Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But the woman who just cut off her baby's head and was found eating it was in the so-called "perfect" age range. The woman who drowned her 5 small kids was too.

I would suspect most child abuse and neglect is actually from younger mothers than from older mothers (or younger fathers than older fathers). I knew of an 80 year old woman who was raising her teenaged grandchildren but not very successfully because their younger mother (partying and drug using) had already screwed them up and then abandoned them to run off with some guy to California.
Red herrings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
It's not my business to tell other people what to do with their bodies.
I saw on tv last week this show called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant"
A lady was what, late 50s, her husband was in his early 30s or maybe early 40s..he wanted a kid so she had treatments...over and over...(she was post menopausal).

She did not become pregnant. 2 years later (I guess she was 57 at the time) they tried again (had to go to Russia--they were British)...3 eggs were implanted..she was pregnant...but had a miscarriage soon after...

Didn't know why, but months went on and she was depressed, felt bloated. Thought she was ill...the gyno thought she had ovarian cancer...the woman peeked at her chart, found the diagnosis and went and called her husband to come down to the hospital (the doctor ordered a scan/sonogram). Wound up she had one egg implanted that she did not miscarry and was pregnant..

The woman went on to have a daughter...now I think she was 57 or 58...

Who am I to judge?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times
No, I think having children over 45 is way too old to have children. After 45, you are not as physically fit and will be more tired, waking up in the middle of the night and running after the baby, etc. When your child has a family of their own, you child will have to take care of you and their own children. And plus, by the time your child graduates high school, you'll in your 60s, which is when you are supposed to be a grandparent. Speaking of being a grandparent, you'll most likely become a grandparent in your late 60s and 70s, since life expectancy is about 80 years or so, you will only have about 10 years to spend time with your grandchildren, and most likely, you will be very tired out and will not be able to spend time with your grandkids.

Just saying...

Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'd say if either parent is 45-50 or older, it's getting to the selfish point. Sure anything can happen to younger parents to leave them dead or seriously injured/ill, but that rate goes up far too much once you hit the 40s. I also don't buy the younger wife has a child despite the father being 45 years old- still selfish to me.
Take that up with God/Mother Nature.

Us guys tend to be fertile till some extremely high age whereas menopause was probably an evolutionary adaptation so an older woman would not conceive a child near/at the end of her natural life allowing her to rear it till the kid was autonomous.

When one thinks about it: life expectancy is calculated from birth so if a person made it to age 5---------their actual age of death tended to be much higher.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
No, I think having children over 45 is way too old to have children. After 45, you are not as physically fit and will be more tired, waking up in the middle of the night and running after the baby, etc. When your child has a family of their own, you child will have to take care of you and their own children. And plus, by the time your child graduates high school, you'll in your 60s, which is when you are supposed to be a grandparent. Speaking of being a grandparent, you'll most likely become a grandparent in your late 60s and 70s, since life expectancy is about 80 years or so, you will only have about 10 years to spend time with your grandchildren, and most likely, you will be very tired out and will not be able to spend time with your grandkids.

Just saying...
I know plenty of people in their mid 40s and up who are incredibly fit. I've met plenty of 20 somethings with and without kids who look like death warmed up. I've never been incredibly fit, and figure it's never too late to start. Energy levels and age do not always correlate.

Life expectancy may be into the 80s - a friend of mine lost both her parents in a car crash when she was 19..they also never saw their grandkids, and were in their 40s at the time.
We never know how much time we have, I don't think that reasoning should be used to justify having or not having children. It's a very personal choice.
Thinking a bit further, I did not have the energy for children until now. By that I mean mental as well as physical energy. I got a lot of stuff (good and bad) outta my system in my 20s and 30s...there was no space for a kid, not a happy one anyhoo. Now there is. I just happen to be in my mid 40s but that's how life works sometimes.
Wouldnt it be a yawn if we all felt the same?

PS: No way do I expect my kid to have to take care of me, I'd want them to have their own rich and interesting life. That's a horrible thing to expect of one's children, IMHO.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
That is WAY too old to begin having kids! Just today, I saw some parents of kids who appeared to be between 6-8 and the parents looked like their grandparents. I was done having children before age 30; I made that choice on purpose. I didn't want to be 50 attending a high school graduation or parenting tweens or teens, let alone having a newborn, toddler or elementary school-age child. Later for that!

People may feel younger when they are older now, but our biology has not changed. We will die by 80, for the most part. That means people having children in their 50s may die when their children just reach adulthood and certainly before they ever see any grandkids.

Having had my children in my mid-late 20s, my husband and I look dramatically younger than the parents dropping off their kids at my children's school. They must be at least 15 years older than us, on average. If you are approaching menopause or need medical interventions to get pregnant (because you're just too old to get knocked up naturally), then you need to stop! Men, too. If you're beyond your early 40s, hang it up, for sure.

BTW, I will be 47 when my youngest is done with high school.
I'm in my mid 40's with early elementary aged kids. And I love being a mom at this age. In fact, I can't imagine anything that would be rewarding than what I'm doing right now.

Quite honestly, I wasn't ready to be a mom in my 20's - I was focused on work, friends, having fun, saving money, spending long and lazy weekends with my (then) boyfriend (now husband). I do not regret one, eensy, teensy bit that I waited until I was more mature to have children.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Absolutely not! Please.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
But people,the key here is that everyone is different! I had my third child at 47.I was up walking around 45 minutes later.Three pregnancies all over the age of 40 didn't take that big of a toll.Some people take excellent care of themselves,age differently,handle things differently.At 53, I went out and ran 5 miles this morning.I know I could handle a pregnancy just fine if I wanted to.Do I want to? No,because I've already done it and have three kids.Would I want to if I didn't have them?,maybe.

Maybe. But I'm pretty sure simultaneous menopause and terrible twos would result in blood shed.

Of course, I can safely say middle school combined with menopause isn't a treat, either.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post

They say, if a woman became a mother later in life, she will live longer (her system will know that she has to rear a person).
Nah, it just feels like it.

(says she who had youngest just shy of 40)

Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 PM

41 posts, read 98,592 times
No way, I'm a young man and my 2 small kids wear me out! Raising kids is a young man/womans game. Plus, who's to say you will live to see your 80th birthday? I don't mean to sound morbid, but it would be devestating for a young kid or adult to lose a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy