Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
...my wife's mother is a pediatric nurse, so i will let her and my wife discuss that one....
I agree with your sentiment, but realize that by being a pediatric nurse, she is likely going to see only the benefits of doing it 'her' way and completely dismiss midwifes and homebirth all together basically out of ignorance. She's knows no better because she has not been shown all the facts, because of the institution she belongs to. Her well being depends on it, her pay check etc.

I STRONGLY recommend you watch that film with your wife and do some research on your own before you just blindly follow the advice of anyone. The stats on birth in the states are completely deplorable. Please, please watch the movie.

YouTube - &#x202a;Give Back the Birthing Power to Women: Movie Clips from "The Business of Being Born"&#x202c;&rlm; <-8min more preview

Last edited by Jabronie; 07-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added more preivew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM

764 posts, read 1,559,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
I agree with your sediment, but realize that by being a pediatric nurse, she is likely going to see only the benefits of doing it 'her' way and completely dismiss midwifes and homebirth all together basically out of ignorance. She's knows no better because she has not been shown all the facts, because of the institution she belongs to. Her well being depends on it, her pay check etc.

I STRONGLY recommend you watch that film with your wife and do some research on your own before you just blindly follow the advice of anyone. The stats on birth in the states are completely deplorable. Please, please watch the movie.
Yikes, what do you mean deplorable. I was planning on watching the movie but let me know what you mean. And your right about my mother-in-law, she only does things the "medical field" way. She is completely against other herbal remedies. Side note* My wife and her family are from India and my father-in-law is all about the herbal stuff while my mother-in-law is totally against it.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yikes, what do you mean deplorable. I was planning on watching the movie but let me know what you mean. And your right about my mother-in-law, she only does things the "medical field" way. She is completely against other herbal remedies. Side note* My wife and her family are from India and my father-in-law is all about the herbal stuff while my mother-in-law is totally against it.
Basically forced epidurals, C-sections rates + induced labor skyrocket as you close in on friday so the doc can have the weekend off, only 7% of docs are present during the actual birth, drugs that effect the baby and possibly the first bonding experience, world health agencies recommend societies not exceed a 15% c-section rate - we are over 30%, un-natural birth positions, the 'establishments' way of doing things basically sets all this into motion via stuff they enforce - like a snowball type effect..... and insane expenses just off the top of my head. Like I said, just be educated and watch the movie, I'm sure it's easily googable if you don't have netflix.

just incase you don't see my above edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwqLrHMbK1g <--8 more minutes from the movie

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,810,075 times
Quote:
I agree with your sediment, but realize that by being a pediatric nurse, she is likely going to see only the benefits of doing it 'her' way and completely dismiss midwifes and homebirth all together basically out of ignorance. She's knows no better because she has not been shown all the facts, because of the institution she belongs to. Her well being depends on it, her pay check etc.

I actually agree with Jabronie, but it is your wife's decision, OP. I looked up online our area hospitals' stats on c-sections, and the numbers are 30-34%. That is completely unacceptable to me. I am lucky to be living in a state that permits midwives to birth babies. Unless I'm high risk, I will be doing everything at home. That scares me a lot less than having major, unnecessary surgery. My husband is onboard with the decision after seeing the movie both Jabronie and I mentioned.

My best friend had her first this year. She is a pediatric nurse, and her husband is a neonatalogist. She wanted very badly a natural childbirth with a doula, but her husband refused to allow it. Her OB started poking around and "accidentally" broke her water. My friend broke down in tears understanding that her desire for a natural birth had just been "busted". She was induced and gave birth on the doctor's timetable. Now, is that so terrible? Do the ends justify the means? Maybe. Maybe most people don't care. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just a personal decision. I prefer to be armed with information though. That's just me.

All that is off topic of the money though. It is cheaper to birth at home. Insurance companies haven't screwed that one up yet.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:40 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,756,044 times
Quote:
Deplorable meaning our maternal morality rates and how we give birth in the US.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,756,044 times
Quote:
Basically forced epidurals, C-sections rates skyrocket as you close in on friday so the doc can have the weekend off, only 7% of docs are present during the actual birth, drugs that effect the baby and possibly the first bonding experience, world health agencies recommend societies not exceed a 15% c-section rate - we are over 30%, un-natural birth positions, the 'establishments' way of doing things basically sets all this into motion via stuff they enforce - like a snowball type effect..... and insane expenses just off the top of my head. Like I said, just be educated and watch the movie, I'm sure it's easily googable if you don't have netflix.
OP--- All true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I actually agree with Jabronie, but it is your wife's decision, OP. I looked up online our area hospitals' stats on c-sections, and the numbers are 30-34%. That is completely unacceptable to me. I am lucky to be living in a state that permits midwives to birth babies. Unless I'm high risk, I will be doing everything at home. That scares me a lot less than having major, unnecessary surgery. My husband is onboard with the decision after seeing the movie both Jabronie and I mentioned.

My best friend had her first this year. She is a pediatric nurse, and her husband is a neonatalogist. She wanted very badly a natural childbirth with a doula, but her husband refused to allow it. Her OB started poking around and "accidentally" broke her water. My friend broke down in tears understanding that her desire for a natural birth had just been "busted". She was induced and gave birth on the doctor's timetable. Now, is that so terrible? Do the ends justify the means? Maybe. Maybe most people don't care. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just a personal decision. I prefer to be armed with information though. That's just me.

All that is off topic of the money though. It is cheaper to birth at home. Insurance companies haven't screwed that one up yet.
Yes that is the one thing that insurance companies haven't screw up with yet. And like I said before if it wasn't that I fell into the category for health reasons I would definitely give birth at home. I would also opt for a birthing center instead of a hospital because they tend to be cheaper as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM

764 posts, read 1,559,015 times
Wow...u gave me a lot to think about. That is some crazy stuff.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,810,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post

Yes that is the one thing that insurance companies haven't screw up with yet. And like I said before if it wasn't that I fell into the category for health reasons I would definitely give birth at home. I would also opt for a birthing center instead of a hospital because they tend to be cheaper as well.
Excellent point. I recently told my mom (a child of the 40's) that I would be birthing at home when the time comes. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Don't tell your dad." Interesting, isn't it? They were both born at home but find it odd at best to do so in this day and age. Forget it, I say. I'll deliver on baby's timetable, not some doctor's.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Wow...u gave me a lot to think about. That is some crazy stuff.
If it's a boy (not to get too OT), make sure you read up and educate on circumcision; There is a lot of BS and red tape type stuff behind that practice as well. Like I said before, just make sure you educate yourself before you make a final decision and be wary of who is giving you what info for what benefit whether that be yours or theirs. Best of luck

Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
But, the issues of home birth, nursing...

Those are personal decsions a MOTHER makes, they are NOT to be made based on saving money!

Yes, we all agree nursing is best for baby. That being said, sometimes a Mother cannot nurse, and she should not be judged or guilt tripped into it based on finances.

It is not about money. It is what will work best for a first time Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy