Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
Do pregnant women who excise regularly get less chance of c-sections? Is that related?
Not really, it really comes down to how your body is put together. Many of these people that have had C-Sections probably would have died in childbirth or their children would have died before C-Sections were available. I know for me after 36 hour of labor and not progressing past a 6 I didn't care HOW they got him out, just that they did. For our twins I was going to have a V-BAC but at 38 weeks I hadn't started dilating and I was DONE being pregnant so I opted for a C-Section--good thing too as DD had the cord wrapped around her neck 2 times-that could have been a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Quote:
Do pregnant women who excise regularly get less chance of c-sections? Is that related?
I have no idea. All I know is my first could not have survived a regular birth, so the doctor said. Because I had one c-section, my 2nd also had to be a c-section per my doctor.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
No, I mean if you work, how much vacation will you plan to take for postpartum recovery.
I think she knows what you meant. We're just saying it isn't a "vacation". If you are planning to take actual "vacation time" or "paid time off" be aware of the mistake I made. I took "annual leave" (same as PTO or vacation) concurrently with my Family Medical Leave, so that I would get paid during part of that time. When my next evaluation and pay raise came around, it was delayed by all the time I was on leave, even though I was taking annual leave. In other words, if I had gone back to work for one day, thus being back from "leave", then had taken annual leave (vacation, PTO), I would have gotten credit for those days or weeks that I was on vacation. Because I took that paid time during FMLA, I was not given credit for those weeks. Does that make sense? It is hard to explain. You should get 6 weeks of disability pay (8 if you have a c-section), and 12 weeks of FMLA at the same time. Meaning you get 6 weeks where you get a disability check, then 6 more weeks off but with no pay. I haven't done this in a few years, so check with your employer.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,850,099 times
Postpartum recovery?

18 years!!! Yup

Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,764,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Wow. Lotsa c-sections here.
Exactly how common are they?
I don't think I know anyone who's had one.
The rates are going up - I had one, and so have many of my friends. In my case it was absolutely necessary and probably saved my life, but the whole issue of c-sections and hospital policies (often influenced by liability issues in a society where people like to sue whenever anything goes wrong) is fairly controversial. Check out Jennifer Block's book "Pushed" to read about some of the issues. the rates of c-sections also vary by hospital and to some extent by region, also.

To the OP, like others have said, it's tough to know how much time you'll need. I initially thought that I was recovering quickly from my c-section, but then I think pushed myself too much and ended up with some unexpected complications.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,949,392 times
At least 5 years, unless you plan to have your baby raised by daycare.

Yes, so harsh... after all, early education is KEY.

Daycare/preschool beginning at the age of 4-6 weeks (as seems the consensus with so many career moms these days) really gives a child a leg up. If they can't learn to drool properly by the age of 7 weeks, they'll never learn to socialize properly.

As you can tell, that "early education" carp just gets on my nerves!

So many women hand their 1 month old babies over to a person/institution they have spent less than 30 minutes with/in, leave them there for 9-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 5+ years and then yank them out and throw them in a different school, with different before/after care and then WONDER why their children are suddenly having issues...

if you take your child away from it's PRIMARY CAREGIVER after 5 years, they are going to have problems. If you constantly change your child's daycare for 5 years, they will have problems bonding for life.

These things are the reasons so many mental disorders are being common... so many more kids are ADD or ADHD or depressed, etc now than they were 20/30/40+ years ago. Doctors do take these things into consideration, which is why most forms ask for a child's PRIMARY CAREGIVER vs parent's name. Most parents just put themselves down though, never realizing that their child actually spends more AWAKE hours (generally more than twice) with someone ELSE.

As to the OPs question... physically, it can take 18 months for your body to "bounce back". Some folks go back to work after a couple of days some never do.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,806 times
I left my job six weeks before my baby was due (two years ago now). I was lucky enough to have the choice of staying home, BUT I chose to go back 4 hours a week at 6 weeks just to get out of the house! I couldn't have gone back any earlier, even for 4 hours, due to lack of sleep and establishing breastfeeding. Don't overlook that - it can be quite a long and physically draining process. It took me 3 months to get it sorted out. I couldn't be away from home for more than 4 hours because of b/f, I suffered bouts of mastitis due to missed feeds and in the end I couldn't make it work and quit working all together.

But, if I had absolutely HAD to go back full-time 6 weeks would have been the earliest, physically. Six months is a better amount of time for your own physical and mental health and where I'm from 1 year is considered the usual minimum amount of leave from work after birth.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
At least 5 years, unless you plan to have your baby raised by daycare.

Yes, so harsh... after all, early education is KEY.

Daycare/preschool beginning at the age of 4-6 weeks (as seems the consensus with so many career moms these days) really gives a child a leg up. If they can't learn to drool properly by the age of 7 weeks, they'll never learn to socialize properly.

As you can tell, that "early education" carp just gets on my nerves!

So many women hand their 1 month old babies over to a person/institution they have spent less than 30 minutes with/in, leave them there for 9-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 5+ years and then yank them out and throw them in a different school, with different before/after care and then WONDER why their children are suddenly having issues...

if you take your child away from it's PRIMARY CAREGIVER after 5 years, they are going to have problems. If you constantly change your child's daycare for 5 years, they will have problems bonding for life.

These things are the reasons so many mental disorders are being common... so many more kids are ADD or ADHD or depressed, etc now than they were 20/30/40+ years ago. Doctors do take these things into consideration, which is why most forms ask for a child's PRIMARY CAREGIVER vs parent's name. Most parents just put themselves down though, never realizing that their child actually spends more AWAKE hours (generally more than twice) with someone ELSE.

As to the OPs question... physically, it can take 18 months for your body to "bounce back". Some folks go back to work after a couple of days some never do.
I'm sure you have some links to some actual stats to back up your claims...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:29 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,072,658 times
#1- Seemed to take forever to recover. She was a regular vaginal birth with NO complications. My mental state was just totally weird though. I had PPD and was regularly suicidal.
#2- Despite having complications and a very near C-section, I recovered fairly well. I was up and around pretty regular in a week. No PPD this time and that seemed to make a HUGE difference.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,622,755 times
I took maternity leave from work for my first three children, all of which was mandatory from the employers side. My fourth I was self employed so I could do whatever worked for me.

With my first, I was 22 and I could have been back in the work place after about 3 weeks. My labor was about 12 hours long and I let them give me demerol, which slowed me down considerably, I realized later. My employer's insurance wouldn't allow new moms back to work before 6 weeks, or 8 if they had a C-section. I ended up off 7 weeks as I didn't find child care before then. I was paid 70% of my salary without being taxed, so net about the same.

With my second I was 26 and could have been ready after only a week. Same employer and I took 6 weeks and was paid 100% of my salary during my time off.

With my third I was 38 and I was ready at about 2 weeks later to return. At that point I was working in a child care center and I could return to work at 4 weeks post birth, but babies couldn't attend until 6 weeks. I took 6 weeks off, no pay at all.

I had my fourth at 43 and was providing child care from my home, so no mandatory maternity leave. I was back working full time after one week, although I did have assistance available if needed from my oldest daughter.

I had zero physical complications with the last three, no more than 4 hours of labor from start to finish and no drugs at all. So, my recovery was very easy and quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy