Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM

533 posts, read 1,463,007 times

Advertisements

Religion is not mandatory to good parenting, that's just an opinion. Oftentimes religion will breed close-minded thinking as surely as anything else.

Quality time, teaching kids basic morals and responsibilities--that is universal. There is a difference between right and wrong and it doesn't take the teachings of Jesus, Allah, Budda or any other religious icon to spell it out. It's basic common decency and sensibility--tolerance for differing viewpoints and respect for individuals and society in general. Need much more of that in the home and abroad while excising the discriminations and stereotypes.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:01 PM

206 posts, read 535,652 times
WHAT... It's societies fault if a kid robs someones house??? There is NO exscuse for that behavior, NONE....Sounds like some people are minimizing repugnant actions because of some bias...

Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Such as?

There already are movies, skating, bowling, fishing, camping, hiking, museums, rock climbing and much more -

"Things"? Like what?

And, with due respect, refrain from using my real name. I have asked you politely several times.
How about WORK? There must be some kind of jobs for these kids. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, busboy, grocery store bagger, something to keep them busy and learn the value of work. I've worked a minimum of 40 hours a week since I was 13. While I realize we are in a recession, there are still jobs around that adults won't do, but kids could. That way they can start to learn to earn money instead of getting what they want "the easy way" by stealing it. Anyone who is smart enough and industrious enough to break into 85 homes probably has untapped potential as a business person if they could be steered in a productive and honest direction.

Again - this comes back to parenting and discipline. IMHO, the parent who does NOT raise the child to be a productive member of society is committing a form of child abuse... which turns into society abuse because the rest of us have to put up with them and then pay for their "training" -- in jail, in prison, in a rehab unit, or in and out of group homes and juvey. Your job as a parent is to raise the future successful entrepreneurs and employees of America. Would love to hear the parents' explanation for their little boy's transgressions.

of course, we can also put some of this on the media and hollyweirdization of our culture. Most parents stick their kids in front of the commercial player (TV) and then video and internet for entertainment so they don't have to be real parents. The kids learn that having "stuff" is the measure of a person's value. And their goals become entangled with getting. Meanwhile, the parents aren't around, because they have to work long hours to pay for the stuff they've been getting and showering on their little darlings (who got it without having to work for it) And Boom - we have a societal problem that seem to keep getting worse ...

OK - I drank too much coffee with lunch.
I'll get off the soapbox.
But this is a problem that is far larger than "what can a teenager do in Prescott?" And it's at the bottom of our current social problems and unfortunate direction the country is taking. "What can you give me without me having to work for it?"

Don't know what the answer is, but it probably ain't more bowling alleys.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,423,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
How about WORK? There must be some kind of jobs for these kids. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, busboy, grocery store bagger, something to keep them busy and learn the value of work. I've worked a minimum of 40 hours a week since I was 13. While I realize we are in a recession, there are still jobs around that adults won't do, but kids could. That way they can start to learn to earn money instead of getting what they want "the easy way" by stealing it. Anyone who is smart enough and industrious enough to break into 85 homes probably has untapped potential as a business person if they could be steered in a productive and honest direction.

Again - this comes back to parenting and discipline. IMHO, the parent who does NOT raise the child to be a productive member of society is committing a form of child abuse... which turns into society abuse because the rest of us have to put up with them and then pay for their "training" -- in jail, in prison, in a rehab unit, or in and out of group homes and juvey. Your job as a parent is to raise the future successful entrepreneurs and employees of America. Would love to hear the parents' explanation for their little boy's transgressions.

of course, we can also put some of this on the media and hollyweirdization of our culture. Most parents stick their kids in front of the commercial player (TV) and then video and internet for entertainment so they don't have to be real parents. The kids learn that having "stuff" is the measure of a person's value. And their goals become entangled with getting. Meanwhile, the parents aren't around, because they have to work long hours to pay for the stuff they've been getting and showering on their little darlings (who got it without having to work for it) And Boom - we have a societal problem that seem to keep getting worse ...

OK - I drank too much coffee with lunch.
I'll get off the soapbox.
But this is a problem that is far larger than "what can a teenager do in Prescott?" And it's at the bottom of our current social problems and unfortunate direction the country is taking. "What can you give me without me having to work for it?"

Don't know what the answer is, but it probably ain't more bowling alleys.
From what I have seen the parents can barely keep jobs, so finding work, or the money to pay these kids to work, can be hard to find.

Prescott suffers severly from the "small town syndrome" without means of transportation, it makes it hard to do anything.

Last edited by KarmaPhx; 12-16-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
From what I have seen the parents can barley keep jobs, so finding work, or the money to pay these kids to work, can be hard to find.

Prescott suffers severly from the "small town syndrome" without means of transportation, it makes it hard to do anything.

Prescott IS A SMALL TOWN. And those that founded the town, and their kids want to keep it that way.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,423,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Prescott IS A SMALL TOWN. And those that founded the town, and their kids want to keep it that way.
Who said it wasn't?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,872,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Who said it wasn't?
I believe they were trying to counteract you statement by stating that Prescott wants to remain a small town.

I believe that the town is being pulled in 2 directions. Those who want it to remain small (retirees) and those who want it to grow (youth, business people, investors). I equate Prescott to a teenager; Awkward, not an adult but not a child either, does not know what to do or what to do with themselves, is in a lost phase.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM

533 posts, read 1,463,007 times
It's not just Prescott...it's the whole area that's in question, and why a couple kids turned to burglary. It has nothing to do with the town needing to take care of them and entertain them, keep them out of trouble. Whether in a small town or large one, with the same parental upbringing they'd most likely wind up getting in trouble regardless. And it may not be a lack of parental interest, they could simply have gotten involved with other bad apples that led to their criminal activity. However, the dividing line here is that it's not the town's fault these kids burgled a neighborhood. The area provides what it provides and beyond that, people need to be less dependent on others for their daily validation and attention. It still comes down to the home and maintaining both interest and vigilance in your kids' lives. If you choose to procreate then be responsible for what you've created. If you're going to have kids and just neglect them, or expect others to raise them for you--then why do them and yourself the disservice? It only adds to the burden of society as a whole.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM

73 posts, read 302,891 times
Maybe the parents are criminals, no one has said anything about the parents... There's a lot of drugs in the area...not only for the kids but a lot of parents are strung out on the stuff too. I know one young lady in the area with 3 kids and is stung out on drugs all the time, step father ends up cooking for the kids due to the fact she is passed out for sometimes 3 days. She can be on the computer with a cigarette in hand and just pass out right there dropping the cigarette on the floor still burning on the carpet of the manufactured house... The step father has tried everything from turning her into the local police to calling CPS... I have called the same people with no luck. The county (CPS) just turns the other cheek, they won't even walk into the room where's she is passed out in... No search warrant or they (CPS) are not allowed to enter her room since it's her house... Just think how these kids are going to turn out... CPS is just a joke.... I'm sure there are other families in the area just like this, thank god I rasied my son with no problems... There's not enough jobs in the area to keep all teenagers working, maybe us retired people should at least pay a few teenagers $25 to put our Christmas lights up and another $25 to take them down, at least they would have a little Christmas money to spend... Just an ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott