Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:16 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

Each season it seems to be getting worse. No, it's not just the increased amount commercials which are wedged in at every opportunity (I swear they instituted this review rule after a touchdown just so they can squeeze in more commercials), and it's not the ridiculous and often immature antics of the players or the stupid sound bites from coaches after a game. I've come to accept all that crap that goes with a Sunday afternoon of football in front of the tube.

What's really ruining my experience each week is listening to these commentators and pre/post game analysts, most of whom are about two steps up from the missing link on the evolution chart, who babble on about nonsense that either no one cares about, is totally biased, or just plain clueless. One would think some of these clowns are taking kick backs for PR work for some of these players who they make excuses for or try to convince us that they are better than they really are. They all have their favorites who can do no wrong, and most of them are just plain annoying. Either that or dull as watching paint dry.

Every so often there's a couple who are actually pretty good, only problem is, that guy is paired up with a moron who ruins it for me. So I'm watching more and more games with the sound muted, because I can't tolerate most of these mouthbreathers. Here's my short list:

The entire MNF cast, especially Gruden - Gruden never shuts up and Torico is boooooorrrrring.
Chris Berman - not funny, at all!
Dan Dierdorf - clueless
Chris Collinsworth - snarky, thin skinned, and obnoxious.
Deion Sanders - I don't even know where to begin...he's the worst ever.
Michael Irvin - See, Deon Sanders
Phil Simms - Yawn, Mr. Obvious
Randy Cross - Moron!

The ones I like are:

Al Michaels
Nessler and Mayock
Tony Dungy
Howie Long
Terry Bradshaw
Jim Nance
Steve Mariucci
Marshall Faulk
Dan Marino

Honestly, they can do away with most if not all of the ESPN cast as well as NFL Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I like the Fox crew better than most others.

Berman is really annoying to listen to for any period of time. Jaworski seems clueless.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
I like the NBC crew the best. They are good in the studio.

I'm really starting to not like Mike Mayock. He says some irrational things during the game that makes your scratch your head.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:47 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
My favorites:

Jim Nantz - feels like a big game when he does it
Al Michaels - classic
Boomer Esiason - seems smart
Marv Albert - classic
Kevin Harlan - gonna be classic someday
James Brown - the quintessential studio guy

I don't care much for the Fox studio guys, I prefer CBS' outfit.

I could do without ever hearing a Thom Brennaman broadcast ever again. I'm sure he's a nice guy though. Joe Buck needs to sound a little more interested.

NBC has the best production by far. MNF has really fallen off since it moved to ESPN.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
I despise Scott Hansen on NFL Red Zone. Love the action, but hate the commentary. There's something about his voice.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:10 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Gus Johnson is awesome. Like James Brown at CBS. Terry Bradshaw and Jimmie Johnson are good too.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Collinsworth just goes on and on and on and on and on and on. So annoying.

I like Dungy's analyses most of the time. There's a quiet intelligence to him that I like.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
I think they are all over-paid idiots. Just sayin'

Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I think they are all over-paid idiots. Just sayin'
Yeah, I'm with this. Most of them IMO are pretty terrible. Simms IMO is the worst, since he's a first-team analyst. When I can even make sense of what he's saying, he's often just flat-out wrong. Buck is just a tool who got where he is because of who his dad was. How anyone can take Gruden seriously when everyone is just flat-out awesome and the best ever is beyond me. Tony Siragusa adds about 350 pounds to his team's broadcasts and that's about it. Jim Nantz is like the John Tesh of sports to me- so pretentious.

I like Al Michaels a lot- just the sound of his voice says "big event" to me, and he's good at his job, too. I'll miss him a ton when he's done. Aikman isn't too bad IMO, but I know a lot of people don't like him and I can see why- same with Collinsworth. I dunno- most of the rest of them are just terrible.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Absolutely, positively dont like Mike Ditka (I have said this in other threads)--he is the worst, never adds anything to the broadcast. Too me, maybe outside of Berman (whose schtick is sooooo old), no one else is even close to how bad Ditka is.

Funny, I like Ron Jaworski. I dont mind Collinsworth either. Tirico is great.

Gruden, meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football