Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,740,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
where i live women who are pregnant and go to high school now get to park in the Red Zone.
Women who are pregnant and go to high school? I didn't go to school with any women at my high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM

909 posts, read 3,365,831 times
At first I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't realize that the cards would enable them to park in designated Handicapped spaces. There are stores like BRU and malls like Westfield that already have spaces for pregnant women, and I think they are great. However, unless pregnancy has actually rendered a woman temporarily disabled, I just don't think it is a good use of a space that could go to someone truly incapable of walking 100 ft. IF a pregnant woman ends up being that disabled, her OB can sign an order for her to get a placard.

I speak as someone who had pretty bad edema and sciatica for the 2nd half of my pregnancy. AND I had to carry my very young toddler on my back for some of these shopping trips because she did NOT want to walk. No actual health issues, just a lot of discomfort. Well duh, I'm pregnant

Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM

10,189 posts, read 11,174,994 times
I say no - I'm pregs and I don't want special priveledges. It was mentioned in this thread..Being Pregnant is not a handicap. A little exercise will not hurt a pregnant woman!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,647 times
Being pregnant is not a handicap.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
As the mother of two with a third on the way I never would consider a placard an option. I've always been active and worked up to the birth. However this pregnancy has proven difficult which is what brought me to search the possibility. ..multiple blood transfusions later I find myself stopping every 20 feet when walking the 100 yds from my spot at the sports field and then being unable to breathe without difficulty for a while after. So, while I don't feel every pregnancy warrants a HP I do think it a legitimate need in SOME instances. And, only as a temporary measure until it is safe for the woman to resume normal activity.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM

897 posts, read 1,690,014 times
Too many special parking spaces! I can see spaces for truly handicapped people but Pregnant Women,give Me a break. Pretty soon people will be parked two miles from the store because of all the special spaces!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Having been pregnant four times, I'll give you my thoughts. NO, NO, NO! Being pregnant is not a handicap. It is a normal life event and IMO, part of the reason so many woman need so many epidurals and C-sections is because they are conditioned to believe that pregnancy and delivery are something to be worried and afraid of. Please understand that I am not saying that some people don't have prior injuries or conditions that would warrant handicapped placards during their pregnancy, but a healthy woman can walk, exercise, and work until delivery. This is ridiculous when you think about the fact that many of our grandmothers gave birth at home and never saw a doctor during their entire pregnancy.
Hear hear. Go girl. Br proud to be a mom.

As I understand it, The women who keep active, keep doing things, keep being social, they have the least problems in child birth. So put those special car parking spaces as far as possible from the doors to the shops so they have to walk the entire length of the car park

Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny 1029 View Post
As the mother of two with a third on the way I never would consider a placard an option. I've always been active and worked up to the birth. However this pregnancy has proven difficult which is what brought me to search the possibility. ..multiple blood transfusions later I find myself stopping every 20 feet when walking the 100 yds from my spot at the sports field and then being unable to breathe without difficulty for a while after. So, while I don't feel every pregnancy warrants a HP I do think it a legitimate need in SOME instances. And, only as a temporary measure until it is safe for the woman to resume normal activity.
I hear ya. I don't want a placard; blessed I don't need one, but SOOO appreciate closer spaces for expectant moms.

32 wks preggers w/ #3 & have a 4yo & 2yo. I also have a bilateral hernia w/ this pregnancy & close to bed rest varicose vein problems in my right thigh w/ this pregnancy. It straight out hurts to walk & lift. Most times I've been able to go kid free to the store, but ironically, the next 2 months, my dh's work schedule has changed thus that will req me to be packing up the kids to get the groceries unless I go to the store b/w the hours of 2am-5am.

I just appreciate not having to lug them too far unless necessary.

It's a shame some don't realize that there are medical conditions that are brought on by pregnancies that do cause physical difficulties and 99% of the time, the mom would much prefer being able to park in Timbuktoo than need a closer spot but the physical issues are stopping this.

Do I need it? No. Is it appreciated and helpful...yes. But in this society, gosh forbid we be gracious and helpful

Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Hear hear. Go girl. Br proud to be a mom.

As I understand it, The women who keep active, keep doing things, keep being social, they have the least problems in child birth. So put those special car parking spaces as far as possible from the doors to the shops so they have to walk the entire length of the car park
Have you ever had a bilateral hernia and severe varicose veins brought on by a pregnancy? Nahhh, me neither until #3. Never knew what painful walking and lifting was until I have to pick up & lift toddlers on a daily basis while pregnant. Ironically, I am active, I am OCD about a clean house, I'm social...hmm, so I think the checkoff list doesn't apply.

Nope, think the 150 spots for the middle age who get placards for a broken wrist are a waste.

You don't live in this country...you do not know the extent of abuse that people do w/ handicapped placards. I've know teenagers who use their grandparents placard to go to Target.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,278 times
This post reminds me of something that happend during my last pregnancy.

In December my doctor put me on bedrest for pre-eclampsia. My neighbors offered to take my kids to and from school, which was a great blessing. But one day my kids called me from school to say the neighbor who was supposed to give them a ride forgot so I had to go get them.

When I arrived they weren't waiting outside so I had to go in. The parking lot for parents is about 50 yards from the school, but there's a handicapped parking space right next to the school. I parked there b/c at the time my legs were swollen to twice their normal size and it was extremely painful for me to walk more than a few feet. Plus, I wasn't supposed to be on my feet at all.

When my kids saw that I had parked in a handicapped space they were outraged. They still bring it up from time to time when they see a car without a handicapped decal in a handicapped space. "Mom, remember when you parked in a handicapped space?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy