Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, I respect the Packers. The only problem the franchise has is their obese hideous owner.
Hey now, I've been losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Ahhhh, those generalizations about Wisconsin! Better a group of owners (heavy or not) than one billionaire, just my thought.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Ahhhh, those generalizations about Wisconsin! Better a group of owners (heavy or not) than one billionaire, just my thought.
The guy came into a Bears thread and talked a little smack so a little smack went back.

Thankfully people from Wisconsin don't generalize about FIBs lol.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I have no idea what that list shows about recent chicago sports success. The Bulls have been the only consistent winner in the last 50 years. (and that was for an 8 year period, they, as you know, had never won a title before, or after).

I guess if the Bears NFL titles before the superbowl, or the Chicago Cardinals historic victories make the chicago sports pie taste sweeter to you, more power to ya.
Whoa whoa whoa....now it's about RECENT sports success after I produced the list? When I initially commented about the last 25 years or so (my more or less adult life) and the 9 championships in that time and one in every major sport....I was met with lots of references back to the hoover administration.

Look at WI\Milwaukee the last 3 decades....zippo except for the Packers.
Detroit? Pretty good except for the Lions.
Miami? 1 basketball is the only thing that comes to mind. 40years since Dolphins won a SB.

Of course they have the Yankees and Mets.
Knicks 70' and 73'....thats a long long drought.
Giants and Jets? Giants have 3, Jets 1 back during Vietnam.
Rangers won 1 about 20years ago.

Basically, Chicago has done repectably well.

Name another city\region that has won a championship in all the major sports since 1985. Maybe Boston? I don't follow Hockey but I suspect they have.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe Boston? I don't follow Hockey but I suspect they have.
The Bruins won their first Stanley Cup since 1972 just this past season.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,493,363 times
Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa....now it's about RECENT sports success after I produced the list? When I initially commented about the last 25 years or so (my more or less adult life) and the 9 championships in that time and one in every major sport....I was met with lots of references back to the hoover administration.
I believe I was the one who brought the initial point up about Chicago sports fans being pessimistic. When I have more time, I'll break down the success to failure (as defined by not winning a title) ratio of Chicago teams (# of pro teams X # of seasons/# of titles) and I'll do that for some other random cities and we will see how it fares.

Baseball alone in this city makes chicago rather elite at not producing titles. Throw in the Hawks drought (until last year), and the current bears drought and that will make Chicago look a lot less of a town rich in winning tradition.

Not to mention I live here, and have my whole life and I have a pretty good idea of how people view our chances. Maybe you weren't but the majority people were assuming the bears were going to get murdered by the falcons sunday, based of my sample of talk radio, people I know that live here, and crowds in chicago bars. The whole Ditka vs a Hurricane is funny, but not really indicitive of your every day Chicago fan.

Last edited by Orangeish; 09-15-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I believe I was the one who brought the initial point up about Chicago sports fans being pessimistic. When I have more time, I'll break down the success to failure (as defined by not winning a title) ratio of Chicago teams (# of pro teams X # of seasons/# of titles) and I'll do that for some other random cities and we will see how it fares.

Baseball alone in this city makes chicago rather elite at not producing titles. Throw in the Hawks drought (until last year), and the current bears drought and that will make Chicago look a lot less of a town rich in winning tradition.

Not to mention I live here, and have my whole life and I have a pretty good idea of how people view our chances. Maybe you weren't but the majority people were assuming the bears were going to get murdered by the falcons sunday, based of my sample of talk radio, people I know that live here, and crowds in chicago bars. The whole Ditka vs a Hurricane is funny, but not really indicitive of your every day Chicago fan.
I completely agree with you about the pessimism angle, I'm just saying that I think it's undeserved or unrealistic. (although since Im not a cubs fan that certainly helps lol).

I just look around and with 25-30 teams in a sport, and ESPECIALLY with how broken baseball is I don't find the Chicago sports scene to be that bad and gave some examples of so other towns that really aren't much better off like NY is a bit better perhaps but have the Knicks and Miami is way worse off. Greenbay in particular is in much worse shape if you consider the big 3 sports where they only have NFL success and are a perennial putz in MLB and NBA.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The Bruins won their first Stanley Cup since 1972 just this past season.
Ok, so NY football in total has been somewhat better.
Baseball better but only because MLB is broken.
NBA is laughably one-sided
The rest is a draw.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Baseball better but only because MLB is broken.
More like because the Cubs are broken, and the White Sox only marginally less so. Chicago's too big to play the "OMG SMALL MARKET WE CANT COMPETE WITH THE YANKEES" card. That dog will hunt just fine in Milwaukee but Chitown's a whole different ball o' wax.

(disclaimer: I am not a Brewers fan and I'm not even from Wisconsin, just a Pack fan.)

Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I'm going off the edge here and say the Bears have a good chance to beat New Orleans seeing as I was high on them to beat the Falcons!

Early in the season, some teams haven't changed that much, and I look at the Bears being similar to the Packers (don't slam me, just my non-scientific opinion)! Urlacher is back and will be playing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football