Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm amazed at how much coverage and attention this has gotten! It's football, people, not world politics or something really important. I love football. I loved watching Brett Favre play (the Packers/Panthers game in 96 is the first game my hubby and I watched together) but players come and go. It's the way it is. What really bugs me about the whole thing is that he sat on tv back in March crying saying he just mentally couldn't do it anymore and was done. They call him in JUNE and he says no I'm not coming back. They move on and bam. He's back wanting to play. The Packers organization did the only thing they could. Brett should have stayed retired and not ruined his reputation with a lot of people. That one interception would not have overshadowed all his years as one of the best QB's in the game. He should have retired a Packer. He's one of those that will always be thought of with a certain team. He is a Packer not a Jet. Oh well. I'm a Panther fan anyway but I wish all of this would go away. It's getting old. It's done. Time to move on with football season!!! Are you ready for some football????????

I realize if you arent a Packer fan it gets annoying. However, the only word that describes the relationship between Favre and Packer fans is love. As I stated in a previous post we fans have been through alot with Brett. I will be honest I got teary eyed watching him Monday night vs the Raiders after his dad died. I am willing to beat Brett was not the only one in Green Bay crying when he retired this year. Our fans went out and bought thousands of pink Packer hats when Brett's wife was diagnosed with cancer. For 16 years this man has been with us every Sunday. Alot could change in our lives but we knew every Sunday during football season Brett would be there. So him leaving is a big deal for us, it is sad. No matter how much I hate him, inside I will never forget what he has done for us. The Jets could trade him to the Raiders but Brett will always be a Packer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'm amazed at how much coverage and attention this has gotten! It's football, people, not world politics or something really important. I love football. I loved watching Brett Favre play (the Packers/Panthers game in 96 is the first game my hubby and I watched together) but players come and go. It's the way it is. What really bugs me about the whole thing is that he sat on tv back in March crying saying he just mentally couldn't do it anymore and was done. They call him in JUNE and he says no I'm not coming back. They move on and bam. He's back wanting to play. The Packers organization did the only thing they could. Brett should have stayed retired and not ruined his reputation with a lot of people. That one interception would not have overshadowed all his years as one of the best QB's in the game. He should have retired a Packer. He's one of those that will always be thought of with a certain team. He is a Packer not a Jet. Oh well. I'm a Panther fan anyway but I wish all of this would go away. It's getting old. It's done. Time to move on with football season!!! Are you ready for some football????????
no, he divorced you folks because you did not want him anymore. He is a Jet now, even if packer fans are in a state of denial. Ive gone back to jobs after a time off (1 year). I thought I did not have it in me anymore, and bam, a little time and reflection and I was as good as new. Your wrong. HE is BRET THE JET now. But hes still mean and wearing GREEN.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Default Hall of Fame

Oh. Now I see what this is all about. Of course Favre will always be a Packer. When and if Favre finally retires, he will then be in the running for HOF inductee and this discussion will surface again. Of course Packer fan and Packer Organization wants to keep a finger on their beloved future Hall-of-Famer. I would do the same.

Let's go back to when Favre annouced his retirement; Was it Feb. 28th? Or was it March 6th? Didn't he say he thought he could physically still play, but mentally he was done? Didn't he say that he would only want to come back if he knew he could win the Super Bowl and to go to the Super Bowl and lose would be worse than not going at all? What does he think his fate holds with the Jets?

What's the dill, Pickle? I say he retires before the season starts.

There. Now it's end of story.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
no, he divorced you folks because you did not want him anymore. He is a Jet now, even if packer fans are in a state of denial. Ive gone back to jobs after a time off (1 year). I thought I did not have it in me anymore, and bam, a little time and reflection and I was as good as new. Your wrong. HE is BRET THE JET now. But hes still mean and wearing GREEN.
He didn't divorce me b/c I don't care. I'm a Panther fan. I guess I don't burn my bridges before I'm sure when I leave a job. He burned the bridge this time and he really has no one to blame but himself. I just wish the media would let it go. There are 32 teams getting ready to play this season not just one man!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
If that were the case, he would have returned the calls from the Jets and Bucs when they were initially interested in him. He refused. Then he would have accepted the offer to compete for his old job back. He refused.

He wanted to go and play for GB. He was never offered a chance at his old job. That was PR spin that Roger Goodell forced the team to say when he signed the reinstatement. They were never going to let Brett touch the field.

Quote:
Well, let's see. It's Brett who admitted he couldn't get past his anger at management. It's Brett who threw a tantrum when he sat down with McCarthy, who offered him a chance to come back and compete for his job. .
Again, he was never offered a chance to compete for the job.

Quote:
It's Brett who jerked this team around for years with his indecision. .

He never did that. The media created the whole indecision frenzy. He was always coming back unless he said otherwize but up until March he never said he wasnt. I think everyone knew he was coming back, I never had a doubt in my mind. The media creates things by their reporting which is what they did every offseason for three or four years.

Quote:
It's Brett who publicly criticized his own teammate, Javon Walker, for badmouthing the organization during a contract disupute, and then he goes and does the same thing. .
When did Brett ever holdout for more money? That's what Javon did. A player who holds out for more money deserves to be criticized.

Quote:
It's Brett who called out management for not making the roster and coaching moves that HE wanted. It's Brett who demanded to have everything done his way, even after unretiring, retiring, and unretiring again, after demanding a trade to a division opponent so he could take revenge against the team, and after lying about and backstabbing just about everyone he could. No, I'd say Brett pretty much has himself to blame for how this shook out..

When did Brett ever call out management? Their were reports he wasnt happy about some moves or lack there of but he never came out and called them out.

"unretiring, retiring, and unretiring again"

Use your fingers to count if you have to, he only retired and unretired once each.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
That's been the plan ever since March. No one seemed to have a problem with it until Brett started his little comeback drama. I really think people are misdirecting their anger at management toward Rodgers. He's the same guy who was appoitned to lead this team in March, and now all of a sudden he's worthless?

The Packers didn't "get rid" of anyone. Brett did this to himself.
I have no anger towards Rodgers. How did you manage to fabricate that? I actually like Rodgers. He seems to have a great personality, hard work ethic, and strong drive to compete. Honestly, nothing would make me happier than to see Rodgers lead the Packers back into the playoffs and to a Super Bowl win.

I guess my only issue is that it seems people think he's a golden qb that is going to waste by sitting on the bench. Sure he needs a shot sooner or later, but that isn't justification for letting a proven top 5 QB go. Now that Favre is gone, I hope the Packers can get focused and come out strong and win the NFC North. The fact that Rodgers has been injured twice in VERY limited action is a concern to me. Maybe they were both fluke injuries and he'll be tough after all.

All I'm saying is that I'm not jumping on the Rodgers will be great bandwagon. Teams that do that with an unproven qb and build all the hype usually end up trying to play a qb that isn't that great for too long because of nothing more than hype. Think Rex Grossman. If Rodgers does well, great, we keep pushing forward. If he totally stinks, we bench him and see what our other qb's have. If he's mediocre, you give him this season and part of next season to see how much he can progress, and then judge him based on that and decide if he is your starter or if its time to "move forward".

Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I realize if you arent a Packer fan it gets annoying. However, the only word that describes the relationship between Favre and Packer fans is love. As I stated in a previous post we fans have been through alot with Brett. I will be honest I got teary eyed watching him Monday night vs the Raiders after his dad died. I am willing to beat Brett was not the only one in Green Bay crying when he retired this year. Our fans went out and bought thousands of pink Packer hats when Brett's wife was diagnosed with cancer. For 16 years this man has been with us every Sunday. Alot could change in our lives but we knew every Sunday during football season Brett would be there. So him leaving is a big deal for us, it is sad. No matter how much I hate him, inside I will never forget what he has done for us. The Jets could trade him to the Raiders but Brett will always be a Packer.
Well said.
He will always be a Packer to me as well. Just as Montana a 49er etc.
Nothing that has happend in the past month can undo what he did for the club and Packer-Nation in the past 16 years. Bad taste in our mouths right now, sure. Management's fault, Brett's fault? Does not matter now. We move on (it is just a game afterall). The Packers were the Packers long before Brett got there, and they will be the Packers long after this day. Best of luck to him and lets get ready to kick it off!!

Go Pack Go!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
lets get ready to kick it off!!

Go Pack Go!!!
Thats what Im wanting to. Lets put all this hypothetical garbage to rest. Lets see if Rodgers can play and what Favre does in NY.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Your wrong. HE is BRET THE JET now. But hes still mean and wearing GREEN.
If I knew you in real life I would bet you a lunch that:

1) Favre finishes the season <15th in QB rating.
2) The Jets finish <.500
3) Favre gets booed.

Actually, I think it will be much, much uglier than that but I feel those are reasonable predictions for a bet.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If I knew you in real life I would bet you a lunch that:

1) Favre finishes the season <15th in QB rating.
2) The Jets finish <.500
3) Favre gets booed.

Actually, I think it will be much, much uglier than that but I feel those are reasonable predictions for a bet.
That is laughable. I wish I did know you in real life so I could get a free lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football