Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
There are other options. The ring, the pill, the implant in your arm, there are a lot of options that don't make you get fat and my friend was on the shot and ended up pregnant, I trust the pill more.
The important thing is to understand the side effects, efficacy and risks associated with each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
There are other options. The ring, the pill, the implant in your arm, there are a lot of options that don't make you get fat and my friend was on the shot and ended up pregnant, I trust the pill more.
Fine, but we're not talking about you.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
For a lot of people it does.
Don't tell me I am passing misinformation when I watched my friend go from having a relatively skinny face to chipmunk cheeks and not fitting into any of her clothes.

Not to mention her mood swings and the fact that she got pregnant while she was on it.
That doesn't mean it is a bad option for everyone! All have side effects and none are 100% effective! Quit acting like you know it all. You've been on BC for like 2 years. You're having this discussion with people who've been for like 20 years.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Fine, but we're not talking about you.
Never said we were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That doesn't mean it is a bad option for everyone! All have side effects and none are 100% effective! Quit acting like you know it all. You've been on BC for like 2 years. You're having this discussion with people who've been for like 20 years.
You all can put in your PERSONAL opinions. "I think this, I think that" yet when I do I am taking about myself.

Whatever, I am ignoring all these stupid off topic comments towards me and keep giving my personal opinion because this is after all a forum where people do that, they give their own personal opinions based on beliefs and experiences.

The Depo shot is the most prevalent when it comes to weight gain, maybe not all but MOST people gain weight off of it, why else would it have come to be known as the BC that makes you gain weight if it wasn't pretty common in most women?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Never said we were.

You all can put in your PERSONAL opinions. "I think this, I think that" yet when I do I am taking about myself.

Whatever, I am ignoring all these stupid off topic comments towards me and keep giving my personal opinion because this is after all a forum where people do that, they give their own personal opinions based on beliefs and experiences.

The Depo shot is the most prevalent when it comes to weight gain, maybe not all but MOST people gain weight off of it, why else would it have come to be known as the BC that makes you gain weight if it wasn't pretty common in most women?
Because of the way you do it. You are treating this poster like they made a horrible decision putting the girl on depo because you know one person who had a bad experience. The thread isn't about which BC is better. It isn't about one person's second hand experience with one type of BC. You have a way of completely missing the point and turning the conversation to you and your limited experience. We could all share our individual experiences with different methods, but that's not the topic of this thread. Maybe, just maybe, the doctor went over several different options and this is the one that was decided on by the girl, the poster, and the doctor. Doctors are aware of the risks with each one, one of which is the teen forgetting to take a pill. If anything, your one friend who blew up like a chipmunk was the exception, not the rule. And maybe the priority in that case was not getting pregnant, not keeping a slender figure.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 01-21-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: typo, always a typo.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Never said we were.

Please do not listen to this person.

Depo provera is the same medicine found in progesterone only birth control pills, and like all BC has advantages and disadvantages. Depo can be very good for women who have had a good experience on the pill but just forget to take it. Like many sexually active teenage girls!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,730,327 times
Discussions about the pros and cons of various birth control go over in Health & Wellness. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
So when do you teach them?
When they are 16 and its possibly too late?
When they are 18 and no longer feel like they need to listen to you?
When they move out and no longer are in your control and you can't have as much of an impact?

Sex happens, teaching these kids that there is no age on condoms, that you don't have to have parental permission to get BC from Planned Parenthood, how to use the condom, how to use the birth control, how to be safe, because it IS going to happen, they ARE going to have sex, and its better to teach them safe sex, in addition to morals and values, that they should wait till they feel ready and its the right person, how they should have goals in life and it shouldn't be all sex sex sex.

Teach them HOW to use these things.
Teach them about safe sex.
But also teach them everything else, instill morals in them etc etc.

And just because you limit "dating" to a certain age doesn't mean a girl couldn't hook up with a guy somewhere outside of a dating type scenario.
And it could just take one time to get pregnant, maybe a girl isn't bedding down with all the guys who pay attention to her but just that one time with that special guy who she's been with for a year or more could knock her up, so maybe that time was right, why shouldn't be be prepared for it?
It is not a given that every teen is going to have sex. Not every teen is. Most people I know were not having sex in high school. Also, teens know about birth control. They know they don't have to have permission. They know where to get it. They know how to use it. One thing that a lot of teens don't know, in my experience, is that birth control is not 100%.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It is not a given that every teen is going to have sex. Not every teen is. Most people I know were not having sex in high school. Also, teens know about birth control. They know they don't have to have permission. They know where to get it. They know how to use it. One thing that a lot of teens don't know, in my experience, is that birth control is not 100%.
No a lot of them don't its sad how many of them are so uneducated.
My OWN BROTHER asked me how old you had to be to buy condoms and I thought he was a smart kid, sad part is, he asked this less than a year ago.

Seriously go on yahoo!answers into adolescent....you'll A) thank me for not being THAT stupid and B) realise just how uneducated kids are when it comes to sex.

They don't know where to get birth control, they think they have to go to their doctor for it, they don't know where to call, how much it is, they don't know their options. So many of them are scared that their parents will see the visits for BC on the HI bill, so many of them don't know you can get BC without a prescription for $26 or based on your income or the fact that childrens hospital will give out free birth control (at least in my area).

They ask questions like can you get pregnant from grinding on each other with clothes on.

I knew a kid who was CONVINCED he was going to get AIDS and other STD if he had sex before married, all because of his fundie mother.

There needs to be better unbiased education, MANDATORY education.
I don't think kids should be told to abstain and I don't think they should be encouraged but I do think they should be told that it is when THEY are ready, not when society deems it ok, not when someone else tells them they should but when they know its the right time and they should be thoroughly educated on everything.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The thing about sex education is that its function is not only to keep teens from having sex, or getting pregnant. The vast vast majority of adults are sexually active at some point in their life. It is our job to educate our children about the things they need to know to be happy, well adjusted adults.

How the body works with respect to fertility is something that people need to know as adults. Parents are responsible for teaching their kids the things they need to know to be adults. Sex is part of that.

It bothers me that some people (not necessarily just you-lots of people) see sex education as something that only benefits teens and solely functions as a means to keep them from getting pregnant. All adults benefit from being properly educated about sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy