Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:03 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times

Advertisements

I like both Renee and Grace and any combo of the two for a girl. Approachable, but not overused.

I can't comment on the boy names, they are all to ambisexual for me and I wouldn't want to lay that on a son of mine. If you go that route consider making the middle name something classically masculine so he has a fall back position if he decided to rebel later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 PM

853 posts, read 4,045,351 times
My middle name is Renee, and I always wished it was my first name (as you can tell by my screen name!).

My hunch is that Uma Renee will be in the same situation that I am in.,.....sorry.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,512,786 times
isn't there a nice dutch name she can find? without using the name of the city??
please be kind to your child! and also remember...you have to think like a boss or a college recruiter. would you hire someone with any of those names?

Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,173,022 times
Sorry I do not care for the name Rene for a boy. Of course this is your child and what you choose is your decision. My father n law was named Loren and he hates it. My friend's husband is named Dana. He hates it. He said there were times he would show up for job interviews and see the shock of the person when they realized he was a man and not a woman. The only advantages to these names are for the women they marry. My friend says its great calling up the cable company or whomever and not having prove anything. Makes life easier when paying bills.

It sounds like you are trying to incorporate some heritage into your child's name so I am not sure on what I can help you with on that. I can say that my sister n law named her daughter Haleigh. Pronounced Hay-Lee. She wanted to do some fancy spelling. What I find kind of funny though is people will call her daughter Holly. If you look at how she spelled Haleigh, I can see how someone would think it pronounced Holly. I personally do not like it when people mess with spellings.

I do like unique names. I tend to favor names that sound like last names. I like Remy too which is short for Remington. My husband has a friend named Remy. Good luck and have fun with it. Just give it a lot of consideration. My cousin is Irish and named his son Pollack. Poor kid.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:49 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,848,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post

I'm starting to think that parents try too hard to make themselves seem cool by giving their kids an odd name instead of thinking about your son walking into a board room saying "Hello. My name is Amsterdam". The weirdest parents and the ones who are absolute white trash have kids with the weirdest names or take a normal name and absolutely butcher it with a weird spelling. My neighbor just named their daughter Jaeydin. As if Jayden isn't odd enough.
I worked on an HR project when I was interning back in the day and we would literally have the resumes out and LAUGH at some names.

If you where hiring and a job application with the name Amsterdam Lloyd Whatever came across your desk what would you think?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times
Lately, when expectant parents say "we want a unique name" I hold my breath and wait for the fallout. I would like to announce that it is BEYOND TRENDY to want to give your child a "unique" name..which means it isn't "unique" at all. Go for a nice, normal, but less often used name. Don't play with STUPID spellings, it makes you look ignorant and uneducated as if you don't know how to spell. But hey, if THAT'S what you are going for....

Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,367,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Lately, when expectant parents say "we want a unique name" I hold my breath and wait for the fallout. I would like to announce that it is BEYOND TRENDY to want to give your child a "unique" name..which means it isn't "unique" at all. Go for a nice, normal, but less often used name. Don't play with STUPID spellings, it makes you look ignorant and uneducated as if you don't know how to spell. But hey, if THAT'S what you are going for....
Bingo! We have a winner! A most excellent post.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,939,334 times
Oh, and I have one very important addendum.

When you do narrow the list down to your top three, don't tell anyone. Because before your child is born, all names are open to criticism. After the birth, the names are sacrosanct.

True story:

We had narrowed down the names for our first child to just a few. I refused to tell anyone, even my own father. He tried to cajole me into telling him. "What are you going to do?" he said, "Name her 'Rowena'?"

I refused to say.

When she was born, I brought him in to meet his new granddaughter, Rowan.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
I married a Dutch lady from Amsterdam so go figure! She likes Amsterdam and she thinks it's better than names after a city such as Houston, Orlando, and Dallas, etc. I warned kids will tease based on the ultra liberal environment in Amsterdam. LOL!
The nickname will have NOTHING to do with liberal environment of Amsterdam.

Grade school children don't know about Amsterdam in that way.

Kids will call your child Hamster or Hamsterdam.

Your child's nickname will be a rodent!

Might as well name your child RAT.

Quote:
One more thing I would like to add is that my wife is very fond of Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy and as an actress in Kill Bill movies.
It's rather frightening that your wife would want her child to emulate such a bizarre movie character.

Quote:
Any suggestions for first name to go with Renee as a girl's middle name?
Grace Renee

Lauren Renee

Marcelle Renee

Zoe Renee

Quote:
I thought about Renee Michelle and Renee Leigh.
Both are very nice and much better than the original suggestions you proposed in your first post.

Quote:
What about Laurent Lloyd? Does it sound boring? To me, it sounds awful because you know English and French dislike each other. It doesn't go together.
Put Lloyd first.

Quote:
Although I like Rene Laurent, I am somewhat concerned that he might be teased because French names aren't widely known in America plus Rene Laurent could be twisted by children in school and they might end up calling him the girl name "Lauree".
Your son will be teased with either name. Both names will be treated as girl names in the United States.

I'm liking Lloyd Hayden. Don't put Hayden first. Kids will call him Hay or Cow or something associate with hay.

Lloyd is a good solid name. Not my favorite for a boy. But there's nothing terrible anyone can say about Lloyd.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
btw, there are some super cool Dutch names that would be unique in the United States. Your wife should consider going that route instead of naming your child after a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy