Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,588,201 times

Advertisements

The first week of the new NFL season came and went with many surprises( some good and others not so good). Only 4 of last season's playoff teams won their opening games ( Packers- the current champs, Eagles ,Bears and Ravens while 7 lost ( Chiefs, Saints, Jets, Seahawks , Falcons , Colts and last season's other Super Bowl contender the Steelers - and worse of all the opposing teams of the latter two have really blown them out of the water). It is yet to be seen as to how the 12th playoff team will bode ( the Patriots- they don't play until tonight). Meanwhile OTOH three of the four last season's "basement" teams won and did very well ( Bengals, Bills and Lions) and the fourth ( the Panthers) lost by a one possession score. If patterns have been made ( however the season is brand new and there is no telling yet) this could make for a pretty interesting season. We are going to have to wait and see how this season plays, but yesterday's results were pretty surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
I was not surprised by Ravens Packers. In fact I was telling my friends how good the ravens are going to be this year and also said that Ray Rice is going to be the number 1 running back in fantasy points this year.

I was surprised Cam newton put up so many damned yards but I think that ends with week 2 being vs green bay.

I was surprised how bad rothburger sucked last night. He looked liked Tony Romo. Ooh burn!

I was not surprised at all how bad the patriots blew out the dolphins monday night. OH wait that hasnt happened yet, but it will tonight.

What really surprised me was how many veteran and or feature running backs got shut down this first week.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
I surfed between two early games today; ATL-CHI and PIT-BAL, and I was surprised at the lopsided scores in both of those games, as well as three other games that I did not watch. There were FIVE lopsided scores in the early games of week one (9-11-11):
- Eagles 31 at Rams 13
- Bills 41 at Chiefs 7
- Falcons 12 at Bears 30
- Steelers 7 at Ravens 35
- Colts 7 at Texans 34

I was also surprised that my Redskins beat the Giants.

And I was surprised and delighted to watch that last quarter of the Jets-Cowboys game. That WAS amazing football. As a bit of a Redskin fan, any team that beats the Cowboys is a friend of mine.

I have my fingers crossed in hopes the Bronco's can surprise me and beat the Raiders tonight in MNF. That would really ICE week one for me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I was not surprised at the Falcons/Bears result at all. I said on the Bears thread I thought they could win. Bears/Packers play similar ball, Bears came close to beating the Packers last year so it did not surprise me they could get after the Falcons (as did the Packers). Falcons are so overrated, just my thought don't blast me for it.

I was very surprised at the Steelers/Ravens game, know it is a big rivalry but the defense looked weak, Steelers just weren't playing like you expect them to play.

I watched the Jets/Cowboys game and couldn't get over how they gave that game to the Jets, what was Romo thinking? Fall on the ball, kick a field goal, they were ahead, for Pete's sake! I thought the game was theirs.

Interested in the Patriots game tonight, only to see how they are shaping up as a team, thinking far in the future to a Pats/Pack Super Bowl!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
Seattle was favored to win but 49ers came out strong and surprised everyone.
Ginn Jr is the best kick returner so far.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 AM

The rookie gets my vote as a kick returner, awesome Randall Cobb for 108 yards plus great barrel roll!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,062,512 times
I was suprised that the Redskins beat the NY Midgets... It was a good surprise, I hope they're playing this well in November and December!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
My big team surprise was the Bills showing out against the Chiefs. My personal surprise was Cam Newton playing so well against Arizona.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM

It will be interesting to see how he does this weekend against the Packers! When asked about Cam, Mike McCarthy said, 422!!! He took notice!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,104,413 times
I was surprised to hear 517 yards for Brady but I was even more surprised with how good Chad Henne was. 416 yards passing 59 running and 3 TD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football