Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM

943 posts, read 3,337,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
No. I tell you what. Watching a woman go through childbirth makes me very happy I'm a guy.

First was preemie. Second was emergency C section. I watched them cut her open...and held her hand while they did it.

I know it's a horrible comparison, but having grown up dirt poor I've butchered many a beast and I've seen all sorts of viscera and entrails. The sight of blood doesn't phase me much. The sight of her lying there shivering (and barely conscious) in the recovery room (after she gave birth) gave me more pause than the delivery process. I don't think I'll ever forget how frail and fragile she looked...and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

BTW that shivering is called "shock."

8 things no one will tell you about giving birth (except us) (http://www.bounty.com/Articles/Prima/8%20things%20no%20one%20will%20tell%20you%20about% 20giving%20birth.aspx - broken link)

6 You may go into shock
As soon as your baby’s born, you may shake with shock. This is not like shivering when you’re cold. It’s a much stronger tremor that makes your teeth chatter and your legs shake, and you can’t control it. It can be overwhelming, but usually stops within minutes. It’s a common reaction to the hard work of labour, particularly when a baby is born very quickly.
Nikki says: ‘In the second stage of labour, when you start pushing, your body will twitch as your muscles tense. If you have an epidural, this can happen even if you can’t feel anything. It can also occur as a side effect of the drugs.’
Wow, didn't know about the shaking thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,756,047 times
Wow, I thought I really wanted to be a real woman but this childbirth thing is real scary. I snagged a woman's magazine in the junk mail and it had an article about botched problem pregnancies and that was real bad too! I gives me the thought, maybe I am better as a man... why should I want to be a woman?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM

412 posts, read 1,230,138 times
Default female point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
I notice it's almost only girls who ever say anything less than negative about it.

That doesn't mean all girls say less than negative about it.

Just that being a female is almost a necessary condition not to be completely revolted.
I'm a female with 3 kids via natural childbirth and I think it is absolutely disgusting to watch a child being born on TV or in real life. I cannot stomach watching it. It's a beautiful experience to have a baby, but bloody and painful at the same time (and I don't want to SEE it to be reminded of the pain!).

Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,648,813 times
Eww nasty. No way would I want to see that even on TV.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,037,962 times
Its disgusting, and something I'd never watch on TV, nor do I ever want to see it in real life. Just hearing about it makes me wonder why others of my gender would even consider it, much less do it.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
I've read that many MDs steer away from OB-GYN because of the malpractice.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,564,152 times
I'm not sure why this thread is in the Relationships forum, either. Now, if I can just figure out where to put it...?

For lack of a better place at the moment, it is now in Other Topics.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,509,515 times
I cut the cord, when my oldest grandson was born. It was an honor.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,411,657 times
Not a disgusting experience at all. I witnessed 3 births as the "coach." Chance in a lifetime to see the faces of my kids when they first emerged and entered the world. Priceless!

Certainly gave me an appreciation not only for the process itself, but for my wife, who endured an incredible amount of pain with the first labor.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,801,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm not sure why this thread is in the Relationships forum, either. Now, if I can just figure out where to put it...?
They have kids in Alaska. Maybe it should go in the Alaska forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy