Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,263,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
So was this a tank move?

On the one hand Matthews has been healthy and productive. On the other hand that production is only 11.0 ypc which pales to the kind of production Watkins can put up when he is healthy, 15-17ypc.

It's going to be an interesting season.
I think your front office is making great moves for the future...

The Bills have what 6 picks now in the first 3 rounds next season???

Realistically was going to be tough for the Bills to compete this season but if the front office can transform those picks into a youthful talent infusion a la Cleveland, Buffalo could be sitting pretty in a couple of seasons right about when Brady retires/moves on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,891,509 times
Quote:
So was this a tank move?

On the one hand Matthews has been healthy and productive. On the other hand that production is only 11.0 ypc which pales to the kind of production Watkins can put up when he is healthy, 15-17ypc.

It's going to be an interesting season.
Don't think it was a tank job. 5 more yards per catch doesn't do Tyrod much good if it is on the bench for a few games each year. But Matthews and Boldin should give Tyrod more reliable targets.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,646,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Using two first round draft picks on Watkins was such a waste of time, and I hope this organization learns their lesson and never does something so foolish again. No QB was ever able to get him the ball consistently, and he was never able to consistently start and avoid injury. Time for this organization to commit to a drafting strategy and stick to it for a few years. Putting so much hope that one player will be a game changer is a strategy that will never work.
Two counter argument here.

1. Just because a bad move value wise was made in the past doesn't mean we should be trying to get rid of Watkins. Watkins should be evaluated purely on his ability and availability and not on what it originally cost to draft him. That is in the past and can never be changed.

2. Julio Jones is a probable future HOFer right? Falcons gave up just as much to draft him and his production and injury history in those first three seasons were very close to Watkins. So I wouldn't say it is always a foolish thing to do. It can work.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I loved the trades. If Sammy was healthy for the season he would want a mega contract and with his injury history that might not be the best for the team. They have set Tyrod up to fail with no decent receivers to chuck it to. I have respect for the coach and GM and if they think Darby wasn't the answer I believe them. We are setting things up for the long term and I believe its the right move.
Darby may have easily just been a casualty of circumstance. I think Brandon Beane knew he needed to net at least a capable starting WR if he were to trade Watkins. Could you imagine going into this season with only 36 year old Boldin, rookie Zay Jones and a couple cast offs from other teams? Could easily be our worse receiving core in years. Bringing in Matthews gives us much needed experience and production even if it is only modest production. Philly was in desperate need of CB help and no way we were giving up our 1st round pick White so Darby was the only other logical piece that could be moved.

I agree somewhat about Taylor being set up to fail. It's not going to be as easy to put up big numbers without Watkins. Still, Taylor if he wants to be our franchise QB, he has pieces here he can get the ball to and if he is efficient and stays healthy then who knows maybe he sticks around. But it is increasingly feeling like we are drafting a top QB in 2018. My fear though is it seems like there are 3-5 other teams that want to do the same thing next draft and it's possible that all might pick before us unless we do a true tank job.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think your front office is making great moves for the future...

The Bills have what 6 picks now in the first 3 rounds next season???

Realistically was going to be tough for the Bills to compete this season but if the front office can transform those picks into a youthful talent infusion a la Cleveland, Buffalo could be sitting pretty in a couple of seasons right about when Brady retires/moves on
I agree. We are obviously making moves for the future. Personally I think stock piling picks is sometimes over rated. I hope it works out for us but the bottom line is this is a QB driven league. You can have all the picks in the world but if you don't have a top 10 or top 12 QB forget about it. Cleveland still has to prove what they are doing is going to work. Same for my Bills now. I know New England is pretty famous for stock piling picks. But if we are being realistic, have they succeeded because they stock piled picks or because they have Brady?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Don't think it was a tank job. 5 more yards per catch doesn't do Tyrod much good if it is on the bench for a few games each year. But Matthews and Boldin should give Tyrod more reliable targets.
I agree we may get more consistent production. But I think in evaluating Watkins and the position you have to just assume he is going to be healthy. Again, remember Julio Jones? 5 more yards per catch through a whole season does make a huge difference.

The Rams I guess made this move primarily to see what they have in Goff. They are hoping to give Goff a legitimate #1 WR that if he stays healthy they can accurately grade Goff and determine whether or not to cut bait from him or not after this season. There is a real possibility Watkins could have Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen throwing him the ball in 2018.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 PM

6,462 posts, read 5,009,262 times
Cordy Glenn has injury issues and we shrewdly signed him to a contract for 36 million guaranteed. Looks like chronic left ankle issues.

McDermott says Bills 'still concerned' that Glenn isn't practicing - The Buffalo News

Cordy Glenn Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Recent news on Cordy Glenn - Buffalo Bills - Rotoworld.com

Old 08-13-2017, 05:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,263,228 times
Quote:
I agree. We are obviously making moves for the future. Personally I think stock piling picks is sometimes over rated. I hope it works out for us but the bottom line is this is a QB driven league. You can have all the picks in the world but if you don't have a top 10 or top 12 QB forget about it. Cleveland still has to prove what they are doing is going to work. Same for my Bills now. I know New England is pretty famous for stock piling picks. But if we are being realistic, have they succeeded because they stock piled picks or because they have Brady?

It seems the current regime has made their mind up on Tyrod...

With the number of Day 1 and 2 picks and lets face it an uphill battle to reach .500 this season the Bills have put themselves in the running for Rosen or Darnold next draft. That has to be what the front office has in mind for you guys...

Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM

Which is confusing because if that is the case why presumably start Tyrod all season and win 2 or 3 more games that you would have loss with Yates or Peterman starting. If we are for sure done with Taylor then it makes no sense to play him and risk losing out on a top QB in next year's draft.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 PM

6,462 posts, read 5,009,262 times
Quote:
Which is confusing because if that is the case why presumably start Tyrod all season and win 2 or 3 more games that you would have loss with Yates or Peterman starting. If we are for sure done with Taylor then it makes no sense to play him and risk losing out on a top QB in next year's draft.
If they don't play him they will lose the support of the veterans. They don't want to look like they are tanking. They at least have to give Tyrod a chance plus it will sell more tickets and keep the fan base happy after 17 years without the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football