Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,577 times

Advertisements

Ex New Yorker, where do you mean when you say "outside Prescott city limits"? That sounds like somewhere we might want to check out. We looked at a few homes in Prescott and one in Chino Valley when we visited in July, and we actually liked Chino Valley a lot. We also want nothing to do with homes that have HOA's.

Also, do you (or anyone else) happen to know how reliable the flights are out of Prescott Airport to LAX, and back again? Our sons live in Southern California, so if we could fly out of that airport instead of Phoenix, that would be great.

Thanks much for all the information you've provided everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 08:23 PM

113 posts, read 310,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
Bianco111 Try Chino Valley off of Center street and Mckenzie Rose. West of Chino. Homes being built as of 9-8. Range up to 400k, 2000 sq.ft. 2 acre lots. Mostly grass land topography
I looked at a community online by Mandalay Homes called Bright Star. The prices of the homes were very low compared to other parts of the Prescott area I've looked at. I think the lots are less than an acre, though. What would be the drawbacks to living there? I saw a youtube video of Chino Valley, and it showed cows and horses. What comes to mind is odor and flying insects. Would that be an issue in Bright Star or in other parts of Chino Valley? How about grocery stores? Other stores? I will be there in a couple of weeks, but anything I can learn in advance will help me make a decision. Someone told me summers are cooler in Chino Valley than in Prescott Valley because it is at a higher elevation. Is this true?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Ex New Yorker, where do you mean when you say "outside Prescott city limits"? That sounds like somewhere we might want to check out. We looked at a few homes in Prescott and one in Chino Valley when we visited in July, and we actually liked Chino Valley a lot. We also want nothing to do with homes that have HOA's.

Also, do you (or anyone else) happen to know how reliable the flights are out of Prescott Airport to LAX, and back again? Our sons live in Southern California, so if we could fly out of that airport instead of Phoenix, that would be great.

Thanks much for all the information you've provided everyone.
You can check out homes that are between Prescott and Chino Valley along Williamson Valley Road from the Pioneer Parkway north. Also areas west of Williamson Valley Road, north of Iron Springs Road. I'm not sure exactly where the cut off point is or which particular neighborhoods are within city limits. Some of these homes have city water and private septic systems. I believe that all of the homes within Prescott city limits have both city water and sewer? Some of the homes outside city limits have private or community wells along with propane for heat and cooking. Homes outside city limits are patrolled by the Yavapai County sheriff's office. Some are in the Prescott Fire District. Others Chino Valley.

Chino's not too bad, however it can be pretty dusty. Depending on where you are there are places where you can see a lot of your neighbor's junk lying around as it is wide open and flat. It's not nearly as nice as Prescott and it's surrounding area. I imagine that most of your shopping would be in Prescott or Prescott Valley except for Safeway in Chino there's not much else. I believe that they are putting in a shopping center at the end of Outer Loop Road and Highway 89. Something that Chino could really use.

No, we didn't want to live in an HOA either. Coming from a state like New York the last thing we wanted was more bureaucracy. Most of the homes in Prescott Valley have HOA's.

Can't help you out regarding flights. I've never flown, all of our long distance trips have been by rail. Besides after living here we have no desire to go anywhere else.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco111 View Post
I looked at a community online by Mandalay Homes called Bright Star. The prices of the homes were very low compared to other parts of the Prescott area I've looked at. I think the lots are less than an acre, though. What would be the drawbacks to living there? I saw a youtube video of Chino Valley, and it showed cows and horses. What comes to mind is odor and flying insects. Would that be an issue in Bright Star or in other parts of Chino Valley? How about grocery stores? Other stores? I will be there in a couple of weeks, but anything I can learn in advance will help me make a decision. Someone told me summers are cooler in Chino Valley than in Prescott Valley because it is at a higher elevation. Is this true?
The higher the elevation the cooler the summer. Temp wise, I'm guessing there's not much difference between PV and Chino. Both are flat wide open areas. Indeed there are a lot of cows and horses in Chino. However they were there first. Don't move there and try to change that. The people who live there probably wouldn't appreciate that and rightly so.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happa Brat View Post
Hello all,

I am turning 50 in July and retiring. I have decided on Prescott Valley, I cannot live in Southern California a minute longer. I am a very conservative person and the political climate here is killing me.

I am moving with my wife and 6 year old son, I've seen a few one acre lots with 2000 sqft homes for $350K.

So, before I drop down a chunk of change, could anyone help me with the following:

What areas to absolutely avoid?

How are the public schools?

Are there great private, faith based schools?

I know the school question is a biased question, because quite frankly, anything is better than the public schools where I live. My first son was in the 4th grade 10 years ago, I visited his class and discovered a boy in his class with a known street gang tattoo on his triceps and the outright open disrespect of the teachers would have earned a boot in my day. My 6 year old is in a private, faith based school.

Thanks folks!

Cant wait to move. I'm a big gun enthusiast and the thought of being free again is, invigorating.
I don't know about his gun-ownership, but one of my extremely right-wing siblings moved to Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes and lived there until his death.

I'm sure I cancelled out every national vote he ever cast, and I've been looking at Prescott, AZ myself.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't know about his gun-ownership, but one of my extremely right-wing siblings moved to Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes and lived there until his death.

I'm sure I cancelled out every national vote he ever cast, and I've been looking at Prescott, AZ myself.
You can stop grinning now. Yavapai County is about 73% Republican. Your vote has a snowball's chance in Hades of making a difference.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You can stop grinning now. Yavapai County is about 73% Republican. Your vote has a snowball's chance in Hades of making a difference.
Don't forget, there are Independents like myself that vote R and some others that vote D.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:29 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Gee, I thought Indian Wells (next to Palm Desert) was pretty red at 62.7% Republican, but Yavapai County has that beat. All grinning aside, the point of my post was to let the guy who felt he had to leave California to find fellow Republicans know that he has a bunch of them out in the Desert in Riverside County.

Edit: I just looked up percentages and found the following:

http://city-stats.org/az/prescott/po...-politics-data

According to that, Indian Wells, CA has more Republicans than Prescott, AZ.

The percentage of the population that is registered as a Republican. 61.080%
The percentage of the population that is registered as a Democrat. 36.820%
The percentage of the population that is registered with an Independent Party. 2.100%

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 09-17-2016 at 01:46 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Gee, I thought Indian Wells (next to Palm Desert) was pretty red at 62.7% Republican, but Yavapai County has that beat. All grinning aside, the point of my post was to let the guy who felt he had to leave California to find fellow Republicans know that he has a bunch of them out in the Desert in Riverside County.
It sounds like one of the main reasons he wants to leave California is because of California's gun control laws and a state which is overwhelmingly dominated and controlled by Liberals. I don't blame him one bit. Other than a lifelong desire to live in the southwest Arizona in particular, that was one of the main reasons that drove us out.

There are many communities throughout "Blue" states that have Republican majorities. New York State included. Once you're out of the New York metro area the state is pretty much Republican. However NYC and it's metro area are overwhelmingly Democrat and that's where the majority of the state's population resides. Because of that they control the state government with an iron fist. No matter where you live in that state you are subject to that rule. It's current governor Cuomo once boasted after the passage of New York's "Safe Act": "That those who do not think like him are not welcome in New York". How's that for tolerance and civility? That act was nothing more than political retribution against those that do not think like him. That act criminalized the possession of what was once otherwise lawfully owned private property by making it now a class E felony.

One of the great things about this country is that there is a state for just about anyone. It makes absolutely no sense at least to me to move to a place that is not compatible with your own political beliefs and lifestyle. Move there and then try to change your adopted place into the place you've just left. No offense intended, but if the policies you so espouse are so great then why would you want to leave there in the first place? Only to move to a state which you are diametrically opposed to? Then try to ram your agenda down other peoples throats. More than likely you will be met with resentment and hostility.

It is my opinion that this would be a much better country if people would just mind their own business and leave other people the hell alone. We do not need to be enlightened by "holier than thou" elitists who wish to dictate and control every aspect of our lives. All for what they perceive to be for the "greater good". When all they really are after is absolute power. Who gets to determine what the "greater good" is and for whom?

This country was founded as a "Constitutional Republic" and not a democracy. The purpose of the Constitution is to preserve individual civil liberties from the abusive power of government and or majority rule. This was the whole reason for fighting a revolution and winning our independence from England.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-17-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-17-2016, 09:58 AM

243 posts, read 298,528 times
Blanco111: This is " Green Acres" country if your sensibilities cannot tolerate " odors and bugs " its probably not the right place for you. And I am in complete agreement with ExNewYorker if you are coming here with the hope of changing these things that we love about our area as well as being another liberal voice in the community please move on we like MOST of what we have just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott