Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:02 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- The average American woman can live long enough to celebrate her 80th birthday, so if a woman is able to become pregnant using in vitro fertilization with a donor egg at 56, she could still watch her child grow into an adult. But just because it's possible, does that mean she should?

Should you get pregnant if you're 50 or older? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,992,571 times
that's a tough one.I had my last child[naturally] at 47.Would I want to have one at 50, or 53, which I am now? I'm not sure! I feel the same physically as I did 6 years ago,which is great.I think that if I did not already have kids and I really wanted one and was in a great position in my life,I might just go for it.It is hard to put a time limit on it as we are all so different physically,emotionally etc.What might work out well for one person may not for someone else.I also have a husband 12 years younger than myself which is a benefit as well.lots of factors to consider.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,827,756 times
Oh hell no.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
I will never understand why anyone would want to have a baby at that age. Who was the morning news anchor who had twins in her 50's a few years ago? I think she looked much younger and had a younger husband. She also had grown kids. If you've already been there, done that, raised your family, and finally have time to yourself, I just can't see having another baby at that age. How would you even find other moms/friends to relate to?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,461,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I will never understand why anyone would want to have a baby at that age. Who was the morning news anchor who had twins in her 50's a few years ago? I think she looked much younger and had a younger husband. She also had grown kids. If you've already been there, done that, raised your family, and finally have time to yourself, I just can't see having another baby at that age. How would you even find other moms/friends to relate to?
I guess if you are divorced and then find a new flame who wants to have his own children, or you want to have children of his...

Or if you lose your child and decide that you still can have a kid (Elizabeth Edwards had 2 children around her 50s, after her almost grown up son died).

Or if you sincerely thought that you never wanted children in your life, and everything was okay, until you got that desire in your late 40s...

Or career women who postponed and waited for the right man, but finally decided to go on with a kid because they were wealthy enough without a man...

Or if you are carrying a child for a friend of yours who is gay (Clay Aiken with his 50-year old friend who is pregnant again with his child).

Lots of situations that should be judged on a case-by-case basis, I would never draw one blanket statement of "should" or "shouldn't".

Personally, I would be wary of any fertility "aids" in the shape of drugs because I think more and more info surfaces of their adverse effect on the woman's body... Elizabeth Edwards having cancer to start with...

As for relating to other parents - first, I am 45 and not far away from being 50, and have no problem relating to other parents of my kids.... who are getting older as a phenomenon, too.

Secondly, I'm afraid you are over giving shyt at that age to any relation to any parents - if it works, good, if it doesn't, oh well.

And though you haven't mention it, but I'll throw it in here, too - when I hear "But when your kids are 20, you will be in your 60s!" - I can't help but remind them that the same old favorite pattern of theirs of "having children in their 20s" is coming from the "old times" when people had life expectancy of 46 years (beginning of the 20s century). A woman of 46 years old was an old woman, - and she died leaving 20 yo and teenagers behind, - if she even made through the labor.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,904,252 times
At some point, you will have to suck it up and admit that you missed the boat on having children. I think that is around 45-50.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
At some point, you will have to suck it up and admit that you missed the boat on having children. I think that is around 45-50.
Although I haven't experienced it, I would think that should kick in around 40-45, if not sooner. Everybody is different, I guess.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
I'd say if either parent is 45-50 or older, it's getting to the selfish point. Sure anything can happen to younger parents to leave them dead or seriously injured/ill, but that rate goes up far too much once you hit the 40s. I also don't buy the younger wife has a child despite the father being 45 years old- still selfish to me.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,461,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Although I haven't experienced it, I would think that should kick in around 40-45, if not sooner. Everybody is different, I guess.
LOL, the key phrase is "although I haven't experienced this." I have no idea of teenager parenting, because I haven't experienced this, so I have no opinion on those topics yet.

It's mostly younger people, < 30, who have strong opinions on just when a woman should stop bearing children. I know, at some point people over 30 seemed very, very elderly to me, too.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
LOL, the key phrase is "although I haven't experienced this." I have no idea of teenager parenting, because I haven't experienced this, so I have no opinion on those topics yet.

It's mostly younger people, < 30, who have strong opinions on just when a woman should stop bearing children. I know, at some point people over 30 seemed very, very elderly to me, too.
"seeming" old has nothing to do with it. Being old does. Not that 50 is "old" but the chances of being alive to see your child into adulthood go down as you get older. There should be more to the decision that "wanting" a child. I've never been a teen parent either, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it. It is called common sense. (BTW, I'm over 35)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy