Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 04:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 5,686,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as far as i am concerned a win is a win, i dont care how ugly or by how much.
Agree, 99% of the time I am all for a win no matter how you get it.. but the final (meaningless) game of the season is unique. I want them to win but more than that, i want them to play well.. .which they didn't.. at least on offense.. ugh...

9-7 certainly looks better than 8-8 (I am sick of 8-8) and I wont worry too much about the draft position unless the Cowboys trade away a pick to move up 3 or 4 spots in the 1st round of the draft.. that will be aggravating.. What i will worry about is Dak.. he didn't play well this season after Zeke was gone.. and that seemed to linger once Zeke got back..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 AM

So Garrett survived Black Monday, which we all knew he would. There were moments this year including this past Sunday were i felt it was time for him to go. I wouldn't mind seeing him leave but i worry who would be next. The Cowboys are not likely to lure a great coach like they did with Parcells a few years back. From now until Jerry is gone, the Cowboys will be led by Garrett or some other brand new head coach trying to earn his wings...

That doesn't mean they can't win, but it does likely mean they cannot win consistently.. which they haven't since mid 90s..

So, the Cowboys should be a playoff team next year.. that or a dumpster fire in which Garrett gets fired mid way through the season.. either way, things are looking up!

BTW, Garrett is the 2nd winning and tenured coach in Cowboys history behind only Tom Landry.. congrats RED, i think!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM

796 posts, read 507,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Agree, 99% of the time I am all for a win no matter how you get it.. but the final (meaningless) game of the season is unique. I want them to win but more than that, i want them to play well.. .which they didn't.. at least on offense.. ugh...

9-7 certainly looks better than 8-8 (I am sick of 8-8) and I wont worry too much about the draft position unless the Cowboys trade away a pick to move up 3 or 4 spots in the 1st round of the draft.. that will be aggravating.. What i will worry about is Dak.. he didn't play well this season after Zeke was gone.. and that seemed to linger once Zeke got back..
I'm really worried about Dak. Granted it isn't just Zeke....cuz 4 games were lost with Zeke including 2 close conference games that came back to bite Boys. Ever since the Falcons game....seemed like Dak just didn't play well (with exception of Giants game) and those hits from Adrian Clayborn may have gotten to him. His accuracy really declined this season. And seems like entire offense declined....o line play, receivers, Zeke, etc. Something needs to be done to improve next year. May need to bring in competition to push Dak as well.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,665,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I'm really worried about Dak. Granted it isn't just Zeke....cuz 4 games were lost with Zeke including 2 close conference games that came back to bite Boys. Ever since the Falcons game....seemed like Dak just didn't play well (with exception of Giants game) and those hits from Adrian Clayborn may have gotten to him. His accuracy really declined this season. And seems like entire offense declined....o line play, receivers, Zeke, etc. Something needs to be done to improve next year. May need to bring in competition to push Dak as well.
I agree that the offense took a big dip this year with much blame to go around. Dez clearly is on the downside of his career and the O line was iffy at best. Zeke killed any hope they had at making the playoffs with his suspension but I think Dak was the biggest disappointment. His accuracy was off and at times it looked like he couldn't spot open receivers the few times they were able to create separation. I was hoping that the last game of the year we'd get to see Cooper Rush because I don't think Dak is the answer. There's no chance Jerry Jones will look at another QB, he's too stubborn to admit that Dak might not be the one.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
i am not concerned about prescott. he has shown what he is capable of in his first season, and everyone made him out to be the boy wonder. with his second season he became a target, like all boy wonder quarterbacks do, thus the usual sophomore slump.

this season teams had real time game film on prescott, so they could analyze what he does and how he reacts in various situations, and they could adjust for him.

the 2018 season will be telling. will prescott rebound, or will he fade into obscurity? i think he will rebound, and slowly get back to where he was in his first season, might take a couple of seasons to do that though.

as for dez bryant, perhaps it is time to let him fade into history, but get something for him, like a couple of draft picks, or a couple of talented rookie receivers.

i think once all the bull crap from this season is put behind the team though, i think the cowboys rebound for 2018.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM

I read an article yesterday about Dez..
In his last 3 seasons he has a total of 17 TDs..
The year prior (2014) he had 88 catches for 1320 yards and 16 TDs.
THe one difference between the previous 3 seasons and 2014.. Tony Romo.

Because of that, I am ready to ride Dez for at least one more year to see if its just the offensive direction (run first) or production from Dak. HOw many times this year did we sit and watch Dak ignore Dez for most of the game.. not throwing the ball further than 25 yards down field more than once a game... It was infuriating to watch him dink and dunk the ball.. Obviously Dez was probably covered but run a damn go route and throw it up to him and let him make a play.. he can still that but only if you give him a chance!

That being said, i do think they need to look seriously at a top notch #1 WR in the draft.. someone to eventually replace Dez.. if not in 2018, then 2019 or beyond...

Old 01-03-2018, 02:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
i agree with what you said about dez, he is still a top receiver, his stats dont show it though. but i also think they are using dez these days in the wrong manner, as a deep threat. i think bryce would be better at that, or williams. run dez on more crossing routes and slant patterns, and get him in the game more regularly instead. let him catch the ball and get yards after the catch.

i think with the combination of bryant, beasly, and witten catching passes in 10-25 yard range, and looking for yards after the catch, and concentrating on ball control instead of the big play will serve the cowboys offense, AND defense well. keep the defense off the field, and let the offense get the job done, and stop trying to win games on the first offensive series.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 AM

45,808 posts, read 27,444,398 times
Figure you guys would get a kick out of this...

Cowboys fan's obituary says he died so he wouldn't have to watch the Super Bowl

Robert Clyde Drew passed away at the end of January, and everyone is still talking about his obituary.

Robert Clyde Drew, beloved husband, father, and Papa, drew his last breath January 25, 2018, mainly, we suspect, to prevent himself from having to watch the Patriots and Eagles in the Superbowl. A loyal Cowboys fan, he died peacefully with his daughter by his side, knowing full well that Dez, did, in fact, catch the ball.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

7,617 posts, read 6,129,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am not concerned about prescott. he has shown what he is capable of in his first season, and everyone made him out to be the boy wonder. with his second season he became a target, like all boy wonder quarterbacks do, thus the usual sophomore slump.
I agree with most of what you said.

Now as you know, I am not a Cowboy fan. I grew up in Texas hating the SOBs
BUT my best friend growing up and I still keep in touch, and he loves "His Boys" and is a die-hard Cowboy fan to the very end. So I follow them kind of surreptitiously to keep up with what is going on so that I can contribute positively to our conversations.

It was me, long before the draft, that told him that there was a kid in Mississippi named Dak Prescott who may be the right fit. In college he had the right skill set to fit into the Cowboys style of Offense.

I stand by that. Dak Prescott did have a sophomore slump because the other teams figured out how to defend against him and stop him. But as he gains more pro experience, he will become a more muti-dimensional player.
He did suffer a key loss or two on the OLINE.
I had an idea about who the Cowboys should have picked in the first round, and it was not taco-Tico but I did not tell Jerry

Which brings us to the real problem. If Dak was predicted and second guessed by the other teams, then coaching needs to be more involved. Granted, they still had a winning record, which I had picked 8-8, but still I place the offensive blame not on Dak but on the Sidelines.

Now this year, they need to make absolutely sure they re-sign Zack Martin, because the Offensive line was to blame for many of the muffed plays last year. And the depth that once existed is gone. SO regardless of how great Dak is, and I think he has greatness, he best have a Line to help him

As for Dez, the prima donna attitude is not acceptable but I place the blame more on the coaches and the Ownership than the players. When you hire people of questionable character over the years it grates on the moral of other players and coaches as well.
Instead of being stone faced like Belicheck and saying "My way or the highway" The coaches of the Cowboys let a lot slide on behalf of the Owner, who controls the locker room anyway.
SO as long as that type of mentality exists within the organization, then someone somewhere will have a bad attitude and it will infect others. And the list goes on and on of who those somebodies have been over the years.

There are a few ways to deal with this. My favorite is tell them to shape up or ship out. I see no evidence of this happening.
If someone does not like the playcalling, the number of balls thrown their way, if someone wants to skip or be late for practice, not give 100%, then take them to the open door and tell them to make a choice...either stay in, shut up and do their job, or leave. Plain and simple.
I do not think Jason Garrett has the testicular fortitude OR the PERMISSION of the owner to do that.

And until the locker room dynamics change, never mind how great Dak is, because someone else will always be ruining it for the team.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

20,534 posts, read 33,662,562 times
If the last three weeks if not this current week doesn't show people that Dallas needs a real GM, I don't know what will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football