Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,226 times

Advertisements

I guess a young woman (16-20) recovers faster from pregnancy than a woman in her 30s or early 40s.

but I wonder if there is any difference in the long run?

For example, if we compared a group of women in their 50s who were mums at a young age, to another group who were mums when they were in their 30s or early 40s, could be found any significative difference in their levels of body shape, strogen levels, sexual drive, stress levels, etc?

I mean in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
Middle age and teenagers would be a stressful thing. Have the children when you are young, and then by the time you are 50, you can relax.

Stress does weird things to the body.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I guess a young woman (16-20) recovers faster from pregnancy than a woman in her 30s or early 40s.

but I wonder if there is any difference in the long run?

For example, if we compared a group of women in their 50s who were mums at a young age, to another group who were mums when they were in their 30s or early 40s, could be found any significative difference in their levels of body shape, strogen levels, sexual drive, stress levels, etc?

I mean in general.
How would any of us know that?

I would guess that pregnancy takes a bigger toll on the body of an older woman. Does everything even out by the time both women are 50? Who knows? There are too many variables.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
The sooner young people marry and have children the better...The idea of playing the field or sewing their wild oats is an utter waste of time. Young people should take on responsibility as soon as possible. Nothing more tedious than having a child at 40 and by the time the kid is 10 you are a tired old 50 year old. If you have kids to late you will not be able to do the best job possible- Your energy level will be down.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The sooner young people marry and have children the better...The idea of playing the field or sewing their wild oats is an utter waste of time. Young people should take on responsibility as soon as possible. Nothing more tedious than having a child at 40 and by the time the kid is 10 you are a tired old 50 year old. If you have kids to late you will not be able to do the best job possible- Your energy level will be down.
Energy level is far from the most important thing in raising a child. How about maturity? financial stability? Taking time to find the right person instead of making a baby with the first thing to come along? Besides, the question was about pregnancy's physical effects on the body, not about parenting.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
I will just comment on my own personal experience. I had 3 pregnancies, delivering at 22, 29, and 34 years of age. I worked full-time throughout all pregnancies and returned soon after. After the second and third pregnancies, I worked full-time from my home office, so I was able to both work and do baby care 100% myself.

I felt the worst and recovered slowest from the first one, at age 22. Why? Because I had a terrible "typical American diet" and had just quit smoking prior to the pregnancy. I was not active during the pregnancy other than normal daily activities. I resumed smoking after my baby weaned as well

I felt the best and recovered fastest from the third one, at age 34. Why? Because I had been exercising regularly since right after #2 was born, I followed the Brewer pregnancy diet religiously - eating lots of good-quality proteins and veggies and very little junk and simple carbs. Quit smoking permanently at age 29 as well. I had an unmedicated homebrith and the easiest time nursing her and just generally felt wonderful. Recovery was a breeze.

My point in stating all of this is that age only goes so far. The way you take care of your body makes a difference too. A mom who has 3 children within 5 years, for example, would probably not have a chance to recover in between like I had. I think my lifestyle differences made far more difference than my age. I still feel better today, in my 40s, than I ever did in my teens and twenties because of being a smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy