Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 01:03 PM

26,270 posts, read 49,193,517 times

Advertisements

Last night the Vikings sank themselves with four turnovers and dropped passes. Still, they made it close.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 01:07 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,878,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacannon View Post
Week 2

Vikings @ Eagles

Packers @ Falcons
Raiders @ Bills
Ravens @ Bengals
Seahawks @ Lions
Chargers @ Titans
Bears @ Buccaneers
Chiefs @ Jaguars
Colts @ Texans
49ers @ Rams
Giants @ Cardinals
Jets @ Cowboys
Commanders @ Broncos
Dolphins @ Patriots

Saints @ Panthers (Mon.)
Browns @ Steelers (Mon.)
My picks highlighted

Old 09-15-2023, 01:35 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,038,462 times
I still dont understand the touch back rule that cost the Vikings the game when Jefferson fumbled the ball out of bounds of the TD and the Eagles got it back. Makes no sense to me.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:02 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,972,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I still dont understand the touch back rule that cost the Vikings the game when Jefferson fumbled the ball out of bounds of the TD and the Eagles got it back. Makes no sense to me.
If the ball went out of bounds OUTSIDE of the the marker, it would have been 1st & goal for the Vikings at the point where it exited. If you fumble the ball OVER or where it goes INSIDE the marker and then goes THROUGH the endzone it has left the field of play and is a touchback just like if it goes through the endzone on a kickoff. Now, if his fumble stayed in the endzone (without going through it) and a Viking recovered it, that would have been a touchdown for whoever jumped on it. Jefferson clearly did NOT have control of the ball when it crossed the goal line. If he DID have control, it would have been a touchdown for Jefferson.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:36 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,883,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It's the dumbest rule in football.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:14 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,004,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If the ball went out of bounds OUTSIDE of the the marker, it would have been 1st & goal for the Vikings at the point where it exited. If you fumble the ball OVER or where it goes INSIDE the marker and then goes THROUGH the endzone it has left the field of play and is a touchback just like if it goes through the endzone on a kickoff. Now, if his fumble stayed in the endzone (without going through it) and a Viking recovered it, that would have been a touchdown for whoever jumped on it. Jefferson clearly did NOT have control of the ball when it crossed the goal line. If he DID have control, it would have been a touchdown for Jefferson.
Well said. This is explained perfectly.... BUT I thought it if would have fumbled into the end zone and a teammate recovers, it would not be a TD. I think it is not possible for the fumbling team to advance the ball on a fumble. So, the Vikings in that case would get the ball at the spot of the fumble.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:57 AM

17,691 posts, read 15,415,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Well said. This is explained perfectly.... BUT I thought it if would have fumbled into the end zone and a teammate recovers, it would not be a TD. I think it is not possible for the fumbling team to advance the ball on a fumble. So, the Vikings in that case would get the ball at the spot of the fumble.

Only on 4th down or the last 2 minutes of a half can it not be advanced, other than if the fumbling player recovers.

That's the 'holy roller' rule, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 798,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Only on 4th down or the last 2 minutes of a half can it not be advanced, other than if the fumbling player recovers.

That's the 'holy roller' rule, if I'm not mistaken.
Was that Dave Casper and the Raiders vs San Diego?

Old 09-16-2023, 09:49 AM

17,691 posts, read 15,415,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Was that Dave Casper and the Raiders vs San Diego?

Before my time, but of course it was the Raiders.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:01 PM

45,746 posts, read 27,380,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
For tonight...

Vikings @ Eagles
Season 9-7

Week 2

Vikings @ Eagles

Packers @ Falcons
Raiders @ Bills
Ravens @ Bengals
Seahawks @ Lions
Chargers @ Titans
Bears @ Buccaneers
Chiefs @ Jaguars

Colts @ Texans - conditional pick - Texans QB - Stroud starts
Colts @ Texans - conditional pick - Texans QB - Mills starts

49ers @ Rams
Giants @ Cardinals
Jets @ Cowboys
Commanders @ Broncos

Dolphins @ Patriots

Saints @ Panthers
Browns @ Steelers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football