Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times

Advertisements

I find it so interesting that so many times on this show, the "victim" is usually below average to average looking and they are talking to their catfish, who is usually exponentially more attractive. They claim to have fallen for them, based on the merits of their personalities or common interests. Then when they find out the catfish is unattractive, everything goes out the window. Sure, they deceived them, so they deserve the disregard. But I'm willing to bet if the catfish turned out to be attractive, but maybe in a different way, the victim would agree to continue talking to them. On the other side of the coin, the catfish says, but, but, I was real with you, everything I said was real! (except the fact that I'm ugly!) and they expect the victim to feel sympathy for them. This show just cracks me up. They have had one successful pairing and they are now engaged! And shocker, theyre both attractive....

On last night's, the pretty girl whose picture was being used was introduced to the victim, and he was practically foaming at the mouth to get to know her, because he was already in love with "her face." In the end, she indicated that she would not want to hurt the catfish's feelings by carrying on with him. (Really??? That's your out? Lame!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I find it so interesting that so many times on this show, the "victim" is usually below average to average looking and they are talking to their catfish, who is usually exponentially more attractive. They claim to have fallen for them, based on the merits of their personalities or common interests. Then when they find out the catfish is unattractive, everything goes out the window. Sure, they deceived them, so they deserve the disregard. But I'm willing to bet if the catfish turned out to be attractive, but maybe in a different way, the victim would agree to continue talking to them. On the other side of the coin, the catfish says, but, but, I was real with you, everything I said was real! (except the fact that I'm ugly!) and they expect the victim to feel sympathy for them. This show just cracks me up. They have had one successful pairing and they are now engaged! And shocker, theyre both attractive....

On last night's, the pretty girl whose picture was being used was introduced to the victim, and he was practically foaming at the mouth to get to know her, because he was already in love with "her face." In the end, she indicated that she would not want to hurt the catfish's feelings by carrying on with him. (Really??? That's your out? Lame!!)

I'm not understanding the highlighted.

What did you WANT her to say?

She didn't know that man and wasn't attracted to him. SHE wasn't the one that led him on, it was the ugly fat chick. How is this the REAL girl's fault?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
It's not the real girl's fault, but I just thought that was a lame excuse to get out of getting to know the guy better. She obviously wasn't attracted so she should have just told the truth. Why should she care about the catfish's feelings, it's not like she's her friend or anything. If she was, that would be different.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Lol. I had the same reaction to his superficiality when watching the episode (visual-obsessed mediocre artist). I missed the last few seconds of the episode - if the real woman rejected him, it serves him right. Meanwhile, the woman who was catfishing him was (as usual) the far less attractive person. The show reveals so much about how dating really works.

Often the Catfish is obese, and then I usually feel very little sympathy, because almost no one is trapped in obesity. Earlier this season, Nev gave a "don't be shallow" talk to a "victim" who was also a Catfish and was rejecting her obese equivalent, and they started dating for real. Sadly, last week the guy died of obesity-related complications, showing just why obesity isn't something anyone should ignore in a potential or actual partner.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:55 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Lol. I had the same reaction to his superficiality when watching the episode (visual-obsessed mediocre artist). I missed the last few seconds of the episode - if the real woman rejected him, it serves him right. Meanwhile, the woman who was catfishing him was (as usual) the far less attractive person. The show reveals so much about how dating really works.

Often the Catfish is obese, and then I usually feel very little sympathy, because almost no one is trapped in obesity. Earlier this season, Nev gave a "don't be shallow" talk to a "victim" who was also a Catfish and was rejecting her obese equivalent, and they started dating for real. Sadly, last week the guy died of obesity-related complications, showing just why obesity isn't something anyone should ignore in a potential or actual partner.
Not very sad don't you think? He had it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology