Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

its been played down as "bullying" it was not bullying. it was assault and battery. the "troubled youth" defense is wearing a bit thin. these appear to be mexican kids but posters say they are not. i think they are. and i think that the attack was racially motivated even if no slurs were used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM

224 posts, read 828,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its been played down as "bullying" it was not bullying. it was assault and battery. the "troubled youth" defense is wearing a bit thin. these appear to be mexican kids but posters say they are not. i think they are. and i think that the attack was racially motivated even if no slurs were used.
The original You Tube video listed all the kids names and most were actually Asian which is surprising that they didn't know better as Asian kids get bullied a lot so you would think they would be more respectful of others. One of the kids was Hispanic I think. The part where they threaten to kill her is way past bullying and legally is suppose to be enough to arrest someone. What it does say is these kids are very mentally disturbed if they could even speak like that at another person who was doing them no harm.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
That's only sensible. Good for her.

I think it's now morphed into misdirected passion....
Seriously... all that money? To a woman who was called a few names?
Painful and heartwrenching, yes. But something that's been happening, like we've mentioned earlier in this thread, to adults in schools for decades.

Meanwhile, in ghetto U.S.A. and St. Judes.......
You're right Minnesconsinite...it is a LOT of money...but where does it say there's a cut-off point for people wanting to show their support by sending it...even if it reached a million....the money should not detract....... from the fear and emotional pain this woman endured....if all the people who have been bullied in their lives sent a doller...she'd probably end up a multi millionaire....what she does with this money should not be our concern..it was given to her with no expectations....and it's really NOT about the money.....

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
It's very sad, but they make it seem like it's a freak occurrence in this country when it isn't. There was a study hall teacher in my middle school who was treated horribly by the boys in class. I don't remember if she was literally sweared at or called names, but her lip would be visibly trembling at how these boys talked to her, treated her, and laughed at her. It was terrible. This was the early '90s.
If she was a teacher, why didn't she do something about it? Or was she just a monitor, like the bus lady? If she was a teacher, she could have shouted for everyone to settle down, she could have sent some of the boys to the principal, she didn't have to sit there and take it if she had any authority.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
The original You Tube video listed all the kids names and most were actually Asian which is surprising that they didn't know better as Asian kids get bullied a lot so you would think they would be more respectful of others. One of the kids was Hispanic I think. The part where they threaten to kill her is way past bullying and legally is suppose to be enough to arrest someone. What it does say is these kids are very mentally disturbed if they could even speak like that at another person who was doing them no harm.
Where was the bus driver in all this? If he didn't have any way of calling police after the death threat, he could have driven over to a police station, locked the bus door so no one could get out, and called police over. I've seen this done on city transit buses, though they have some kind of radio or something to call police with.

Who says it's "too much money" for the bus lady? Do you have any idea how much money it takes for someone to make it through retirement in the US, and cover old age expenses, nursing home or home health care? She'll need that money later in life to make sure she doesn't end up in some abusive gov't-subsidized nursing home. Give the woman a break. Everyone deserves a decent retirement. She obviously doesn't have much retirement money saved up, or she wouldn't be working as a bus monitor into what looks like her 60's.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Civil damages are issued by the court to make an example of the unacceptable behavior. Punitive damages can go beyond the lawsuit even, to make a legal precedent.

Agree that bullying has been an issue for a long time in the U.S., but clearly this woman deserved the compensation. It takes awhile for the legal system (and laws that are on the books) to catch up with society's injustices, take a look at the Sandusky case, and prior cases for an example.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree Minnesconsinite...I had a math teacher that some kids would bring to tears sometimes...just to be mean... and that was back in early 70's....It's never acceptable...but will probably always be there....I'm thinking maybe don't give this type of job to someone lessin they got a real thick skin.....I felt tremendous anger watching that film....and I'm thinking that any money that anyone wants to give this woman (even if just in the hopes that she'll still belis free to decide how she wishes to spend or save the money.ve in the goodness out there)...she should keep it....keep it all if she wants.....
I went to high school in the 1970's and teachers had authority to severely punish or suspend any students for doing that. Your school with that math teacher probably had a weak principal that was afraid one of the kid's parents would file a complaint. Just a guess, otherwise just punish them as the authority figure pure and simple! We had a strong principal and strong vice principal that enabled the teachers to discipline those types of kids. Fellow class mates would call anyone crazy for even thinking of messing with a teacher at my school! Lol. Btw, do agree the lady on the bus is free to spend/save the money as she pleases.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:55 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
The recent news articles about the 68 year old grandmother who was bullied by those boys on the bus; after seeing the video, it brought back a lot of memories. I was similarly bullied through what they used to call junior high school, and the first year of high school, by a group of boys who made fun of me, constantly. And I was beautiful, too; just very, very tall (6'3"), very intellectually blue-stocking, precocious, bookish, a violinist, spoke French. Just different.

The things these boys called me -- a group of brass players in the school orchestra, led by this French horn player, were mostly insulting about my size. It was truly horrible. I could not enter a room, or walk down the hall, without hearing these taunts. They tripped me; they pushed me; they called me names. Then in high school I was in a beauty contest, the French horn player was sort of isolated, and it ended.

My point here is that, when I heard the taunts of the boys toward that bus monitor, it all came back; I was similarly attacked, and I didn't do anything about it but go home and cry. My mother was so narcissisic, when I told her about it, she started talking about herself, naturally. We finally moved to another state, the summer before my senior year (but probably not because of my issues at school).

I just wish that somebody had listened to me, somebody had protected me, and the teachers at school had stopped it. Nobody did anything. I went home and cried, and my self-esteem was damaged. I wish, actually, that I had gone up to the French horn player, asked to speak to him privately (he was always in his coterie of other little, abusive boys) and told him if he didn't stop I was going to beat his face in.

Don't tell your children not to fight back.
That sounds almost exactly like my life. Too bad this thread is super old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology