Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2021, 02:09 PM

12,511 posts, read 9,595,585 times

Advertisements

They clearly still have things to work on (e.g. penalties and passing game), but in the last two weeks, the Patriots have two wins against decent opponents and they move to 5-4, I think you can call them a decent team at this point.

Mac Jones hasn't done too much the past couple of weeks, but the Pats' defense and their running game have been performing well. After a big day, running backs Rahmondre Stevenson and Daimien Harris were both hurt and unable to continue - hopefully nothing serious in their conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 02:26 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,054,798 times
It’s nice to see some familiar faces. Sam Darnold hasn’t changed at all.

Patriots defense performed well while Gilmore sees from the other side of the field. I hope he knows it’s nothing personal.

5-4 looks good, and after the Bills this afternoon, the Patriots may have a chance to at least split next month.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:12 AM

Both the Patriots and the Browns currently have a 5-4 record, and both of them have a kind of old school, run-first offense. Unfortunately, both of them also have some top running backs out with injury - Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt are out for the Browns and Damien Harris is out for the Pats. RB Rhamondre Stevenson of the Pats was also out with a head injury in last weekend's game, and he didn't practice all week, but the late word from Adam Schefter is that he's expected to play today.

Both teams also still have playoff aspirations and so this is arguably a must-win game for both of them, should be hard-fought.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:59 PM

The win over the Browns was their best game so far. This isn't a juggernaut kind of team like from the Pats' glory days. But IMO it's clearly a better team than last year. I am sure there will be setbacks, but the trend toward improvement is definitely there. The defense has been playing very well, and Hunter Henry seems to get better and better at TE. Rhamondre Stevenson had a great day today and I think improvement from the Pats OL has been underlying the improvements from the rest of the offense in both pass and run game.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:48 AM

The Patriots' offensive line had already been improving their performance and they got 6ft8-380lb Trent Brown back for yesterday's game at the Browns. Not saying the only improvements have been on the offensive line over the past month, but I really don't think you can separate the greater offensive productivity from the OL play.

Quarterbacks have an easier time making a completion if they have more time to throw and that goes double for throws downfield. Running backs have an easier time making a solid gain when they can get up a head of steam and at least get past the defensive line through a gap. Blocking works!

Old 11-21-2021, 07:33 PM

Whaaaaaat? The Bills lost to Indy today, and now stand at 6-4, which puts the Patriots atop the AFC East at 7-4. Whaaaat? Whut?

Old 11-21-2021, 08:13 PM

I wasn’t expecting that myself, but I’ll take it.

I wonder what the Media pundits will say tomorrow. It seemed like the same guys dismissing Bill last season are surprised at what they have been seeing from what was supposed to be a rebuilding Patriots team… . An interesting season, indeed!

Last edited by LexWest; 11-21-2021 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-22-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I wasn’t expecting that myself, but I’ll take it.

I wonder what the Media pundits will say tomorrow. It seemed like the same guys dismissing Bill last season are surprised at what they have been seeing from what was supposed to be a rebuilding Patriots team… . An interesting season, indeed!
There are a few pundits that do careful analysis and limit their predictions to what's responsible to say... but most seem to want to be "interesting", which means making strong, clear statements (even if the data isn't), extrapolating a lot and being the first to predict something.

I think this whole "Brady vs Belichick" debate is a lot of nonsense - Belichick is legitimately a great coach and Brady is legitimately a great quarterback, and it's impossible to parse out who was responsible how much for each success they had over their years together. That may not be as "interesting" as the dualing conclusions that one just rode on the back of the other's greatness all those years, but it's a lot more accurate.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:14 PM

Wow…it’s happening—First the Division and now the #1 Seed tonight.

I know anything can happen tomorrow, and I don’t want to take anything for granted, but I’ll enjoy it while the ball is in their possession. It’s been an unexpected year and exciting year so far.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Wow…it’s happening—First the Division and now the #1 Seed tonight.

I know anything can happen tomorrow, and I don’t want to take anything for granted, but I’ll enjoy it while the ball is in their possession. It’s been an unexpected year and exciting year so far.
It's definitely been a fun year to watch the Patriots, and likewise, I have no big expectations, though I am now *hoping* they will make the playoffs and think they have a better than 50-50 chance of doing so at this point.

If they beat Buffalo by 3 points, the analysts will say this is the "new Patriots dynasty in the making" and if they lose to Buffalo by 3 points, the analysts will say that Buffalo "exposed them".

It is a significant game, basically a battle for the division lead in week 13 of 18. Not the end of the world, and they'll meet again on Dec 26, but it will be a disappointing setback for whoever loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football