Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

The Buffalos Bills have hired Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott to be their 20th head coach.

A year removed from Super Bowl L, McDermott comes to Buffalo after coordinating a "no defense" defense, the worst in the National Football League. I hope he does not bring the shenanigans Rob Ryan did.

Further reading
Brown, Chris. "5 things to know about Sean McDermott." Buffalo Bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
I am glad it's not a big name or retread coach.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 PM

McDermott is not a big name coach. He established himself as a retread coordinator for a "no defense" defense. McDermott better not come to the Bills saying "Hi! I took the Carolina Panther's defense to a no defense. I want to try the no defense again with the Bills."

Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Lets face it, none of the top names would want to come to Buffalo so we take the best we can get.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM

I would like to slightly agree with you on that generalization on Buffalo's major league sports teams. The National Hockey League's Sabres had difficulty attracting quality free agents and participating in trades for many years. The problem was former general manager Darcy Regier running a rinky-dink operation.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Buffalos Bills have hired Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott to be their 20th head coach.

A year removed from Super Bowl L, McDermott comes to Buffalo after coordinating a "no defense" defense, the worst in the National Football League. I hope he does not bring the shenanigans Rob Ryan did.

Further reading
Brown, Chris. "5 things to know about Sean McDermott." Buffalo Bills.
From a Panthers fan, I promise you that McDermott will not pull the same crap Rex did for attention. Carolina was 21st in total defense, including 29th in passing D which I think is a function of having 2 rookies starting at CB. Buffalo's secondary is far more talented than Carolina's so I think he will have better results in Buffalo.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Lets face it, none of the top names would want to come to Buffalo so we take the best we can get.
Who were the top names?

From what I can tell every coach that had been hired is a new guy and none of them were big names. The hottest job was supposed to be Denver and they take Vance Joseph from Miami. Didn't even know the name of the Dolphins D coordinator, I only knew that they had a bad defense similar to the Bills giving up tons of yards on the ground.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
From a Panthers fan, I promise you that McDermott will not pull the same crap Rex did for attention. Carolina was 21st in total defense, including 29th in passing D which I think is a function of having 2 rookies starting at CB. Buffalo's secondary is far more talented than Carolina's so I think he will have better results in Buffalo.
Our secondary has it's own issues. We have to find a new quality starting safety to fill the likely soon to be retiring due to injury, Aaron Williams spot. Our best cover conner is an unrestricted free agent and wants to get paid. Our other CBs are young and unproven or took a big step back this last year (Darby). Bills defense also didn't face very many prolific passing attacks. Again, Carolina played the top three passing offenses of 2016 a total of five times, NO and ATL twice each and Wash once. Bills played the top three passing teams zero times. They played the fourth highest passing team New England only once because the first meeting they played an injured rookie QB.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
So Buffalo thought McDermott is better than Lynn? Tell me more, SD hired him as head coach.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 PM

I would have liked to see Lynn remain as OC just for continuity on offense but I didn't think he would be a good head coach for this team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football