Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times

Advertisements

Newly acquired WR Jordan Matthews has a week to week injury. You can't make this stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 PM

Second pre-season game in the books.

Zay Jones- Looked good.
Taylor- Looked Awful
Peterman- Looked okay. A few really impressive throws and a few that seemed to get away.
Boldin- Man is he looking really slow out there.
RB's- They all looked great as usual.

Didn't really focus much on the defense but the first unit looked alright. Darby made a couple impressive plays against us though.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:47 PM

It just keeps getting better at One Bills Drive. Now Boldin is retiring. Can't say that we will really miss much if all he had to offer was what we saw in pre-season. Man was he slow. Good thing Zay Jones made some really nice plays in the last game. We are going to need a lot of those from him this season.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,615,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
It just keeps getting better at One Bills Drive. Now Boldin is retiring. Can't say that we will really miss much if all he had to offer was what we saw in pre-season. Man was he slow. Good thing Zay Jones made some really nice plays in the last game. We are going to need a lot of those from him this season.
That surprised me about Boldin, but I'm guessing that 14 years was enough for him after all. Plus he realized how much faster and stronger the new guys are. I expected more from him.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
That surprised me about Boldin, but I'm guessing that 14 years was enough for him after all. Plus he realized how much faster and stronger the new guys are. I expected more from him.
I suspect after the Sammy and Darby trades he figured this team was going nowhere and decided to call it a career before he got any concussions. I think he could have helped the younger guys in the locker room and on the field.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:41 PM

My thoughts through the firs three pre-season games:

1. You can tell this West Coast offensive system we are now running is drastically different then the system we ran he two years prior under Roman and Lynn. I have mixed feeling on the change. Our offense the last two seasons was pretty darn good. It was prone it seemed to too many three and outs. But it was an explosive big play offense and Taylor for the most part played well in it. And our running game was very dominant in the system. A change could mean the offense takes a step back. Initial pre-season observations are that Taylor is certainly struggling in this new system.

2. But I do see positives with this system. I am seeing the tight ends Clay and even O'Leary catch the ball in space. Clay could possibly be the biggest benefactor with this new system. I'm seeing for the first time what looks like real NFL throws being made. Passes that we as Bills fans are accustomed to seeing other teams make against us and wonder aloud why we can't call the same plays. The down side of course is that there will be growing pains because I'm not sure either Taylor or Peterman are fully ready to execute this system as it should be.

3. I like what I am seeing from Zay Jones. I have high hopes for him this season right out of the gate.

4. I am very skeptical about our defense sill. I think they may struggle.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 AM

6,433 posts, read 4,926,582 times
This team is a dumpster fire. We gave huge contracts with large guarantees to 2 of our "best players". One has off field and injury issues and the other has a chronic foot/ankle problems. We can cannot begin to execute anything resembling a turnaround for years until these onerous contracts are off the books. The previous regime made a total mess of things and it will be years before we see meaningful progress. Tyrod is injured (again) which is not surprising since that is what happens to mobile smallish QB's. The OL is a disaster. We finally have a decent coach/GM (I hope and pray) in place but the mess they inherited will take a long time to fix.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
This team is a dumpster fire. We gave huge contracts with large guarantees to 2 of our "best players". One has off field and injury issues and the other has a chronic foot/ankle problems. We can cannot begin to execute anything resembling a turnaround for years until these onerous contracts are off the books. The previous regime made a total mess of things and it will be years before we see meaningful progress. Tyrod is injured (again) which is not surprising since that is what happens to mobile smallish QB's. The OL is a disaster. We finally have a decent coach/GM (I hope and pray) in place but the mess they inherited will take a long time to fix.
It will, and the problem is this fanbase and local media are so impatient and will throw a fit when it's not fixed by game 1 of this season.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I don't know why you say we have a decent coach/GM. What have they proven? Why are they better than the numerous coach/GM combos to come before them? Until we actually see some results I can't grade this duo positively or negatively.

Glenn started all 16 games every season from 2013 to 2015. I don't think there was any indication at the time we extended his contract that he would end up with a foot injury. We will see how this season goes and his availability but I can't fault signing Glenn to a big extension. The last time we decided to not invest long-term into the LT position it backfired big time as we ended up trading away a potential future HOFer. We had no choice but to keep Glenn.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It will, and the problem is this fanbase and local media are so impatient and will throw a fit when it's not fixed by game 1 of this season.
The o-line and the running game the last two seasons has been a strength of this team. Perhaps some of our key pieces are getting older and their game is declining (Wood and Incgonito). But also keep in mind, maybe the new coaches are not getting the most out of the players?

Of course it is still pre-season so we will see how things go in the regular season but it wouldl be a shame to see the running game take a big step back in this new system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football