Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM

111 posts, read 347,926 times

Advertisements

I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant with a baby girl. Pregnancy hasn't been too bad except for really bad acid reflux and heartburn at night which causes me not to get any sleep. Yesterday I was having contractions so I went in and they sent me home. They said I am in early labor and they were confident that I would be back later that night. Well here I am still no baby! plus contractions went away . I was checked at my last appointment on wednesday and I was dilated a fingertip & 80% effaced. Yesterday I was dilated 1 still 80% effaced. A tiny bit of progress. I need to know how to speed things up. I want my body back! I went on a hour long walk today but all I got was pelvic pain and shortness of breath. I heard sex would help but that is out of the question. What else can I do!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,410,751 times
Wait. Your baby's not even due for over a week, and it it's your first it will probably be another week past then.

Think about your reflux, now consider that babies born before their EDD are more likely to have reflux.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,006 times
Until your water breaks you should wait. After the water breaks you have to deliver within 24 hours. That's what they told me. Hang in there, another week?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,258,192 times
My son (first born) was about three weeks past due. For that last month of pregnancy my wife had me driving her on a rough, gravel mountain road nearly every night. I don't think it helped a bit. Patience is the best gimmick you'll find. (I don't think sex is recommended this far into your pregnancy anyway. My wife told me it wasn't permitted at all during the pregnancy -- or for a year afterwards!)

Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 PM

355 posts, read 914,430 times
Sleep. You will want that more than you want your body back.
Start getting things in order, pre-make and freeze some meals, organize a closet or two. She'll be here before you know it!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,751,346 times
My second born was 3 weeks past his due date. I heard everything you were supposed to try, and I tried it all, and I don't think it worked. I walked until I was in tears (he was huge and so was I plus it was summer in Texas!).. I don't think it made any difference.

I agree with the other posters. Sleep and get everything absolutely ready and just try to be patient. Babies come when they are ready!

And as far as sex goes, I was just reading how they don't even think it works to help naturally bring on labor even though they used to think that it did. It is safe though, for someone who doesn't have a high risk pregnancy (since one poster mentioned that)...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM

687 posts, read 1,496,132 times
Sorry, but all 3 of mine were 2 weeks late. I'm convinced if it weren't for modern medicine I'd STILL be pregnant with my 23 year old.

I was so sick of being pregnant, I sat at the top of a short flight of stairs and bounced down on my butt. All I got was butt bruises. (No. I didn't really expect it to work, but I had to try everything)

Sit back, relax, read a book. Baby comes when baby wants.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,503,277 times
My oldest son was 17 days overdue, my second son was 12 days overdue and my youngest son was 14 days over. Your baby will come when it is either ready or when your doctor intervenes. Take this time to get some rest and make sure you have done all the little things to make life easier when you get home, like maybe making some meals and freezing them.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,973,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Until your water breaks you should wait. After the water breaks you have to deliver within 24 hours. That's what they told me. Hang in there, another week?
That's because they want to be in and out and home for dinner. Baby's are born on OUR time now when it's convient for us... Not when they're ready. If its your first and ur 38 weeks you could go another 5 believe it or not. 43 weeks is usually as long as they'll let you go and I've had several gfs go that long with their first. Baby will come when she comes. We were all like that at the end but there's nothing you can do really.

All that stuff about spicy food and castor oil aren't proven. In for a penny in for a pound. My daughter is 3 and I still want my body back!!! I stopped breast feeding after a while cause I almost felt claustrophobic in my own body being on call all day and night ! I felt like a full service milk station . Of course that was after the hormones made me feel like I was going crazy !

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,751,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husbands wife (MIL) delivered both her babies 9 1/2 and 10 lbs at age 18 and then 19 vaginally, no medication. The first of which she had at 43 weeks , which they don't allow anymore.
And when I posted that I went to 43 weeks, you said..

Quote:
That was 15 years ago I'm talking now. Mostly only midwives allow for that long a pregnancy not offices. My husband is 15 years older than your son. I'm only talking early 1980's not 40's.
As if it were a relatively rare thing and a crazy thing to expect.

Yet now...

Quote:
That's because they want to be in and out and home for dinner. Baby's are born on OUR time now when it's convient for us... Not when they're ready. If its your first and ur 38 weeks you could go another 5 believe it or not. 43 weeks is usually as long as they'll let you go and I've had several gfs go that long with their first. Baby will come when she comes. We were all like that at the end but there's nothing you can do really.
What you are saying here (in this thread) is contradictory compared to what you said to me in the other thread about big babies.

Now, I am as anti-intervention and pro-mama power as you can get. I think we are advocating the same things here, I am just not understanding the apparent conflicting comments.

The thing about the water breaking is not a hard and fast rule either, the infection risk comes from vaginal exams after the water breaks, and that's the first thing they wanna do when you are in the hospital, so I'd not be worried about the 24 hour thing but more about them keeping their hands out of there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy