Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,003,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frocio View Post
Neither is correct. It's "PRESS' kit". It's my last name. I ought to know.
Well if you read the read, you'd know it's my last name too, and I pronounce it press-Scott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 35,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I grew up near a town called Swampscott in Massachusetts. A lot of the locals pronounced it "Swamp-skit". Perhaps its just the kind of lingo that is picked up on in the same way the city in Ohio is pronounced "Cleve-lind" instead of "Cleve-land"
Swampscott is thirty miles north of where I write this.

The correct pronunciation is "SWAMP' SCOTT" equal emphasis BOTH SYLLABLES. This "SWAMP' skit" bunk is hooey.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Well if you read the read, you'd know it's my last name too, and I pronounce it press-Scott.
And you ADMIT to it? Pity.

En route to Arizona, something went awry then. You're mistaken. I have relatives in England (from whence the name hails) and if they heard you pronounce "Prescott" as you do, they'd roar with laughter.

I'd be willing to make book on the fact that your Great Grandfather didn't pronounce Prescott as you do.

My dentist is named Dr. "Truscott" and I've always called him "Dr. "TRUS' kit". Last time I was there and I greeted him, he said you're one of two of my patients who pronounce my name correctly. I said "why don't you correct them?" He said, "I just got tired of it, but thank you and please always continue to say it as you do". I grew up saying it properly as you do now.

I'm sure a generation or so ago, your surname was pronounced properly: "PRES' kit". Ask a relative from an earlier generation. For my area of expertise is linguistics and you're mispronouncing your last name my friend.

If you want to be wrong, that's up to you. God knows no one will be the wiser. But you are and therein lies the shame of it.

Last edited by Frocio; 09-22-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Being an "old timer" has nothing to do with it. I'm a transplants who pronounces it "Press-kit" and I have a coworker who is a native Arizonan who refuses to pronounce it any other way but "Press-cot."
You're correct, the "native" is incorrect... no matter how long these Prescotts have been in Arizona.
It's like saying "supposably" for "supposedly". It's "just wrong".

Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,930,975 times
Quote:

En route to Arizona, something went awry then. You're mistaken. I have relatives in England (from whence the name hails) and if they heard you pronounce "Prescott" as you do, they'd roar with laughter.
Well, the Brits do not know how to speak American. E.g., they say, "Please pass me the worse'-ter-sher sauce instead of the war-chest'-er-shire sauce.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:09 PM

10,763 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Quote:
Swampscott is thirty miles north of where I write this.

The correct pronunciation is "SWAMP' SCOTT" equal emphasis BOTH SYLLABLES. This "SWAMP' skit" bunk is hooey.
I never said they were saying it correctly, but 30 miles of north of you many North Shore locals are pronouncing it like that.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 41,633 times
Gee, what about Oregon vs. Oregun? If you say Oregon, you are instantly identified as an outsider, untraveled and rather clueless (in an amusing way). Their visitor's bureau 'trains' tourists how to say it with signs like "Welcome to Orygun".

Both Oregun and Preskitt are easier to say and human nature is to seek efficiency. Or, it can be started as easily as someone who is not a phonetic reader pronouncing something differently, and it being adopted.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 AM

10,763 posts, read 23,877,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonia View Post
Gee, what about Oregon vs. Oregun? If you say Oregon, you are instantly identified as an outsider, untraveled and rather clueless (in an amusing way). Their visitor's bureau 'trains' tourists how to say it with signs like "Welcome to Orygun".

Both Oregun and Preskitt are easier to say and human nature is to seek efficiency. Or, it can be started as easily as someone who is not a phonetic reader pronouncing something differently, and it being adopted.
Call it Ore-gone and they'll tell you Oregon didn't go anywhere.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,081,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonia View Post
Both Oregun and Preskitt are easier to say and human nature is to seek efficiency.

best reason yet....there you have it....this should've been in post #2!!....

Old 09-30-2014, 10:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Well, the Brits do not know how to speak American. E.g., they say, "Please pass me the worse'-ter-sher sauce instead of the war-chest'-er-shire sauce.
Uhm...it's "wus tuh sher" sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott