Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

McGowdog is right on Los Angeles. Back in the 1950's they drew as many people as anyone in the National Football League. Obviously their big rivalry would be the 49ers. Her's a stat for ya- in the 1957 season they drew 102,368 to the Colusseum for their game against the 49ers.

I went to a Bronco/Raider game just once, yes, and lived to tell about it. The Los Angeles/Anaheim Rams last NFL home game on Christmas Eve 1994 against the Washington Redskins drew a whopping 25,705 fans. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas.

They had their shot. Twice. They will probably get a franchise because of politics but not for a while if they do because of the stadium issue. And the Colusseum is not going to work on this issue. I know that is a gigantic tv market out there, but I don't see it happening. The only possibility is if San Diego moved to LA which could happen as from what I can tell nothing positive has been done regarding their stadium issue.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Let's get something straight state. San Antonio and Austin makeup a prime area for an NFL team and you know it. And for the umpteenth time, Dallas does not own South Texas. Not enough to prevent another team from coming here or, prevent an expansion team from coming to the area. I like many others around here despise the cowpigs and wish that would just go very far away. You smug cowpig fans make me want to attack the next idiot I see with a Dallas jersey on.

Las Vegas, London, Richmond and Little Rock as well as Memphis are absolutely ridiculous spots to consider.
If you want to attack Cowboy fans because of some random person on the internet, than you're the one with issues. Fact of the matter is, the Cowboys have a giant base in San Antonio and Austin. If San Antonio gets an NFL team, the Cowboys will still have a huge base in South Texas. You can forget about Austin because that will forever be Cowboy country. Fact of the matter is that the Cowboys run the state and will for the forseeable future.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
1-No,San Antonio-already have Dallas and Houston;another Texas team wouldn't draw over the long haul
2-Maybe
3-Good Choice
4-High Demand(my #1 choice)
5-NO WAY (Cleveland and Cincy already too many)
6-Nope(See #1)
7-Not enough of a demand
8-You already have Jacksonville,Miami,and Tampa-so no
9-might be a good choice
10-I like this one

**How about a team in places like Iowa,Alabama,Tennesee(good support for college teams would probably mean the same for the pro's)

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post

**How about a team in places like Iowa,Alabama,Tennesee(good support for college teams would probably mean the same for the pro's)
Tennesee has the Titans

Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you want to attack Cowboy fans because of some random person on the internet, than you're the one with issues. Fact of the matter is, the Cowboys have a giant base in San Antonio and Austin. If San Antonio gets an NFL team, the Cowboys will still have a huge base in South Texas. You can forget about Austin because that will forever be Cowboy country. Fact of the matter is that the Cowboys run the state and will for the forseeable future.
Yep.

Hell, even with the Texans in existance, I still see just as much Cowboys stuff down there in the Houston area as much as I see it up here in DFW (btw, I back home for the week.... thank GOD! It's nice to see the sun again). I always say, the 'Boys own about 70% of the fan base here in Texas. I don't know if that's a fact, but it certainly seems that way.

And even if San Antonio gets a team (and I believe that WILL happen someday), San Antonio will STILL be Cowboy country.

..... and looking back at it, I have no idea why I listed Austin. That will always be a college sports town.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

or good support co college teams would probably be bad for the pro's. Alabaman's themselves will tell you that Saturday is about Football and Sunday's are about going to church and settling down. Alabama and Auburn make this a very dominate college football state. Not to mention that there aren't any real big metro areas. Just three mid-sized metro areas.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Tennesee has the Titans
Oops-----forgot!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
or good support co college teams would probably be bad for the pro's. Alabaman's themselves will tell you that Saturday is about Football and Sunday's are about going to church and settling down. Alabama and Auburn make this a very dominate college football state. Not to mention that there aren't any real big metro areas. Just three mid-sized metro areas.
When I was with the military about an hour out of KC Missouri people were like this too but by 1pm they weren't in church and no one mattered except the Chiefs!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Quote:
I meant the attack term figuratively for one thing. And secondly what I objected to in the post I responded to was the smug nature of the comments. I do not deny that the cowpigs have many fans in South and indeed all of Texas. What I'm saying is that they are not the only show in town.

And just as there are many cowpig fans in San Antonio and Austin there are as many Spurs fans there as well. Primarily because the two franchises have been very successful and have won numerous Championships. Oh and incidentally, when San Antonio gets its football team Austin will become apart of that TV market for reasons of proximity. Sorry Austin cowpig fans.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Quote:
1-No,San Antonio-already have Dallas and Houston;another Texas team wouldn't draw over the long haul
2-Maybe
3-Good Choice
4-High Demand(my #1 choice)
5-NO WAY (Cleveland and Cincy already too many)
6-Nope(See #1)
7-Not enough of a demand
8-You already have Jacksonville,Miami,and Tampa-so no
9-might be a good choice
10-I like this one

At over 2.2 million and one of the fastest rates of growth for a major American city how can you say that San Antonio could not support an NFL team over time? That doesn't make sense. Franchises have been placed in numerous similar sized places precisely because they have great futures. Charlotte, Nashville, and Denver are prime examples and San Antonio is no different. It seems that several people on this forum have an outdated and inaccurate view of today's San Antonio. San Antonio is the 7th largest city and the 27th largest TV market in the country. And is expected to grow by leaps and bounds in the years ahead. And it is certainly a place that can support and an NFL team for 10 games a year plus the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football