Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 65,297 times

Advertisements

I wish someone would address the cost of living. It is getting so there are no good jobs anywhere anymore. Presscott or anyplace else. My husband needs to be near a VA, which Prescott has. Right now he drives 2 hours yo Vegas and it is disgusting ( North Las vegas). I hate Reid just baised on the way his state treats Veterans. We have always loved Presscott but fear the "you have to have money to live here". Any help would be great. We hate big cities. Open to anyplace with a decent VA and decent climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,574 times
Default I think Prescott would suit you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte50 View Post
I wish someone would address the cost of living. It is getting so there are no good jobs anywhere anymore. Presscott or anyplace else. My husband needs to be near a VA, which Prescott has. Right now he drives 2 hours yo Vegas and it is disgusting ( North Las vegas). I hate Reid just baised on the way his state treats Veterans. We have always loved Presscott but fear the "you have to have money to live here". Any help would be great. We hate big cities. Open to anyplace with a decent VA and decent climate.
My suggestion is to spend the day, look the place over, contact a realtor. This is a beautiful and scenic area with year round weather. The only part most people don't like is the wind, that is a nuisance during March, April and May. But, I think you and your family will love it up here. I know that people who need to work, usually find a job. That is what I see up here. There are a few people on this board that only speak negative but that is the who they are. The only thing I see that is a little bit more costly are property tax. Yavapai County has higher pt than most other counties in the state. During the winter months, you will spend a little more on heat. Everything is relative. If you like it up here in this area, you will make it work. Best of Luck to you.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,889,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
What are the advantages of Prescott *Valley*? Okay, no Korean restaurant, how about sushi restaurants? Must have sushi.
You're better off in Prescott for the restuarants. I'm sorry (hope I don't offend anyone), but the restuarants in Prescott Valley are really lame and the people that work in them aren't very nice either. Just my opinion folks. I prefer to eat out in Prescott. More variety too there, for sure.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 14,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myx70 View Post
Gee, that's wierd. Blaming all the negatives on Californians. Never heard that one before. I wonder what the "Natives" said 150 years ago. 90% of Arizonians came from somewehre else, just like California.
150 years ago? Just a little dated comparison isn't it? And many Californians do take their attitude with them wherever they move.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver94 View Post
150 years ago? Just a little dated comparison isn't it? And many Californians do take their attitude with them wherever they move.
Classic...

Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,325,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butte50 View Post
A lot would depend on whether you're buying or renting as to cost of living. Prescott is quite a bit higher than the surrounding communities when it comes to purchasing a house (at least 30%+ higher than Chino Valley and Prescott Valley); however rents don't seem to be much higher in Prescott than in Prescott Valley.

As far as gasoline, we're usually a little less than Phoenix. I can't really comment on food prices, since I always buy locally and there's some pretty good competition with 2 Wal-Marts here in the Prescott/PV area.

Prescott Valley and Chino Valley are only about 15 minutes away from the VA hospital in Prescott. Chino Valley is only about 10,000 pop and feels quite rural. Prescott Valley is larger at about 30,000+ pop.

Hope this info helps.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,815 times
Default May be moving from San Diego

I hear a lot of people say that the cost of living in Prescott is such that it might be better to live in PV. That said, I read that the median income for most in Prescott is 42k a year. By San Diego standards that is a touch low (no offense, it's all to do with the cost of living in your state). Is this about the median househole income or do you think the this information might be off? How much do you need to make to be comfortable in Prescott? I've also heard mixed reviews on the education in AZ. I'm a teacher in San Diego and chose to work at a Private school because our system is a little screwy. I've seen great things about AZ, but someone on this forum writes about how bad the schools in Prescott are. What is the real scoop? Finally, my husband and I are in our early 30s, and want to start a family and makes some new friends. Is Prescott an area in which this could happen? I know what I've read about it being an "older" crowed but there has to be SOME young people there right? Any help would be great.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,815 times
PRESCOTT AZ HAS THE WORST SCHOOLS IN THE STATE IF YOUR CHILD IS SPECIAL NEEDS
Are you saying that if your child has special needs then the schools in Prescott are poor? I'd love to hear your reasons for speaking so low of the schools. I am a teacher in Cal. and may move to AZ (Prescott) with my husband's job. We dont have kids yet, but want them.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
The job market here is primarily low paying retail. The population has an unfortunate number of Mod cut: rednecks and Mod Cut: Name calling wealthy retirees. The schools will be losing teachers this year, because since the housing market tanked and the retired people do not want to pay, the tax support is gone. It is very difficult to get a family practice doctor, as there are not enough to go around.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 05-07-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,702,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
"No good resturants"...? WTF? Prescott is loaded with quality restaurants and the best part is, 80% of them aren't chains!

I hear you. I don't like the chain resturants much anyway and we have lots of independent places to go all with their own flair.
But my father was right when he told me corporate America was going to ruin this country, they almost have.
All they care about it the peanut count, the monthly profits.
The could care less about customers for the most part, or employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott