Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,930,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Tucson (I once saw a Mississippi news anchor say Tuck-sun on the air...damn teleprompters , as opposed to Two-sawn.
Tempe (Tem-pee...not Tem-pa)
I pronounce it Tuck-son just for fun ...and don't forget that it's Tem-PEE', not TEM'-pee, which would be the obvious pronunciation. Of course, that throws a monkey-wrench in the theory that Preskitt is pronounced that way, because it is easier to say. Tem-PEE' takes way more effort to say than TEM'
-pee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 AM

571 posts, read 1,202,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
When I moved to Phoenix I was told by numerous native Arizonans that it was pronounced as "kit" at the end. If I did slip up and say it with "cot" I was always corrected. Now it's second nature to call it "Preskit". It would be interesting to know why though.
^^ same for me^^

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie2015 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I asked some of my friends and they also said that natives pronounce Preskit. I caught myself saying Prescut, maybe because I've lived here for only four years now
Motormaker, thank you for a great video!
I'm a native and have always pronounced it Prescut. Nobody I know...and we are all natives...pronounce it Preskit.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,930,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm a native and have always pronounced it Prescut. Nobody I know...and we are all natives...pronounce it Preskit.
I don't think there's much difference between saying Prescut and Preskit. It's saying Pres-COTT' that gets people's panties in a bunch. I think the emphasis on the first syllable is the most important. I would guess that saying PRESS'-cot would cause less angst than saying Pres-CUT' or Pres-KIT'.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:49 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,761 times
I hear a lot of AZ natives say PRESS scot, with the emphasis on the first syllable and the second syllable spoken rapidly, almost dropped. The difference is fairly subtle, and raises little comment.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM

606 posts, read 1,608,359 times
I have heard people pronounce the name of the town like that before ("Pres-kit"), but had always dismissed them as illiterate rednecks who hit their heads on the tailgate while being born in the back of a F-150.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,171,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I have heard people pronounce the name of the town like that before ("Pres-kit"), but had always dismissed them as illiterate rednecks who hit their heads on the tailgate while being born in the back of a F-150.
That's a rather dramatic conclusion to come to based upon the pronunciation of one local place name.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I think Presskit was more common several decades ago when the town was a little more rural and (dare I say it) backward. In those days, the demographic distinction might have been a little stronger than it is now.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,002,390 times
Well, now, I have to weigh in on this, as the town and the region are named after my own relatives (guess what the "P" in johnp292 stands for?)!

Ever since I first visited Arizona in the 80's I've heard folks here mispronounce my last name. And now that I live here (but not in Prescott), I can bring clarity to the issue.

It is pronounced "Press-cott"

Funny thing though, since I moved here 3 months ago, no one has yet pronounced my last name as "presskit". Maybe that's because I'm down by Phoenix?

And no, I have never been a British Member of Parlaiment...that's a different JohnP...

(Actually I don't care....say it any way you want..... )

Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM

890 posts, read 2,283,600 times
I was told by the Starbucks barista in Safeway that it is pronounced "Pres-kit" or "Pres-cut" and that anytime she hears "Pres-scott" it's surely a tourist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott