Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,167,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Don't they know the hardships of having a child? Especially the way the world is today.
I would argue a lot of people never know the hardships of a child, regardless of age. I don't think 15 year olds should be running around having kids, but I have plenty of young mother/father friends in their early to late 20's who are fabulous parents, and their kids want for nothing. I have a few who chose not to pursue college, but one single mother friend who took an extra 2 years for her bachelor's, but she got it. She's totally in love with her son and says she regrets nothing. I'm a bit confused by your thread title though, because a teenager is not in their 20's. A big difference.

They should know that raising a child takes a lot of hard work and patience with lots of energy, and is expensive. Why don't they enjoy their lives now and wait later on when their really ready?

Again, is anyone ever really ready? My mom had me at 30, I was her second child, and she said she was still scared. We were raised fine.

Expensive, fine. Lots of people get help (free babysitting from family, hand me downs, etc) or just simply do without. Being cheap when a child is young is the way to go, they won't miss it (I'm talking in terms of vacations, designer clothes, etc). Also, plenty of dual income households (even young) can handle the financial demands of one child. My SO and I have decided if I were to become pregnant, we would be more than sufficient to take care of a baby even though we are 23 and 25. We are fortunate to have good jobs and family support, yet I am aware not all folks have this. Since you asked though, I would prefer to have a baby while I am young with plenty of energy. We would still have money, but save at a slower rate. I don't live like a typical 23 year old, so it wouldn't really dampen my "scene". I go out maybe once or twice a month.

And thanks to T.V. "reality shows" like Teen Mom, teenagers girls want to do the same by getting pregnant early.
It may influence some, but I think it portrays the difficulties of being a teen parent. Again, being a teen parent to me is different than being a parent in your 20's. Teen pregnancy rates are also dropping.
Some people are just geared in their 20's. Some aren't. Some don't have a choice (whether religious beliefs or otherwise), but I think you're making this out to be more dramatic than it really is. I can count only a few of my friends who probably aren't really "ready" (emotionally) to be parents yet. For the most part, my friends have surprised me and grown up fast. They are sacrificing, yes, but they are very happy. I have also read studies which I will try to find that interestingly points out having a child early may be easier for your career flexibility than waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,781 times
I am a 22 year old male, currently single and have no kids. I want kids in the future though. Right now would be a bad time for me though as I am still in college and have no job and still live at home. I want to have my first child between 25 and 30. I think I should be financially secure and independent by my late 20's.

There have been several people that have had babies since I graduated high school 4 years ago. Most of the girls had babies with the guys we went to high school with. They struggle and are constantly fighting. They end up dropping out of college to get jobs and are barely making it. Some of them are single mothers and are on welfare working minimum wage. I think it's much better to wait until your late 20's to have a baby. In your early 20's most people are still trying to figure themselves out and plan for the future. Having a baby when you can't afford it is just a bad idea. The children would have to put up with different boyfriend/girlfriends while growing up and due to money restraints won't have as a great a childhood as somebody with more stable parents.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
What better time than your 20s? I had three kids between ages 27 and 31. I can tell you that just that difference of four years made a difference. The one when I was 31 was a lot harder. I was tired and it seemed like it was harder on my body. Harder than the second time and most definitely harder than the first. I can't imagine going through that at 35. I remember in my 20s thinking that women in their 30s were kind of "old" to be having babies too.

It also takes a lot of energy to run around one or two or three kids, so to me it's best to do it while you are young.

My brother and his wife actually had their first when they were in high school (oops) and the second three years later. Not the ideal situation, but it worked out okay and by the time he was 40 he was an empty nester. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Why do teenagers (males and females) these days want to have babies in their early ages such as 20's?

I don't know one teenager that wants a baby in their 20's.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,634 times
If you do it when you're 22, you could be a grandparent at 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology