Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Weird thing: I had more people hold the door open for me when pregnant than when trying to manevuer a huge stroller (that's when I need the help)
A lot of people aren't thrilled to have to maneuver *around* huge strollers wherever they go. Whatever happened to Snuglis? Or simply holding your kid's hand and walking?
I do agree that walking is a healthy habit for everyone--and many/most pregnant women.
However, I think it's great for pregnant women to get a little extra consideration when parking, and fine for parents to have "family" parking spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM

264 posts, read 1,185,345 times
I have to say, if I weren't in my 36th week of pregnancy and VERY uncomfortable (sometimes I can hardly walk! - this is my third child, and its taken its toll this time), I would say this legislation was silly. However, it really is difficult for me to walk much further than to the kitchen from my bedroom right now, so I'd definitely welcome a little "pass" for these last few weeks and the few weeks after the baby is born (I'm having a c-section).
Pregnancy certainly is not a disability, but it is taxing on the body and a little consideration for this would be a good thing.

Yesterday, I was in a restaurant waiting for some family members. There were three chairs in the waiting area. A man came in right before me and sat down in one of the chairs. I had my two daughters with me, and told them they were welcome to sit on the two free chairs. Mind you, I am HUGE right now. People look at me with pity in their eyes because I look like I should have had this baby a month ago. The man sat in that chair and carried on a conversation with me and didn't even think to offer me his chair. I probably wouldn't have taken it, but it sure would have been nice to be offered it.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM

895 posts, read 4,251,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
A lot of people aren't thrilled to have to maneuver *around* huge strollers wherever they go. Whatever happened to Snuglis? Or simply holding your kid's hand and walking?
I had a chuckle at this part of your comment. I've gone through five strollers with my girls and figured out that a side by side works best for me. Yes, strollers are huge but a necessary evil for some. Snuglis are well and good but my baby hated getting bounced around while I ran after my toddler. I'm the mom walking around the stores with a double stroller and a child holding on from both sides. And, yes, my girls actually hold onto either side of my stroller when we're out.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
Pregnancy certainly is not a disability, but it is taxing on the body and a little consideration for this would be a good thing.
Yes, a little consideration is what this basically boils down to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I had a chuckle at this part of your comment. I've gone through five strollers with my girls and figured out that a side by side works best for me. Yes, strollers are huge but a necessary evil for some. Snuglis are well and good but my baby hated getting bounced around while I ran after my toddler. I'm the mom walking around the stores with a double stroller and a child holding on from both sides. And, yes, my girls actually hold onto either side of my stroller when we're out.
Wow, that's a lot of estrogen in the household.
My younger son does not seem to have suffered any ill effects from bouncing in a snugli, but indeed, for some people, a stroller is the only answer.
However, I can't fault the smaller museums, craft shows, shopping/eating/drinking establishments that ban strollers. Those gigantic strollers laden with accessories (I'm not talking about umbrella strollers) create instant gridlock.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,221,450 times
For a time, I used a double stroller-I preferred the one that is like a regular stroller except longer (vs a side by side) and really, there are just some places I didn't even try to take it. It was kinda unweildly. But, my kids were safe in it so I did what I had to do. I did go down to a smaller umbrella stroller as soon as I could though.

I think snuglis are wonderful and envy those who used them successfully-I never did find one that did not cause me back pain. I did have a backpack I used sometimes and that was great.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,076,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I came across a bit of a different issue this morning, and I want to propose it for discussion in the Politics & Other Controversies Forum. I may end up moving it to the Parenting Forum if there is a lack of interest here.

California is considering legislation to issue a temporary handicapped parking permit to women who are entering their last trimester of pregnancy, good for the final three months of pregnancy and an additional two months after childbirth (five months total).

What I find interesting though is the support and objection to this proposal.

It is being proposed by a male Republican State Representative, who believes that women at that point in time should be provided some additional consideration due to the physical inconvenience associated with the last stages of pregnancy, and the need to provide a bit of time for post birth recovery.

The bill is mainly opposed by two organizations, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' California chapter, and the California chapter of the National Organization for Women. The first group opposes it due to the message of encouraging exercise while pregnant and the second group because they don't want pregnancy seen by the public as a disability.

When you look at how organizations and political parties are viewed by many folks, doesn't this seem a bit odd? You have a male Republican from a very strong republican district (Irvine, CA) proposing this support, and aren't Republicans generally viewed as a bit cold hearted? You have the two women's support groups rejecting this proposal because they don't want ladies in the later stages of pregnancy identified as potentially needing special considerations.

Politics - California bill would give free parking to moms-to-be - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/799215.html - broken link)

Thoughts?
Pregnant women and women with children under 3 years with special parking privledges has been around in indiana for years!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,144,650 times
Why is it that people with strollers seem to use them as a means to get thru traffic?....just push your kid out in front of em and they'll stop?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,763 times
Having recently given birth to twins and been relegated to modified then hospital then home bedrest for the last 2 months of the pregnancy AND having a wheelchair-bound husband, I am opposed to handicap placards for pregnant women.

Being pregnant is not a handicap - it is a temporary situation that most of us choose.

As it is, there are too few handicap spaces available thanks in part to the abuse of handicap placards (lending it to friends/relatives, people keeping deceased relatives' placards & continuing to use them, having friendly MDs issue placards for no real disabilities, etc...).

Can you imagine the race for a handicap spot by a bunch of pregnant women?

I just don't see how it's practical to issue handicap placards for every pregnant woman in her last trimester. And if it's doctor prescribed only, what will the parameters be and how will those parameters get twisted so that a doc can write one for the insistent pregnant patient?

Believe me, I understand how taxing being pregnant can be on the body but I just don't see it as a reason to receive a handicap placard.

Regarding the huge strollers - well, welcome to my world. I now own a huge double stroller thanks to the twins. Haven't used it yet (as I'm using the double snap-n-go "bus") but am dreading the first time I have to negotiate a too-small doorway or store aisle. I used a Moby Wrap for my baby girl while her brother was still in NICU but carrying the 2 at the same time in the wrap has proven to be challenging and they HATE being squished together.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,076,294 times
where i live women who are pregnant and go to high school now get to park in the Red Zone.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Having recently given birth to twins and been relegated to modified then hospital then home bedrest for the last 2 months of the pregnancy AND having a wheelchair-bound husband, I am opposed to handicap placards for pregnant women.

Being pregnant is not a handicap - it is a temporary situation that most of us choose.

As it is, there are too few handicap spaces available thanks in part to the abuse of handicap placards (lending it to friends/relatives, people keeping deceased relatives' placards & continuing to use them, having friendly MDs issue placards for no real disabilities, etc...).

Can you imagine the race for a handicap spot by a bunch of pregnant women?

I just don't see how it's practical to issue handicap placards for every pregnant woman in her last trimester. And if it's doctor prescribed only, what will the parameters be and how will those parameters get twisted so that a doc can write one for the insistent pregnant patient?

Believe me, I understand how taxing being pregnant can be on the body but I just don't see it as a reason to receive a handicap placard.

Regarding the huge strollers - well, welcome to my world. I now own a huge double stroller thanks to the twins. Haven't used it yet (as I'm using the double snap-n-go "bus") but am dreading the first time I have to negotiate a too-small doorway or store aisle. I used a Moby Wrap for my baby girl while her brother was still in NICU but carrying the 2 at the same time in the wrap has proven to be challenging and they HATE being squished together.
I couldn't walk long distances late into my twin pregnancy. I would have loved to have privileged parking. I was having pre-term labor signs and on dr's orders was not allowed to be on my feet for long periods. All pregnancies are different. My two singleton pregnancies, I walked every chance I could get for exercise so walking a mile through the parking lot wasn't an issue and I wouldn't have needed special parking, even up till the day I delivered.

I did also appreciate the special "kid parking" spaces, especially loading and unloading the twins. Now that my youngest are 6, I never use the "kid parking" and leave it for someone who could really use it.

Somewhere I have seen special parking for expectant mothers, somewhere local here but can't think right off now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy