Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM

796 posts, read 507,615 times

Advertisements

With the situation with David Irving....D line definitely needs to be looked at in draft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
With the situation with David Irving....D line definitely needs to be looked at in draft.

i say good riddance. the team, nor the league, doesnt need a bunch of pot heads playing the game.

the cowboys were going to have to concentrate on the offensive and defensive lines anyway.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM

45,808 posts, read 27,444,398 times
Beasley to the Bills. I'm glad he is out of the NFC East. He did a bunch of the dirty work between the has marks.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM

7,617 posts, read 6,129,143 times
I was fortunate to be able to get together with my friend from Texas, a life long Cowboy fan, going back to when we were kids and Tom Landry was the best dressed man in the game. There was a time we can both remember when people dressed up for work, and especially dressed up on Sundays

Landry and Johnson had a much stronger scouting system in place and could find the "diamond in the rough" players. That being said there are several out there and with the right coaching they will become the next Leon Lett or John Dutton

That being said, we talked about what the Cowboys need to win. The Owner has said that from a coaching standpoint, no one is guaranteed anything after the contracts run out. So how some of the team will work in another season is up in the air.
That being said, there are a few key concerns

1 The team needs Travis Frederick back. He is one of the best Centers in the game. Now The Disease (Guillen-Barre) he had is nasty. It attacks the nerves, and in many cases, a person cannot even have the strength to work the muscles in the chest to breath on their own. It is also not common. Professionally, I have only seen two cases of it, and both required time on a ventilator (Artificial respiration) While the disease has no cure, it is self limiting and does go away. But consider this. Frederick got it, got weak with numbness in his hands, and a few other symptoms. If any of US had gotten it, we'd be renting a room in ICU Guaranteed. that is because an NFL player has a degree of strength and endurance that is way beyond what the normal person has. He was able to keep walking and keep moving BECAUSE he has an athletes conditioning and strength.
SO can he return? Form a disease stand point probably, but he will have to get his strength back up to where he was. That will be more of a challenge. I hope he does. I would love to see him beat the disease and I think he will.

2 The team should not rely on Hurns return. I could not watch that injury. He wants to return to the NFL with a rod in his leg? I wish that could happen, but barring a miracle, I am not realistic about it. Ordinary people have a problem walking at all after that surgery. BUT again, NFL athletes are not ordinary people. I hope he does return, BUT I doubt he will be 100%. The team needs a good number 2 receiver. Gallup has been less than glamorous and Austin needs to be let go.

Every Cowboy team that won a Super Bowl had a dual threat at WR.

3 Keep the DL strong. Irving being cut for drug violation was the right thing to do. (What's the deal with Cowboys named Irving and drugs?) Taco Charlton needs to step up, in the words of coach Gruden. What will help is the addition of Covington who has the skill set and the speed to work into the defensive system. Demarcus remains the premier player on the D Line.
4 TightEnd Yes, Jason Witten is returning, but a year older and after a season off. I suggest that a Tight End with the 2nd round pick would be the best choice. Here is why: Dak can operate a 2 Tight End set with Witten to make up for the lack of depth at receiver. This will spread defenses, open a running game for Zeke, and boost the Cowboys UP a notch or two in the game, which may make a difference in the playoffs. My friend says no, they need to upgrade on safety and defense first.

5 Safety The team lost too many yards and points on long over the middle passes. Teams figured out by late season that the safety is the weak link. There is no star power at this position. There needs to be.

We think that the Cowboys are close to getting playoff winning team. Part of it comes down to how well the players are coached, how well the plays are designed, how the coach in the booth spots the right things at the right time. That is a coin flip because the new Coordinator on offense is unknown at this point with this team.
We split on who the competition is. I suggest that the redskins have been silently rebuilding, and may make a run for first, he thinks the Eagles are still the biggest threat. It will be a very interesting season.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,681,539 times
Cowboys sign Randall Cobb for a one year, 5 mil deal from the Packers. I'm always wanting to keep everyone, sorry to see him go. Fans will talk about his injuries but when healthy the guy can play, he's going to be 29 in August. Total class act, team player, an all in guy, supporting all his team mates. I wish him luck.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM

7,617 posts, read 6,129,143 times
As I pointed out the Cowboys have never won a super bowl without a two WR threat. (Pearson/Hill) (Irvin/Hill) (Hayes/Rentzel)
So the WR position looks good, because I do not expect Hurns to be 100% after that injury. No one can.

SO who exactly are the Diamonds in the rough that would fit in the Cowboys scheme. And do NOT ever let the media rank the picks. Some guy in New England ignores the press and wins more super bowls than anyone. There should be a lesson there.
I am talking about picks rounds 4 5 and 6 here
Well, straight from the man who said that Dak Prescott would be a great addition to the Cowboys:

I would look seriously at Dax Rayond out of Utah State He may be available in the 3rd round. I'd grab him in the 4th if he is still there.
I like
Humphrey and Jalen Hurd out of Texas and Baylor respectively. they can fit in as a dangerous 3 or 4 and be difficult for a CB# or 4 to cover.

I like Daylon Mack out of Texas A&M (I hate the Aggies BTW) He has size and with the right coaching, will continue to develop into a shut down Lineman The Cowboys need some help at DL and this beast can step in and make an impact. I would take him in the 5th round if available A week with Marinelli will fix any deficits he has.

There are two fourth round picks I think that if Steinberger is not available in the 2nd round at Tight End then Safety must be taken , or Offensive line, The new Offensive coordinator needs to run a two tight end set with Witten but do not rely on Witten to be a late season given. He has been out fora year. Draft some talent and let him work with them.

A big part of a successful drat is finding players with the skill set, that are teachable, (coachable) and have the availability late in the draft to help out the team late in the season. These are the players that no one else draft that CAN make an Impact WITH the RIGHT GUIDANCE !!!

I am surrounded by Cowboys fans am intrigued and curious to follow them into the season. Also the Browns

Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Cowboys sign Randall Cobb for a one year, 5 mil deal from the Packers. I'm always wanting to keep everyone, sorry to see him go. Fans will talk about his injuries but when healthy the guy can play, he's going to be 29 in August. Total class act, team player, an all in guy, supporting all his team mates. I wish him luck.

with cobb, cooper and austin in the mix, i think the receiver position is set.

as for hurns injury, yes it was bad, but it has since been repaired and he is back to work getting into game shape. odell beckham had a similar injury in 2017 and came back with a 1000 yard season. but with the cowboys loaded at wide receiver now, hurns will have the time he needs to get into game shape and prove himself.

and susan, i agree with you that cobb is a class act, and one heck of a receiver, he will definitely be an asset for the cowboys.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,657,705 times
Need help most at DL (DE and DT). Christian Covington seems a good role player, has some bulk for inside play (6'2", 310lbs) and will do well under Marinelli's guidance as will Kerry Hyder, another role player at RDE but can flex into the middle. Robert Quinn is another potential to play opposite DLaw.

They're bringing in some talent at safety to look at. I'm satisfied their trying to carefully find a good SS.

Draft probably won't be about looking for starters but role players and backup players and special teamers........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..............

Old 03-20-2019, 09:50 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,539,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
with cobb, cooper and austin in the mix, i think the receiver position is set.

as for hurns injury, yes it was bad, but it has since been repaired and he is back to work getting into game shape. odell beckham had a similar injury in 2017 and came back with a 1000 yard season. but with the cowboys loaded at wide receiver now, hurns will have the time he needs to get into game shape and prove himself.

and susan, i agree with you that cobb is a class act, and one heck of a receiver, he will definitely be an asset for the cowboys.

Add in Cedrick Wilson who was tearing it up at practice before his injury last year, and I do think they're set if Cedrick is fully healed.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Add in Cedrick Wilson who was tearing it up at practice before his injury last year, and I do think they're set if Cedrick is fully healed.

and dont forget cole beasley, and jason witten coming back, though witten needs to get into game shape. i do believe the receiver corps is set for the cowboys. lets hope they open up their offense this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football