Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
If that game is played in the dome in NO or a neutral field, I bet its a much closer game. But with Seattle most likely to get the #1 seed, I can see them easily winning out at home and skipping into the superbowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't. Only for the fact that recent history has shown that strong favorites in the NFL Playoffs have lost....

All you have to do is look at Baltimore's play at the Patriots a couple years ago, and last year against the Broncos....same deal. Everyone was gaga over the home team, and look what happened..

Its no different this year with Seattle.

Lets not get extremely giddy yet and understand history......you have to play the game.
Exactly... how have the #1 seeds done in recent years?

2012 Atlanta (lost NFC championship)
2012 Denver (lost divisional)
2011 Green Bay (lost divisional)
2011 New England (lost Super Bowl)
2010 Atlanta (lost divisional)
2010 New England (lost divisional)
2009 New Orleans (won Super Bowl)
2009 Indianapolis (lost Super Bowl)
2008 Tennessee (lost divisional)
2008 NY Giants (lost divisional)
2007 Dallas (lost divisional)
2007 New England (lost Super Bowl)
2006 San Diego (lost divisional)
2006 Chicago (lost Super Bowl)
2005 Indianapolis (lost divisional)
2005 Seattle (lost Super Bowl)
2004 Pittsburgh (lost AFC championship)
2004 Philadelphia (lost Super Bowl)
2003 New England (won Super Bowl)
2003 Philadelphia (lost NFC championship)

Hmmmm.... so that's 2 of 20 #1 seeds that actually won the Super Bowl... 6 lost the Super Bowl... 3 lost their conference championship and 9 LOST IN THE FIRST ROUND.

I'm seeing a lot of "we are the best team in the NFL, we will go to the Super Bowl and we will win it!" on local blogs and facebook posts from confident Seattle fans...

Nothing wrong with it... just beware of history.

Can this Seattle team win the Super Bowl? Sure... As long as they don't choke in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
The last 3 Super Bowls were won by teams that were 10-6 or 9-7, not the teams with great regular season records!
2 of the last 20 #1 seeds won the Super Bowl. Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I just don't believe the Seahawks can do it. I want to believe that this is the team to beat, but Pete Carroll is going to let the moment get away from these guys.

I won't be surprised if the Hawks thump the 49ers again - they probably will this weekend. But the Hawks remind me of the 1998 Vikings. Everyone's so ready to anoint them, and yet, they've got some character issues deep down underneath the surface that are going to rear their ugly heads at just the worst time. I don't know who it will be to stun the Seahawks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers do it - in Seattle come NFC Championship time.
Yeah I remember 1998... nobody outside of Atlanta though the 14-2 Falcons could go up to Minnesota and knock off the 15-1 Vikings.

"Gary Anderson lines up for the kick... he hasn't missed all season."

We know how that turned out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Yea, and then Atlanta got man handled in the Super Bowl by #1 seed, Denver.

#1 seeds may not mean much, but being on a roll does... Lets see who has the momentum when the playoffs begin. If the Seahawks are still playing like they did on Monday, i like their chances of reaching the Super Bowl... #1 seed or not..

Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Being that the SB is in the northeast and outside - and the top AFC teams are all outdoor teams, I'm not betting on Seattle to win it all. I know Seattle is an outdoor team also - but they are different away from home.

I just realized that most AFC teams are outdoor teams - except Indy, and Houston part time.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM

6,246 posts, read 3,415,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Being that the SB is in the northeast and outside - and the top AFC teams are all outdoor teams, I'm not betting on Seattle to win it all. I know Seattle is an outdoor team also - but they are different away from home.

I just realized that most AFC teams are outdoor teams - except Indy, and Houston part time.
Right they are different playing on the road, they lost one game this year. Boy, some people just aren't ever satisfied.

I will take Seattle 5-1 road record over the Saints 3-3 any day or even Denver's 4-2.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times

Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
LOL @ that gif. Awesome.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

OMG the Seahawks can't lose at home!!!! Yeah right... any of the potential playoff teams could come in here and put a beatdown on the Seahawks... especially if they open with the craptastic first half of football that they've done multiple times already.

Any given Sunday!!.
Funny. What teams could come into the Clink and win? Dallas? Philly? Detroit? Nawleans got merked back on Monday. 49ers? Perhaps. I will say that Carolina could be the team that gets it done.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
Funny. What teams could come into the Clink and win? Dallas? Philly? Detroit? Nawleans got merked back on Monday. 49ers? Perhaps. I will say that Carolina could be the team that gets it done.
49ers and Panthers are the obvious choices. They both match up quite well with Seattle.

None of it matters really... but to say the Seahawks are unbeatable at Clink is a bit of a stretch. If it had been anyone other than Tennessee and Tampa Bay they'd have already lost at home this year.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
49ers and Panthers are the obvious choices. They both match up quite well with Seattle.

None of it matters really... but to say the Seahawks are unbeatable at Clink is a bit of a stretch. If it had been anyone other than Tennessee and Tampa Bay they'd have already lost at home this year.
Maybe. To me, it looked like Seattle wasn't taking Tampa seriously, and almost payed for it. Any other team and I don't think that happens.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
Maybe. To me, it looked like Seattle wasn't taking Tampa seriously, and almost payed for it. Any other team and I don't think that happens.
I'm watching Seahawks Gameday and I agree with what they are saying...

"The only team that can beat the Seattle Seahawks are the Seattle Seahawks."

The most penalized team in the NFL (along with Tampa)...

Saw these too... LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football