. He is now 5'9" and about 100 pounds dripping wet.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,973,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yeah they do.

I realize this is an old thread but still, it can be informative for any mom to be who has the same fears.

Anyway my son (15 years old now) went to 43 weeks. I hate the term "allow". No one allowed or didn't allow me to do anything. My doctor and I worked together to make the right decision, and since my baby was still doing fine, he went to 43 weeks. I was actually scheduled for a non-stress test the following day after I went into labor.

I agree on other counts about not letting anyone rush you, use sound judgement of course but don't let anyone tell you that this or that "must" happen just based on arbitrary rules and "how it's done".

So I had him at 43 weeks, vaginally, and it was a VBAC (1st was emergency c-section), no induction, no drugs, nada. My doc was there for most of the 32 hours I was in labor, just patiently waiting and making sure all was well but very hands-off, low/no intervention kind of experience. They didn't call him the "male midwife" for nothing. I had some trouble with nurses wanting me on th emonitor all the time. The doc showed up and shooed them away. Every time they wanted me to lie down with the monitor on, the contractions would slow and they'd get all worried about that. When they left me the hell alone (I kept going into the shower and letting hot water run all over my back while I sat on the birthing ball), my contractions would pick right back up. I was reacting like a wild animal, not to be melodramatic, but yes, the presence of too many strangers was heightening my anxiety and interfering with labor. I was much better off "off by myself' somewhat and it was obvious that I was not laboring nearly as well with people bugging me. There was no medical reason for the monitoring to that extent, just more "procedure". Plus they were overly concerned with me having a hospital gown on where I wanted to be naked. I had a private room for crying out loud! You would've thought they'd never seen a naked pregnant lady before. Being nurses and all.

He was 10 pounds, 13 ounces. He was pretty huge, looked like a four month old on the day he was born and remained pretty chunky until age four or so. He is now 5'9" and about 100 pounds dripping wet.
That was 15 years ago I'm talking now. Mostly only midwives allow for that long a pregnancy not offices. My husband is 15 years older than your son. I'm only talking early 1980's not 40's.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,751,346 times
Quote:
That was 15 years ago I'm talking now. Mostly only midwives allow for that long a pregnancy not offices. My husband is 15 years older than your son. I'm only talking early 1980's not 40's.
What does that even mean? What are you trying to say about the 80s and the 40s?

Anyway you are missing the point. No one "allows" a grown woman to do anything. What are they going to do, drag you in, hold you down and shoot you up with pitocin?

Of course, the time to discuss all of this is when you first start prenatal care and I am not suggesting someone go balls to the wall "at war" with their health care provider, but women do have the right to make informed decisions and should be heard and respected. There are many many ways to monitor the health of the baby and the placenta past the official due date and those methods have surely increased in 15 years, not decreased.

Finding an OB/Gyn like the one I had was not easy even fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago "most" docs would not work with a mom in this manner either, and it was also primarily midwives who were more flexible, but my insurance didn't cover midwife services so I researched and researched and found a physician whose thinking and philosophies was in line with my own.

And for the record, he is still practicing today so there's at least one doc in my city who bases these decisions on the health of mother and baby and not some magic number.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,517,585 times
10 pounds is really not that bad . I was 10.5 when. I was born. Everybody in my family was big. 10 +. We are Swedish though. Seems like babies are bigger In some parts of the world. I know one girl who had a baby, 12 pounds, no c section

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,238,431 times
I have had two - both with shoulder dystocia. The first one experienced problems in the delivery (vaginal) and it left me quite bitter. I had an epidural (pitocin induction) and could not push well. The second one was 100% unmedicated and was easy to deal with physically (using various dystocia maneuvers) and he popped out. I walked out of the hospital 3 hours later without a scratch. I went to 42 weeks.

A big baby and even a baby getting stuck does not mean all doom and gloom. It does not mean C-section (I could go on forever about the various false assumptions spouted in this thread about actual pelvic disproportion, dystocia, and the factors involved... having had two myself). It just means there are better ways of labouring to help this along. I highly recommend unmedicated labour - yes, it hurts like hell, but it is also important to listen to your body in labour as your physical mobility may be necessary.

Good luck! I know this is an old thread... but for anyone reading.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,238,431 times
Quote:
You are "allowed" to go as long as you want, you just have to put up with a lot of grief and scaremongering after a certain date (in some places, as ridiculous as 38-39 weeks!). I went until 42 weeks and refused any intervention, only consenting to occasional fetal monitoring daily after 42 weeks After my 1st horrific induction, I wasn't willing to go through that again.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times
Even babies with big heads can be birthed vaginally. My baby was nearly 9lbs and her head circumference was 38cms (97th percentile) and I'm pretty small (but the doctor measured my pelvis and said I was ok to give birth naturally but then again she also thought my baby would be on the smaller side of average!) and I had a normal vaginal birth, no epi and only a 2nd degree tear.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,517,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Even babies with big heads can be birthed vaginally. My baby was nearly 9lbs and her head circumference was 38cms (97th percentile) and I'm pretty small (but the doctor measured my pelvis and said I was ok to give birth naturally but then again she also thought my baby would be on the smaller side of average!) and I had a normal vaginal birth, no epi and only a 2nd degree tear.

Are you from Finland?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you from Finland?
Not originally but for the last 6 years, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy