Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,681,884 times

Advertisements

Wait...did we mention how bad Shannon Sharpe is? We can't have this discussion without mentioning him as one of the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,086,049 times
The Monday night crew is DREADFULL!! Man.. they never shut up and they never discuss what's actually happening on the field. Al Michaels is probably my favorite, he's awesome!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,862,673 times
I think they should get away from using former players and move toward using journalists again. While there's no doubt that a former player's insight is valuable, I would prefer to hear from someone who is actually good at calling a game and can analyze from an outside perspective. Journalists have spent their whole career analyzing the game's finer details, players spent most of it on the field.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,263,822 times
Honestly, they are all bad. Some are just not quite as bad as others. I have taken to turning down the sound and putting music on.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,871,097 times
Why did Madden and Summerall retire? They are the best national commentators in history.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,689,402 times
I've always been a major Al Michaels fan. He is very good. I'll never forget the earthquake in San Fran and he switched over to do regular reporting, did an excellent job.

This was before instant news, because they were doing the ball game, they were first hand. Other stations were saying we have yet to confirm a report on another station reporting an earthquake blah, blah. I gained a new respect for Michaels, he handled it very well, received some award or nomination, I think for his coverage.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,029,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I think they are all over-paid idiots. Just sayin'
None of them are idiots. You have to put yourselves in their shoes and realize how hard that job actually is. How would you do having a conversation in front of millions of people and have to keep talking and sometimes have nothing to really talk about? It take a special talent to be able to do that well and not many people have it.

Tony Kornheiser is the only person that has done NFL games that I truly could not stand and I would actually classify as an idiot. I cannot believe he has a TV job. Some others might not be the best but they know the game and they try.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,029,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why did Madden and Summerall retire? They are the best national commentators in history.
Madden is how old? If you had that much money and could do whatever you wanted wouldnt you retire at some point. On top of that, he always said the obvious such as, "if they get into the end zone here, they will score 6 points." He actually said that numerous times or said, "if the defensive back catches the ball, it will result in an interception." It felt like he was announcing the game to people that didnt know the rules. I really think he was drinking heavily when announcing the games.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,034,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I always liked them together, but they are simply...well...old. Pat Summerall is listed as 81 and his bio says he was doing this since 1962. My dad is currently in his mid-60s and I think that would make him a freshman in high school that year. lol

Madden is up there too. Listed at 76. Something tells me that they were sort of forced out of there given their age.

Either way, I have to admit that I'm impressed with Troy Aikman and Joe Buck.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,033,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
None of them are idiots. You have to put yourselves in their shoes and realize how hard that job actually is. How would you do having a conversation in front of millions of people and have to keep talking and sometimes have nothing to really talk about? It take a special talent to be able to do that well and not many people have it.

Tony Kornheiser is the only person that has done NFL games that I truly could not stand and I would actually classify as an idiot. I cannot believe he has a TV job. Some others might not be the best but they know the game and they try.
I agree with a lot on here but this is the stone cold truth. Tony is awful. He has a radio show in the Dc area and he rarely talks about sports!!! I always make fun of my brother for watching pti because this man admits all the time that he basically doesn't watch the games because he goes to bed really early. Why would I want to listen to someone talk about sports that he doesn't even watch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football