Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
While these may be the "right" moves, being quick-to-fire can create constant change/upheaval in your organization. Who wants to be or can succeed as a part of THAT org?

Of course. It's easy to slide right into an organization that wins all of the time. It seems to be the way it is nowadays. Lebron couldn't put the Cavs on his shoulders like Jordan did with the Bulls, so he had to go to Miami who had 2 other superstars already. Who wants a challenge anyway? Let's just have everything handed to us. Just think that if someone actually rises to the challenge and turns this thing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,488,370 times
Quote:
While these may be the "right" moves, being quick-to-fire can create constant change/upheaval in your organization. Who wants to be or can succeed as a part of THAT org?
Owners need to make a hire they can commit to, for the sake of team unity.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Personally I think it was a great move! Never understood the Lombardi hiring anyway! He sucked in his days here with Belichick too! I've also come to the conclusion that Joe Banner is just an egotistical jerk! In hindsight, there was a reason why Philly let him walk. I think Haslam is proving that he isn't playing around, and with these moves the Browns will be better off. Also heard a report on the radio that Brandon Weeden now wants out! Good. Don't let the door hit ya in the a** on the way out! Next stop for Brandon.... bagging groceries.

I about fell out of my chair when I heard the news of Banner and Lombardi's departure. Personally, I like it and I'm cautiously optomistic. I'm hoping and playing that the number one focus will now be winning and not who will get credit or making sure only to hire/sign players and coaches represented by Bob LaMonte or consolidating power or validating a "system"......

Lets hope that this is the last time in a long, long time we will have to replace a GM or Head Coach. So far, I have a favorable impression of both Farmer and Pettine. Pettine has made it clear that while he has his preferred schemes he believes in adapting to what his players are best at.

Too many times in the past we have had coaches that have steadfastly refused to play to the strengths of the players they had on hand. It drove me crazy. Shurmer was by far the biggest offender. My coaching experience is limited to youth football and even I learned early on that you call stuff your players can do well and don't call stuff that they aren't good at. The morons we've had here (again mainly Shurmur and Mangini) never seemed to grasp this as validating their wonderous "system" mattered more than winning. Who knows if Pettine will be a good Head Coach but the fact that he's at least stated he'll be flexible is a breath of fresh air.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Oh and if we trade up to draft Manziel I may jump into traffic.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I about fell out of my chair when I heard the news of Banner and Lombardi's departure. Personally, I like it and I'm cautiously optomistic. I'm hoping and playing that the number one focus will now be winning and not who will get credit or making sure only to hire/sign players and coaches represented by Bob LaMonte or consolidating power or validating a "system"......

Lets hope that this is the last time in a long, long time we will have to replace a GM or Head Coach. So far, I have a favorable impression of both Farmer and Pettine. Pettine has made it clear that while he has his preferred schemes he believes in adapting to what his players are best at.

Too many times in the past we have had coaches that have steadfastly refused to play to the strengths of the players they had on hand. It drove me crazy. Shurmer was by far the biggest offender. My coaching experience is limited to youth football and even I learen early on that you call stuff your players can do welland don't call stuff that they aren't good at. the morons we've had here (again mainly Shurmur and Mangini) never seemed to grasp this as validating their wonderous "system" mattered more than winning. Who knows if Pettine will be a good Head Coach but the fact that he's at least stated he'll be flexible is a breath of fresh air.
Can't really blame a coach who believes his system got him a job. Like Monte Kiffin. Or Rob Ryan. I think a coach hunt should be based on management decisions about the character that team is supposed to have. Get the best person who believes in that system. Don't hire a person for past achievements in a different style and then try to change him. That'd be like Google hiring a Windows guy to do Android. It would be a stroke of good luck if such a hire worked out. Maybe for a bottom level job, but not to make management decisions.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Can't really blame a coach who believes his system got him a job. Like Monte Kiffin. Or Rob Ryan. I think a coach hunt should be based on management decisions about the character that team is supposed to have. Get the best person who believes in that system. Don't hire a person for past achievements in a different style and then try to change him. That'd be like Google hiring a Windows guy to do Android. It would be a stroke of good luck if such a hire worked out. Maybe for a bottom level job, but not to make management decisions.

I think that while it is completely understandable to believe in your system and prefer to run it you still have a duty to try and suceed with what you have on hand. A great leader gets the best out of whoever he or she is in charge of leading by finding out the strengths and weaknesses of those they lead and playing to those strengths and hiding the weaknesses. Shurmur and Mangini just refused to adapt.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I think that while it is completely understandable to believe in your system and prefer to run it you still have a duty to try and suceed with what you have on hand. A great leader gets the best out of whoever he or she is in charge of leading by finding out the strengths and weaknesses of those they lead and playing to those strengths and hiding the weaknesses. Shurmur and Mangini just refused to adapt.
Endorse all you said. But NOT the coach's fault if it doesn't work out. If I need a job and take one that is offered, I'm not saying I'm the answer to YOUR problem, I'm saying the job is an answer to MY problem. I trust you to look out for yourself.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Endorse all you said. But NOT the coach's fault if it doesn't work out. If I need a job and take one that is offered, I'm not saying I'm the answer to YOUR problem, I'm saying the job is an answer to MY problem. I trust you to look out for yourself.

Understood.

I'm just thrilled that maybe, just maybe, the Browns are now focusing on what is most likely to win games and less on ego or discrediting the previous regime or making sure everyone is a client of Bob Lamonte.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Understood.

I'm just thrilled that maybe, just maybe, the Browns are now focusing on what is most likely to win games and less on ego or discrediting the previous regime or making sure everyone is a client of Bob Lamonte.
It is always a great day when the owner learns something.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,161,550 times
Quote:
That must make Pettine feel real warm and fuzzy.
So 2 weeks after I posted the above:

San Francisco 49ers quickly rejected Cleveland Browns' Jim Harbaugh talks, owner Jed York says - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football