Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM

764 posts, read 1,559,015 times

Advertisements

So can a midwife do an epidural or is it all natural if you do it at home? My wife is not good with pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,756,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Excellent point. I recently told my mom (a child of the 40's) that I would be birthing at home when the time comes. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Don't tell your dad." Interesting, isn't it? They were both born at home but find it odd at best to do so in this day and age. Forget it, I say. I'll deliver on baby's timetable, not some doctor's.
Its funny because my MIL when she gave birth to all her children did it in a hospital because it was the 'in' thing to do at the time. Yet she was born at home in London shortly after World War 2. When I told her about the problems I was having with insurance she was like 'Lets do this at home.' She felt if she gave birth at home in her own surroundings she would have had a better experience.

My mother on the other hand is like are you nuts! But hey at least you can have the family there! I am like NO WAY!

If I gave birth at home I would have a pool, ABFab dvds to make me laugh and get in all the sleep I can.

OP be prepared for sleepless nights. Even after they start sleeping through the night, those babies wil find something to wake you up at one in the morning about.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But, the issues of home birth, nursing...

Those are personal decsions a MOTHER makes, they are NOT to be made based on saving money!

Yes, we all agree nursing is best for baby. That being said, sometimes a Mother cannot nurse, and she should not be judged or guilt tripped into it based on finances.

It is not about money. It is what will work best for a first time Mom.
So little of what I'm preaching has to do with $$.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,756,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
So can a midwife do an epidural or is it all natural if you do it at home? My wife is not good with pain.

It is usually all natural. I do not know if they do gas and air here in the US. But the midwife does relaxing techniques and various things to make it more comfortable for the mom.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

I just talked to my wife, my MIL is a licenced midwife although she aggrees that she is going to be completely against it.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The whole thing is, alot of the pain is sold to us by our culture and for a lot (outside the states) is not the norm. It's not uncommon for a women to orgasm during birth, they talk about this (pretty sure it was this one) in the documentary.

If I'm going to draw blood, and people keep telling you it's no big deal, it's just a little prick OR people tell you it's hell and create anxiety over it; What do you think it's going to feel like when they draw blood?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,473 times
Quote:
No. An anesthesiologist is the one that gives the epidurals. The point about a home birth is that it's supposed to be done in a very relaxed and peaceful atmosphere without drugs.

It's really up to your wife as to what kind of birth she has. You will hear many people tell you this way is better or that way, but she has to decide what is best for her as that's all that matters.

FWIW, there are some midwives that practice and deliver in hospitals. My area has such a practice.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,810,075 times
Quote:
I just talked to my wife, my MIL is a licenced midwife although she aggrees that she is going to be completely against it.
You should never have anyone present at any birth who is negative about what's happening. It's a very bad idea.

About epidurals, no. Midwives cannot administer epidurals. You should watch the video because this issue is discussed in depth. Childbirth is frequently made more painful by pinning the mother down in a spread eagle position. This is not how the human body is designed to give birth. It's simply easier for the doctor to stick his/her head down there to see what's happening.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I would choose a midwife that believes in what she is doing, confident in doing it, and very experienced at it. I'm not sure the MIL is going to be able to make non emotional decisions here. I wish you more luck, cause I have a feeling if it's not 100% her way there will be wakes.

Damn, I'm a minute to slow :P

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I'm pretty sure she aint going to do the home birth then. Is there any way to keep from getting an unneccessary c section if we do have the kid in a hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy